mose.. what the hell happened...

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
CPO
Swindler

mose.. what the hell happened...

Post by CPO »

to you on the Banksy Board?

(sorry if this isn't where to post this, but a mod can move it if need be)

last thing i saw you posted about EB, and then a post about a possible most contoversial poster of the year, and then you were a guest over there!?

WTF?

I'm guessing you got involved in the JBoy thread and got banned, but man, WTF? you are like one of the few remaining people with common sense over there, and somone who has done a garbage-ton for the community..

maybe you just quit...?

but jeez, that dude is killing that place off.

sorry to see you go.

CPO
Brad
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

Just got tired of it all over there. Shame, but it was a great place at one time with a lot of people I learned much from. But when ebeans got brought up, it really drove home how weak the community was/is over there. There is no Banksy wiki, no London street art database, no one putting in the effort to memorialize the scene, to record what went on for the future to look back on, nothing. Silky has let everything slip away; great members, information, respect. It's all wrong, but then again it was known what Silky was from the beginning so I guess it has all gone as was expected.
noverflow
I think I started this

Re:

Post by noverflow »

So you are saying that I should start theBanksy.org? :D

mose wrote:Just got tired of it all over there. Shame, but it was a great place at one time with a lot of people I learned much from. But when ebeans got brought up, it really drove home how weak the community was/is over there. There is no Banksy wiki, no London street art database, no one putting in the effort to memorialize the scene, to record what went on for the future to look back on, nothing. Silky has let everything slip away; great members, information, respect. It's all wrong, but then again it was known what Silky was from the beginning so I guess it has all gone as was expected.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Re:

Post by conartstudio »

noverflow wrote:So you are saying that I should start theBanksy.org? :D
i say do it because it would definitely tick off a lot of people :mrgreen:
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

fribhey wrote:
i say do it because it would definitely tick off a lot of people :mrgreen:
+pie
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Or start a theSilky.org and see what transpires.

;-)
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Backpackpunk
Giant

Re: mose.. what the hell happened...

Post by Backpackpunk »

Or start an expansion here to do just that, memorialize the scene. thegiant.org already has a great community in place for street art as a whole, we can just expand beyond Obey.
Just don't do 20 million different boards with a log in for each like it is done over there. I wouldn't even have a problem with some extra adds or ebay links like is done over there (maybe not to that extent).
I could see this growing to what people would want the banksy board to be.
Just my two cents.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

The problem is really how much work was needed to make this what it is.

This really is thousands of man hours to get the wiki to what it is today.

I could only imagine what it would take to make it just as detailed for other artists.

Backpackpunk wrote:Or start an expansion here to do just that, memorialize the scene. thegiant.org already has a great community in place for street art as a whole, we can just expand beyond Obey.
Just don't do 20 million different boards with a log in for each like it is done over there. I wouldn't even have a problem with some extra adds or ebay links like is done over there (maybe not to that extent).
I could see this growing to what people would want the banksy board to be.
Just my two cents.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
simococo
Swindler

Post by simococo »

many of the the old posters from banksy are on wallkandy now where WK/Ian does an incredible job of documenting the scene and if you need any info on Banksy they have a couple of chaps who seem to know pretty much everything there is to know..........
password
Giant

Post by password »

The Banksy board to me is...

"OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS PRINT I JUST BOUGHT FROM THIS GEEZER WHO IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT BANKSY! IT IS A CRACKER! HERE ARE DETAIL PICS! GOING TO FRAMERS NOW!"

two weeks later...

"The missus doesn't like the print and threw our cat at me and the force knocked me into a candle that ignited the curtains and burned the flat down. I am now in the hospital and have to pay vet bills as well. Also, I am homeless and my car conked out on me on the way to the hospital and I need to get it fixed. Please buy this print from me for 5x what I paid for it so I can pay the bills and find a place to live. It is the only way I can think of to raise money."
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

noverflow wrote:The problem is really how much work was needed to make this what it is.

This really is thousands of man hours to get the wiki to what it is today.

I could only imagine what it would take to make it just as detailed for other artists.
You guys really do an incredible job and provide and invaluable resource. Thanks so much for that.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

password wrote:The Banksy board to me is...

"OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS PRINT I JUST BOUGHT FROM THIS GEEZER WHO IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT BANKSY! IT IS A CRACKER! HERE ARE DETAIL PICS! GOING TO FRAMERS NOW!"

two weeks later...

"The missus doesn't like the print and threw our cat at me and the force knocked me into a candle that ignited the curtains and burned the flat down. I am now in the hospital and have to pay vet bills as well. Also, I am homeless and my car conked out on me on the way to the hospital and I need to get it fixed. Please buy this print from me for 5x what I paid for it so I can pay the bills and find a place to live. It is the only way I can think of to raise money."
So true
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

mose wrote:Just got tired of it all over there. Shame, but it was a great place at one time with a lot of people I learned much from. But when ebeans got brought up, it really drove home how weak the community was/is over there. There is no Banksy wiki, no London street art database, no one putting in the effort to memorialize the scene, to record what went on for the future to look back on, nothing. Silky has let everything slip away; great members, information, respect. It's all wrong, but then again it was known what Silky was from the beginning so I guess it has all gone as was expected.
For the love of God, YES!

Banksy only has a couple of dozen prints, and maybe a couple of hundred originals. It wouldn't take you that long, I am sure a lot of people, including myself, would be glad to help.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

mose wrote:but then again it was known what Silky was from the beginning so I guess it has all gone as was expected.
i don't spend much time over there and never have so i don't know much other then silky created the site.... out of curiosity, what was it that known about silky from the beginning?
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

fribhey wrote:
mose wrote:but then again it was known what Silky was from the beginning so I guess it has all gone as was expected.
i don't spend much time over there and never have so i don't know much other then silky created the site.... out of curiosity, what was it that known about silky from the beginning?
i'd like to know too. could someone shed some light? I used to follow the board until it got all clustered... could someone PM or post some info?
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

simple, Silky didn't have a good reputation from back in the original Banksy ebay board days. Various issues from being a chancer and general tool to ebaying a backdoor, stolen banksy print and many things in between. This was back in early-to-mid 2006.
ken
Swindler

Post by ken »

Banksy forum really is the Niketalk of the art world, such a shame really...
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

WendyDawson wrote:I'de like to know that also. :D
is this spam? or a legitimate first post whose sig happens to be kinda spamish?
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

fribhey wrote:
WendyDawson wrote:I'de like to know that also. :D
is this spam? or a legitimate first post whose sig happens to be kinda spamish?
Spammer from the Philippines, now removed (I removed the spam link from your quoted reply, too).
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.