Shipping with PVC

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
robotoil
Giant

Shipping with PVC

Post by robotoil »

When I'm shipping something really rare/expensive, this is how I do it. Go to Home Depot and pick up a 4" diameter PVC tube. Cut it down to size there and get the end caps. Done and done.

admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re: Shipping with PVC

Post by admonkey »

The environment appreciates everything you're doing. :lol:
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

Do you put that in a mailing tube? Wrap it in brown postal paper? Or, just send it straight away?
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

I do that when I send something overseas.
after putting it in the pvc tube, i put the pvc in a shipping tube.
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

If its good enough to deserve high-brow shipping, its good enough to never be rolled again. Almost all edge damage, corner damage, and those irritating half-crescent soft creases occur from rolling and unrolling.

An unbeatable method is to get two pieces of new gatorboard cut with generous allowances for the print. Lay the print down, and use mylar corners to secure it so that when the boards are later opened, the print won't slip out and get damaged accidentally (you should be able to do this without ever even touching the print). Place the second piece of gatorboard on top, and bundle the package up with tape. Now cut two pieces of 3/16" thick hardboard at the same size as your gatorboard pieces, and sandwich the entire thing, using two or three sheets of kraft paper to hold it all together (wrap the edges and overfold like a nice gift). This provides a very mild amount of flex, is as close to unbreakable as you'll likely ever achieve, its relatively light, and the recipient will be much happier because it can go straight into a frame or a portfolio.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help.
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by jshea »

Tad Ghostal wrote:If its good enough to deserve high-brow shipping, its good enough to never be rolled again. Almost all edge damage, corner damage, and those irritating half-crescent soft creases occur from rolling and unrolling.

An unbeatable method is to get two pieces of new gatorboard cut with generous allowances for the print. Lay the print down, and use mylar corners to secure it so that when the boards are later opened, the print won't slip out and get damaged accidentally (you should be able to do this without ever even touching the print). Place the second piece of gatorboard on top, and bundle the package up with tape. Now cut two pieces of 3/16" thick hardboard at the same size as your gatorboard pieces, and sandwich the entire thing, using two or three sheets of kraft paper to hold it all together (wrap the edges and overfold like a nice gift). This provides a very mild amount of flex, is as close to unbreakable as you'll likely ever achieve, its relatively light, and the recipient will be much happier because it can go straight into a frame or a portfolio.

Good tips. Any idea how much shipping something flat like this costs?
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

In my experience, not much more than shipping with a regular tube. Weird, I know. Packing materials aren't cheap, but if you order them online, its not bad. Its certainly not for all prints, but if its rare/special/expensive, then the peace of mind is worth the extra time and expense to use this method.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help.
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

jshea wrote:Do you put that in a mailing tube? Wrap it in brown postal paper? Or, just send it straight away?

It gets boxed up.
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

Tad Ghostal wrote:If its good enough to deserve high-brow shipping, its good enough to never be rolled again. Almost all edge damage, corner damage, and those irritating half-crescent soft creases occur from rolling and unrolling.

Yep. Shipping flat is preferable, though in this case, the piece is roughly 6'x4', which hardly practical to ship flat. Though, I have even done that before with a Ryden "Snow White".
shawndoc
Posse

Post by shawndoc »

You can also ship in a normal tube, but put the tube in a box that has been lined with thick corrugated cardboard. More environmentally friendly, and can survive a 190lbs man jumping up and down on it.