THEGIANT 5TH BIRTHDAY CONTEST! NEW DEADLINE 2/25

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

THEGIANT 5TH BIRTHDAY CONTEST! NEW DEADLINE 2/25

Post by illyanadmc »

in case you haven't heard, 1/29/11 was thegiant's 5th birthday! here's a glimpse into what the forum was like five years ago:

the earliest version available from archive.org's wayback machine!

an early thread/poll

another early thread

quite possibly the very first "new print" thread

in celebration of thegiant's 5th birthday, we're holding a little contest. having seen what the forum looked like five years ago, and what the conversations were like, what do you think the forum will look like five years from now, in 2016?

however you want to interpret that question is up to you! feel free to consider the actual look of the forum, the conversations that users will be having, the prints that will be discussed, anything that you want!

this contest will be held in the same fashion as our wayward art contests. users will sumbit their entries to me, i will post them all in a poll (anonymously), and the submitters' names will be revealed after the winners have been chosen!

so, why should you spend your precious free time to mock up a snarky version of thegiant forum? because of the prizes, of course!

FIRST PRIZE: the user whose submission receives the most votes will win a holiday mandala print, courtesy of our friends over at obey giant (big thanks to kyle for setting up this prize)!

SECOND PRIZE: the user whose submission receives the second-most votes will win his/her choice of any print priced at $150 or lower, currently listed for sale at adam and mary's print shack.

(in the event of a tie for first place, a subsequent poll will be held between only those entries, with the winner of that poll receiving first prize, and the other (or, in the event of a three- or higher-way tie, the second-highest placing submission of that poll) receiving second prize. in the event of a tie for second place, a subsequent poll will be held between only those entries, with the winner of that poll receiving second prize.)

instructions for submitting your entry:

NEW DEADLINE: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 25th at 11:59 PM EASTERN

email your submission to me at artcontest@thegiant.org

your email must include your forum username and an attachment with your submission (preferably in JPG format)

ONE ENTRY PER USERNAME!

the poll will be posted shortly after the submission deadline.

please, have fun with this contest! but remember that you will be judged by your fellow forum members and that the usernames of all submitters will be revealed after voting has ended. please keep in mind the written (and unwritten) rules of the forum when crafting your submission - any entries that violate these rules are subject to rejection. but you can also keep in mind that i have a pretty good sense of humor (despite any evidence to the contrary), so don't be too worried. i've just gotta post this disclaimer stuff in case i end up having to use it!

also, remember that multiple usernames are not allowed here on thegiant, so if i find out that someone has submitted multiple entries using multiple usernames, all of that person's entries will be disqualified. this also goes for those of you who have received special permission to post under humorous aliases!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
noverflow
I think I started this

Re: THEGIANT 5TH BIRTHDAY CONTEST!

Post by noverflow »

Wow... I remember when Josh posted here all the time.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

well, the dealine for the contest is tomorrow night, and so far i've received a disappointing number of entries. i sure hope that i get a ton of them tomorrow!
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

there are a few hours left in the contest, and i sincerely hope that more people enter! seriously, why haven't more people entered? HOLIDAY MANDALA, peeps!
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

I would totally do this but between the Super Bowl and work I am still playing catch up this week. Sorry!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

skoola wrote:I would totally do this but between the Super Bowl and work I am still playing catch up this week. Sorry!
I agree. I would have done something but a one week notice is too short of a period of time. If the deadline is pushed back I should have time to put something together
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

fribhey wrote:
skoola wrote:I would totally do this but between the Super Bowl and work I am still playing catch up this week. Sorry!
I agree. I would have done something but a one week notice is too short of a period of time. If the deadline is pushed back I should have time to put something together

same here - been totally swamped this week but love the contest and have a few great ideas
on point like a decimalist?
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

well, is it okay with everyone if we extend the deadline? those of you who've already entered can send me a revised entry, if you'd like to.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-lets push it back a bit if we can..... swamped on this end...... ec

H A P P Y F R I D A Y ! ! !
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

okay, guys, i'm pushing it back! i'll be out of town next weekend, so the new deadline is friday the 25th (i'll update the post). like i said before, anyone who already entered can send a revised entry, if they want to take advantage of the extra time (obviously, if i don't get anything new from those of you who already entered, i'll use your original entry).

i expect amazing entries, everyone! :D
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re: THEGIANT 5TH BIRTHDAY CONTEST! NEW DEADLINE 2/25

Post by illyanadmc »

i hope all of you are hard at work on your entries! deadline is one week from today.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

i hope that everyone has been hard at work on their submissions - the deadline is tomorrow night!
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

just over six more hours left until the deadline. i've gotten a few awesome entries since the original deadline - here's hoping for a few more!
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

the poll will be up later today!