Thank you Adam and Mods

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
smartussi
Giant

Post by smartussi »

My power was out for the past couple days...there was a protest??
henna
-

Post by henna »

Yeah, 3 board members were killed by heavy equipment.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
McKenna
World's Smallest Giant

Post by McKenna »

smartussi wrote:My power was out for the past couple days...there was a protest??

The site was replaced with an anti-flipper spiel by Adam for 24 hours (all day Tuesday). I meant to screen-shot it for historical purposes but I forgot :P
rXEL
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rXEL »

adam thank you for your hard work in keeping this site together! im addicted to thegiant.org like i used to be to myspace! keep up the great work..

:)
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

robotoil wrote:
Is there anyone out there that thinks we should have another place to meet, even if it is just temporary or email, should the site randomly go down or be otherwise unavailable?

i kept in touch with a few board members via aim. it was a easy way to do it.

board members feel free to hit me up there.

aim screen name = joelovessushi
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

Nothing is ever equal. Being a member is a privilege not a right. Just like they say about driving.

Robotoil your posts and pictures help people quite a bit and are enjoyed by many. I am sure you will be missed if you decided to leave the forum. But, we are all part of the community IF AND ONLY IF we contribute to the site. I think that is what this was about, people not making an effort to share. I am sure people would enjoy you setting something up for communication but, there will come a time when you will have to make a decision just like Adam.

Peace

Molotov
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Thanks for understanding guys.
I came ready today to defend my self, but it was not neccessiary.

Thank all of you for making the site what it is.

If you missed the protest, it is still here.
http://www.thegiant.org/protest
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
tbafromca
Posse

Post by tbafromca »

I appreciate the site and those responsible for it being a success - owner, mods, and the community.

I support the site through donations and posting. Thanks.

Tim
DZEL
Giant

Post by DZEL »

just when that soapy taste from my childhood has worn off...
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

i do think this site has had a major impact on sell out times, shepard deserves all the credit for his art, but i think the fact that we all get together and talk about the upcomming prints, and getting each other all reved up for the release greatly impacts sell out times... how else could the sudden rush for prints be explained, i think this site along with the book had a huge effect on the shepard fairey fanatics here. i mean 6 months ago a fast sell out was a month, and now its down to less than 90 seconds. And you dont think that this board has a little to do with that?
pogue79
Posse

Post by pogue79 »

I didn't start buying doubles of prints until I found this site. There must be more people buying extras now in hopes of trading them for other prints now that there is a trading community.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Robotoil,
Im sorry you feel this way, but that does not change anything. Im sorry of you feel I need to ask your permission about anything I do. The fact of the matter is I do not.

Im going to stop now with that so I am not replying in the heat of the moment, but I did what I did because I feel the community is headed the way is biskup, and others.

You may see what I did as me pulling my rank card. But the fact of the matter was that I felt bad doing it, but I knew I would feel worse not doing it.

I cant live my life worrying if I should do something because Im scare of what you will think of me. If you leave the site because of this. So be it. But you and everyone else here are always welcome.
pogue79
Posse

Post by pogue79 »

I'm not saying it's hurting...just that it may be one of the reasons that they're selling out so fast now.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Buying 2 is definitely a reason they are selling out so quickly.

The reason I feel trades are not a problem is that it does not affect the perceived value of a print.

The flipping (I feel) is causing print prices to appreciate too quickly. Continuing to do so could possibly cause the market to bust.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

As I stated before, you are always welcome here.
dus
Posse

Post by dus »

All they have to do Supply The Demand. Make the prints out of /100000 and limit them to 2 per household and reissue the old prints. Then:
1 -They are only worth what you initially pay for them
2- Everyone can enjoy the artwork
3- and the flippers can get F*CKED.
4- Shepard makes more money, as more prints will be sold
5- OG's pro peace anti-war message is broadcast to a larger audience (can you imagine if bob marley or bob dylan limited there cd's to /300?)
Its a very simple solution and it will work. Then we can all go onto more important things in our life than arguing and screwing around on message boards.

HAIL SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"And like tha sun disappears only to reappear"
The Time is Near...4-29-07
lunystitchmonkey
Rescue Ranger

Post by lunystitchmonkey »

Robotoil,

I feel like you are misunderstanding something, noverflow was never going to shut down the site forever (although, we did joke about it a lot).

It's just, really, was there going to be ANY OTHER way that you were going to read his stance on flippers and the price inflation of posters if he didn't allow you to click past it? Probably not. He was trying to make a point, he was trying to show that this site does not support the act of flipping.

I realize that when you went onto the site, you were probably annoyed. "How can he do that to us"? The begining of his statement clearly said 24 hours, therefore, just lay off for that time. I also realize that you do not agree with many of his points, however, you must also admit that you are outnumbered in that respect seeing as many other people have posted to this thread with positive messages.

You are entitled your own opinion and I certainly respect and enjoy your contribution to the site, however, you have got to understand that you, just like me, are all just pieces of the puzzle. Noverflow is the Puzzlemaster (yeah, that's right!)!

Moral of the Story: Just see it for what it is and move on.
Some Times...Some Crimes...Go Slipping Through the Cracks.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Just a note. I am not going to be angry at anyone for dis agreeing with what I did. And I would rather know the truth then believe that people agree with me.

So if anyone wants to step up. please do.
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

It's really all about judging peoples motivations and trying to make a statement to protect the dignity of something you love...

in the end, 24 hours of "silent protest" might not have made sense to some people as it did to others but it made a statement without doing real harm. I think thats what Shepard and his work is about and I think thats what Adam is about. Statements rarely have impact if they appeal to everybody. Whether we all agree with the methods or appreciate the medium....can't we all still respect it for what it is?

peace.
Last edited by submit on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrxscarface28
Giant

Post by mrxscarface28 »

I think everyone just needs to take a step back and realize that what's done is done. Adam felt the need to express his feelings over the "flipper" situation, and people showed their appreciation for the site (some for the stand he took). Whether or not he was wrong in doing so, he did it, and it's over with.

Robotoil - It's good to see someone expressing how they truly feel, especially as openly as you did. You and Adam may not agree with each other on this "issue", but it seems like you both are on the same page in the sense that you feel the need to express the way you feel. Adam's already said that everyone is welcome here, so making a statement like "Deal with it. If you feel the need to 'pull the rank card' and kick me off this site, then do it." wasn't necessary. You of all people should know that your opinions on pieces, your vast collection, and just your general banter is taken seriously here ... I mean, come on, they took a vote to give you your own thread.

I just think there was a major misunderstanding when the "argument" here began. The thread was started MAINLy to thank Adam for running the site for FREE, the hard work he put into it, and not to give him Ups or props for shutting it down. Some of the responses may seem so, but generally from what I saw, it was just to thank him for what he's done so far.

My opinion in this matter is that shutting down the site was just a form of expression. You can't get mad at someone for expressing the way they feel about a situation, even if he DID shut down the site. He runs it, manages it, and pays for it himself (and with other mods), so basically if he wants to play the "rank" card for 24 hours to tell us how he feels, then by all means ... let him.

Just my opinion ...
"We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth."

- John F. Kennedy
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Post by C.Morrison »

i agree with Robotoil (which BTW is it Robot Oil, or Robo Toil? Just curious) in that it may have not made a difference. sure it opened some of our eyes, but will it stop flipping? probably not. but i feel like we live in a world where a lot of people complain, but NEVER make the slightest attempt to change anything. or even worse they say one thing to one person, but something else to another. the fact that he made his opinion known and is willing to stand behind it is admirable in my eyes.
TinManOne
Giant

Post by TinManOne »

C.Morrison wrote:i agree with Robotoil (which BTW is it Robot Oil, or Robo Toil? Just curious) in that it may have not made a difference. sure it opened some of our eyes, but will it stop flipping? probably not. but i feel like we live in a world where a lot of people complain, but NEVER make the slightest attempt to change anything. or even worse they say one thing to one person, but something else to another. the fact that he made his opinion known and is willing to stand behind it is admirable in my eyes.

Word... And its Robot oil
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

robotoil wrote:If the site went away tomorrow. Do you think the sell outs would go away? The fact that we get most of the prints is a statement of that fact that we are hard core collectors and had access to inside information. That advantage is gone. OG has stated when the prints come out. Everyone knows now.

i know this is "over" or whatever, but i just want to reply to this one statement, since no one else really did. it is ridiculous for you to suggest that anyone here thinks the lightning-fast sellouts would stop if this site was taken down, and it is also pretty silly for you to think that the site didn't play any part in the sellout time of prints going from a month to only a few minutes in a matter of months. are you suggesting that jason's thread, which let everyone here know of the print release times before OG started the whole "tuesdays at ~12PM PST" had nothing to do with the quick sellouts?

if i remember correctly, the first few times he gave us a heads-up on the print release times, the prints sold out in a few hours. of course, the sellout times quickly shrank to a few minutes once the steady, noon on tuesday release time was in place. i definitely agree that the super-fast sellout times would eventually happen once everyone got used to the steady release date and time, but i think it would have taken a bit longer for some people to catch on if thegiant and jason's thread did not exist. obviously, there is nothing we can do to prove or disprove this, but i think my hypothesis is pretty good.

as for the first two sentences of above-quoted text... COME ON?! do you really think anyone here thinks that? i can't imagine that you assume adam thinks that would happen, if that is to whom you are posing the question. if you got that impression from what he wrote in yesterday's protest, perhaps you need to re-read it.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.