Site migration - Needs to be down for 24hrs

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
I'm moving the site to a new server. It should be a lot faster, and less expensive.

But to do this, I need to take the site down for at least 24hrs sometime soon.

Any recommendations? Tuesday or thursday would work the best for me.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
User avatar
noverflow
I think I started this
 
Posts: 4662
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: Providence

I think it comes down to your schedule.

Thanks for all you do!
User avatar
adambad
Giant
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Apr 16, 2008

Whenever you think it right for you. Just keep this place open
HRE
Punk
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sep 11, 2010

If you could give us a heads up on the day you'd be shutting it down, that would be great.
User avatar
toyroom
Giant
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Jan 9, 2007
Location: sacramento ca

It's going to be tuesday.
The server will be down during this time and will have issues for a bit after I am sure.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
User avatar
noverflow
I think I started this
 
Posts: 4662
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: Providence

noverflow wrote:It's going to be tuesday.
The server will be down during this time and will have issues for a bit after I am sure.

Sounds good... Have fun moving the databases :twisted:
User avatar
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness
 
Posts: 10661
Joined: Jan 12, 2007

I know it.
I have a feeling a lot is going to break.


conartstudio wrote:
noverflow wrote:It's going to be tuesday.
The server will be down during this time and will have issues for a bit after I am sure.

Sounds good... Have fun moving the databases :twisted:
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
User avatar
noverflow
I think I started this
 
Posts: 4662
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: Providence

noverflow wrote:I know it.
I have a feeling a lot is going to break.


conartstudio wrote:
noverflow wrote:It's going to be tuesday.
The server will be down during this time and will have issues for a bit after I am sure.

Sounds good... Have fun moving the databases :twisted:



have faith! it can't be that hairy
on point like a decimalist?
User avatar
whyhoo
itsame
 
Posts: 7552
Joined: May 20, 2007
Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat

Top Ten Reasons Why Noverflow is Switching Servers.......annnnnnd go!

#10-Preparing for huge crush of traffic leading up to Putin Canvas drop
User avatar
sweetjesus
Propaganda Engineer
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Jul 14, 2011

.

#9. If our website runs smoother, surly Obey Giants website will run smoother during print drops!



































































































































Imag
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
User avatar
easycraig
Giant
 
Posts: 5881
Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Location: Hot Girl Giant !

#8 The site can no longer handle the influx of serious collectors gunning for ducky's warhol.
User avatar
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage
 
Posts: 5960
Joined: Apr 3, 2007
Location: PHX

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
User avatar
easycraig
Giant
 
Posts: 5881
Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Location: Hot Girl Giant !

#7 We are on an old server and this new one is about half cost for 2x the speed.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
User avatar
noverflow
I think I started this
 
Posts: 4662
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: Providence

#6 the site can't handle how many of you guys have big proof forever listed in your collections.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
User avatar
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!
 
Posts: 4946
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: dreaming of providence

Done - ish
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
User avatar
noverflow
I think I started this
 
Posts: 4662
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: Providence

Today is the first day in 3 weeks that I've been able to access the site since it went down. Every time after I signed in, I received an error code during that time and could not see any posts.
lowbrow
Punk
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sep 7, 2006

Sorry to hear that.
Im guessing you don't use the default theme for the site. I didnt know that the fallback theme was not installed in the migration until yesterday.

lowbrow wrote:Today is the first day in 3 weeks that I've been able to access the site since it went down. Every time after I signed in, I received an error code during that time and could not see any posts.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
User avatar
noverflow
I think I started this
 
Posts: 4662
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: Providence

Thanks! What's a default theme? I've just had the Giant forum bookmarked on my toolbar for years and that's how I've always accessed the site.
lowbrow
Punk
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sep 7, 2006

Some people had switched the way that the site looked in their user panel for one reason or another (looks like you were one of them, I just changed it for you so the site should look different now). When the migration happened, the settings they were using didn't exist anymore and they got an error.

lowbrow wrote:Thanks! What's a default theme? I've just had the Giant forum bookmarked on my toolbar for years and that's how I've always accessed the site.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
User avatar
noverflow
I think I started this
 
Posts: 4662
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Location: Providence

noverflow wrote:Some people had switched the way that the site looked in their user panel for one reason or another (looks like you were one of them, I just changed it for you so the site should look different now). When the migration happened, the settings they were using didn't exist anymore and they got an error.

lowbrow wrote:Thanks! What's a default theme? I've just had the Giant forum bookmarked on my toolbar for years and that's how I've always accessed the site.


Thank you, thank you!! I appreciate the help.
lowbrow
Punk
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sep 7, 2006


Return to Website

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron