Soak Your Buns

Classified ads for those selling merchandise on external sites.
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Soak Your Buns

Post by jshea »

Any recent experience purchasing through their site? Thoughts?

Couple posts over the years have said it was easy, solid transaction without issue. Just curious if there is any more recent feedback. Thanks.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: Soak Your Buns

Post by jjttdw »

I know a board member who purchased a "minty" print that evidently wasn't mint. He ended up getting his money back.
brintoul
Giant

Post by brintoul »

For the kind of prices they're asking, it oughta come exactly as billed and with a free car wash at the very least.
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

brintoul wrote:For the kind of prices they're asking, it oughta come exactly as billed and with a free car wash at the very least.
d@mn i was hoping "car wash" was a word filter, maybe for HJ :D
on point like a decimalist?
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

I purchased an original from them and it was a pleasant experience. No problems at all.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

PDC wrote:I purchased an original from them and it was a pleasant experience. No problems at all.
Same here.
JErikR
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

IMO, their pricing is ridiculous. But to each his own.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

BTW, who else sells Shep stuff similar to Soak Your Buns with good inventory of stuff? Just curious if they are the main shop right now or if there might be a few other places?
JErikR
russkov
Swindler

Post by russkov »

I've been asking for prices and they obvioulsy are always 20-30% above the price I'd be happy to pay for. And I understood that no discussion is possible, which is painful.
Like the previous, any other place with such a qualitative inventory?
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

It's pretty easy to have a great inventory of things for sale if your asking price is more than anyone is willing to pay.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

- I have a pretty good inventory! :lol: hi peeps ! ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

Craig you are like the only one who can rival those bunsoakers. Do you think their pricing is loco or legit?!
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

hundreddollarhorse wrote:Craig you are like the only one who can rival those bunsoakers. Do you think their pricing is loco or legit?!
What about Robotoil? I remember he had a stunning collection of old classics. Well prints rather than fine art like EC. Those two should do a show? :)
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

slidingaround wrote:
hundreddollarhorse wrote:Craig you are like the only one who can rival those bunsoakers. Do you think their pricing is loco or legit?!
What about Robotoil? I remember he had a stunning collection of old classics. Well prints rather than fine art like EC. Those two should do a show? :)
That would be great show! :)
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

rlbchef wrote:
slidingaround wrote:

the juxtaposition of craig's easiness and robo's toil would be epic
on point like a decimalist?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

whyhoo wrote:
rlbchef wrote:
slidingaround wrote:

the juxtaposition of craig's easiness and robot's oil would be epic
FIFY
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Robo's toil is legendary. Craig is easy like Sunday morning.
soakyourbuns
Punk

Post by soakyourbuns »

What’s the general consensus on the forum about prices of increasingly scarce Shepard Fairey screen prints? We think the prices will rise and that’s why we are not eager to give them away.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

They may rise in the future, but while it's 2014, I'm gonna keep paying 2014 prices.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

What he said
Solar wrote:They may rise in the future, but while it's 2014, I'm gonna keep paying 2014 prices.
ziggy1
Swindler

Post by ziggy1 »

I agree. Some of the prices are more than double the current market. We try to pick stocks with potential value, but we don't pay double for them. The potential appreciation of art or stocks is built into the current price. Having an deep inventory and offering good customer service might justify a 10% to 20% premium. Just my opinion.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I asked about a print one month, came back the next month to say that I would pay the asking price only to be told the price had risen for 50%, from $4k to $6k. Not sure what to say about that. If the business model works then more power to them....it just won't be with my money.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

soakyourbuns wrote:What’s the general consensus on the forum about prices of increasingly scarce Shepard Fairey screen prints? We think the prices will rise and that’s why we are not eager to give them away.
But with that reasoning and if your right about the continued price rise , and I think you are , sometime in the future when print "X" is worth $10,000 in the general market you will still want $15,000 for yours ....then 2 years later when the general market has risen to $15,000 you'll want $25,000 .....ad in finitum

Where do you draw the line and cash in your chips and reap the finantial benefits of your insight.?
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

jjttdw wrote:I asked about a print one month, came back the next month to say that I would pay the asking price only to be told the price had risen for 50%, from $4k to $6k. Not sure what to say about that. If the business model works then more power to them....it just won't be with my money.
Here's the thing, Banksy prints are understood, of course. But Shep's classic-era prints are not yet (in relation to both importance of Shep's overall work and how these prints fare in comparison to say a similar Warhol, Lichtenstein, Haring, et al. The gang here understands them, but there is still some overall nuanced art history background missing, I think (at least in my case).

With this in mind, $6k for a classic era print is stretching at the moment and this is coming from a 5 Beatles Set print owner. So, someone in a leadership position (e.g. someone in the industry) who truly understands the importance of Shep's classic era prints needs to start explaining why they are so great with real color and smart context. Simply putting them at $6k, if that's the case, without any context, just makes people grumpy - and it doesn't really help move the overall Shep market forward either.
JErikR
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

At $6k you can get a fine art piece. Most casual Shepard fans would prefer the fine art to the old screen print. There aren't enough die hard fans that recognize the importance of the old prints (with the means to buy the old prints at $6k) so the prices remain stable.
I stopped following fine art retail years ago (I'm happy with what I have) but my perception is that price lists haven't gone up much in quite awhile. I got turned off after paying a high price tag at Deitch and then the next show at Shepard's Subliminal Gallery had significantly lower prices.
I think Shepard is happy with prices on everything where they are, the prints are mostly through him direct, the fine art is mostly through his own gallery, he can keep low prices to make customers happy and pocket more than most artists in the process.
I think prints and fine art will continue to get pumped out as it always has and while the select 1% of images will be highly sought after, for the most part values will remain where they are today (don't plan on your 2012 HPM Record quadrupling in value anytime soon).
If Shepard continued the progression to shows at better and better galleries then things would change, but I think he's happy with how things are and its holding true to his original concept of cheap prints for everyone.
If retail on fine art remains relative low then this is near the ceiling for print values.
I haven't been paying close attention for the past few years, but this is my take.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006