Question about old Shep Print

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
Hey Guys,
New here, usually post on the banksy and faile forum under the same name... Came here to get some info on an old giant print i bought along time ago...

so this is ofiically the first screen print i ever bought... got it off ebay a hell of a long time ago when i was in high school way back when. just thought it was cool then, liked obey and graffiti, so picked it up for pennys and never thought of it as an investment, just something cool to put on my wall.

anyways... my question is, does anyone have any info on this print? it is 1 of 25 and signed by shep 96'...
Its not for sale as it hold a lil place in my heart being my first purchase... Just want to know more about it if any one could help.

Imag

thanks
-foreman
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

FOREMAN wrote:Hey Guys,
New here, usually post on the banksy and faile forum under the same name... Came here to get some info on an old giant print i bought along time ago...

so this is ofiically the first screen print i ever bought... got it off ebay a hell of a long time ago when i was in high school way back when. just thought it was cool then, liked obey and graffiti, so picked it up for pennys and never thought of it as an investment, just something cool to put on my wall.

anyways... my question is, does anyone have any info on this print? it is 1 of 25 and signed by shep 96'...
Its not for sale as it hold a lil place in my heart being my first purchase... Just want to know more about it if any one could help.

Imag

thanks
-foreman


Welcome!

Giant City
User avatar
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage
 
Posts: 6041
Joined: Apr 3, 2007

please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
User avatar
ideabolo
Giant
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Location: germanistan

ideabolo wrote:http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Giant_City


Gotta be quicker than that! :wink: :lol:

Imag
User avatar
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage
 
Posts: 6041
Joined: Apr 3, 2007

thanks for the wlcome gigantico!, good to see you over here ideabolo thanks for the link!

crazy little story about the bottom images being for postcards... really cool!
interesting to see there is a "no postcard" version of it as well! are these desirable? i really dont collect obey so i havnt a clue. I really love it, Just might be sending it to the framers soon!
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

Gigantico wrote:
ideabolo wrote:http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Giant_City


Gotta be quicker than that! :wink: :lol:

Imag


Imag

FOREMAN wrote:thanks for the wlcome gigantico!, good to see you over here ideabolo thanks for the link!

crazy little story about the bottom images being for postcards... really cool!
interesting to see there is a "no postcard" version of it as well! are these desirable? i really dont collect obey so i havnt a clue. I really love it, Just might be sending it to the framers soon!


yeah foreman, welcome!
that piece definitelly belong on a wall!
let me know if you want to trade it for a banksy... :wink:
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
User avatar
ideabolo
Giant
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Location: germanistan

ideabolo wrote:yeah foreman, welcome!
that piece definitelly belong on a wall!
let me know if you want to trade it for a banksy... :wink:


Im actually holding out for a 'obama hope' print :wink:
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

FOREMAN wrote:
ideabolo wrote:yeah foreman, welcome!
that piece definitelly belong on a wall!
let me know if you want to trade it for a banksy... :wink:


Im actually holding out for a 'obama hope' print :wink:


deal!
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
User avatar
ideabolo
Giant
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Location: germanistan

ideabolo wrote:
FOREMAN wrote:
ideabolo wrote:yeah foreman, welcome!
that piece definitelly belong on a wall!
let me know if you want to trade it for a banksy... :wink:


Im actually holding out for a 'obama hope' print :wink:


deal!


Joking joking ideab! Im keepin my giant city! my sarcasm is a little dry
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

im ok with 1st dips whenever you want to part! :mrgreen:
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
User avatar
ideabolo
Giant
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Location: germanistan

Welcome FORMAN, you have a nice piece of Obey Giant history there!

Alright, if you got one time to break it out. Let's see how many we can account for. Mine is # 17/21. There is also one here. http://www.downlowsf.com/fairey102.html

Imag
User avatar
robotoil
Giant
 
Posts: 6306
Joined: Feb 21, 2006

stunning piece robo!
do you have link to pics of your whole collection?
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
User avatar
ideabolo
Giant
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Nov 6, 2006
Location: germanistan

Is Foreman's the only one known in existence of the "with postcards" variation?
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
User avatar
circa77
Giant
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Jan 9, 2007
Location: California

circa77 wrote:Is Foreman's the only one known in existence of the "with postcards" variation?


I have the ''with postcards" version. It's #20/25.
User avatar
mikep
Swindler
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Feb 14, 2006

circa77 wrote:Is Foreman's the only one known in existence of the "with postcards" variation?


mines numbered out of 25... so theres gotta be more out there...
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

circa77 wrote:Is Foreman's the only one known in existence of the "with postcards" variation?


For what I can understand in the wiki, they were all printed with postcards on the bottom as Shep couldn't afford real postcards. I wouldn't call the print with cards attached a different variation(or version), but rather an "uncut" print out of the same run of 25. No?
User avatar
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage
 
Posts: 6041
Joined: Apr 3, 2007

I think you are right in that both cut/uncut are from the same run. Though, in typical create a mystery Shep style, I think there is some confusion in the size of the run. Mine is out of 21, not 25.
Last edited by robotoil on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
robotoil
Giant
 
Posts: 6306
Joined: Feb 21, 2006

definitely seems to be two different variations one cut and numbered.. the other not cut and numbered...

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Giant_City

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Gian ... _Postcards

"It is assumed that the Giant City No Postcards prints are clipped versions from the same run that produced Giant City. It is considered a variant print due to being numbered differently than the standard Giant City"
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

I have one framed up very nice.
I agree... this one isnt goin anywhere any time soon
unfortunately mine isnt numbered so I cant shine any light on the run size

Imag
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
User avatar
TinManOne
Giant
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Sep 16, 2006

mine is clearly numbered out of 25..
is there an authentication process for obey prints? should i try to track down the person i bought this from? it was a few years ago and i probably wont be able to find him...
i know the print is real... but im just now realizing its value... since i started collecting recently, i like to make sure all my prints have proper documentation, but since i bought this way before i was ever a 'collector' i dont have any receipts... does this matter at all like it does when collecting banksy prints? it there a way i can get the print authenticated?
thanks everyone
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

FOREMAN wrote:mine is clearly numbered out of 25..
is there an authentication process for obey prints? should i try to track down the person i bought this from? it was a few years ago and i probably wont be able to find him...
i know the print is real... but im just now realizing its value... since i started collecting recently, i like to make sure all my prints have proper documentation, but since i bought this way before i was ever a 'collector' i dont have any receipts... does this matter at all like it does when collecting banksy prints? it there a way i can get the print authenticated?
thanks everyone


There is no formal authentication process. That said, we do a pretty good job authenticating pieces here at thegiant.org. I personally, have been collecting for 8 years and have seen them all before anyone would have considered bootlegging a $30 print.
User avatar
robotoil
Giant
 
Posts: 6306
Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Gigantico wrote:
For what I can understand in the wiki, they were all printed with postcards on the bottom as Shep couldn't afford real postcards. I wouldn't call the print with cards attached a different variation(or version), but rather an "uncut" print out of the same run of 25. No?


We made the decision to call it a variation due to:

1. With Postcards being distinctly numebered out of 25
2. Without Postcards being distinctly numbered out of 21


I've seen at least 2 copies, without postcards, numbered out of 21. I've seen at least another 4 copies, with postcards, all numbered out of 25.
User avatar
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Jan 30, 2006
Location: Jersey

Could we email OG and could they confirm? or will shep not really remember?
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

collection/others.php?u=2222
User avatar
jwoods103
Giant
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: May 6, 2008
Location: South Bay

jwoods103 wrote:Could we email OG and could they confirm? or will shep not really remember?


The man remembers all. No joke. Just send him an email. Did you check the book?
User avatar
robotoil
Giant
 
Posts: 6306
Joined: Feb 21, 2006

took a little while.. but finally managed to get my baby framed! museum quality glass and all! Very happy with my one and only shep print! :D How'd I do? :wink:
Imag
Imag
FOREMAN
Punk
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 10, 2008

Next

Return to Website

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron