new forum software bug list

Wiki - Gallery - Forum and More. Discuss them here.
bboygraphix
Giant

new forum software bug list

Post by bboygraphix »

I thought it might be helpful to post found bugs to a thread for Adam to address...

Here's a rather annoying one that I found yesterday:

If you have JavaScript warnings turned on (default is "disabled") in IE, there is an 'object not found' error when typing a message. I traced the client-side code to an onclick event calling "storeCaret(this);" on the input box for the message body of posts and PM's. Every keystroke brings up an error that you have to confirm or cancel debugging after each letter you type. I know most people have these warnings turned off, but some of us developers (I know there's a few) live with JavaScript notifications turned on in their browsers...

Here's the offending code in posting.php:
<textarea name="message" id="message" rows="15" cols="76" tabindex="3" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);" class="inputbox"></textarea>

Hope that helps make this place a little more enjoyable for everyone!
"I don't know how to play chess, but life is a chess game for me." - MBW (haha!)
"When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down"
my design portfolio
online reef tank profiles and marine aquarium blogs
80's BMX bikes
robotoil
Giant

Re: new forum software bug list

Post by robotoil »

On my smartphone, windows mobile 5.0, anything that has been quoted shows up with those large quote marks on top of the quoted text and repeat over the whole quote. Can you remove the quote mark in front of the member name?
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Sadly, I dont know javascript at all. If it was php, or dom stuff I could help. Im not sure what that is doing.

Just use the quick reply at the bottom, and dont go to the reply area I guess...

Unless you know how to help, because as far as I can see and look, that code is exactly what it should be.

bboygraphix wrote:I thought it might be helpful to post found bugs to a thread for Adam to address...

Here's a rather annoying one that I found yesterday:

If you have JavaScript warnings turned on (default is "disabled") in IE, there is an 'object not found' error when typing a message. I traced the client-side code to an onclick event calling "storeCaret(this);" on the input box for the message body of posts and PM's. Every keystroke brings up an error that you have to confirm or cancel debugging after each letter you type. I know most people have these warnings turned off, but some of us developers (I know there's a few) live with JavaScript notifications turned on in their browsers...

<textarea name="message" id="message" rows="15" cols="76" tabindex="3" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);" class="inputbox"></textarea>

I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Fixed by any chance?

robotoil wrote:On my smartphone, windows mobile 5.0, anything that has been quoted shows up with those large quote marks on top of the quoted text and repeat over the whole quote. Can you remove the quote mark in front of the member name?
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

bboygraphix wrote:If you have JavaScript warnings turned on (default is "disabled") in IE, there is an 'object not found' error when typing a message. I traced the client-side code to an onclick event calling "storeCaret(this);" on the input box for the message body of posts and PM's. Every keystroke brings up an error that you have to confirm or cancel debugging after each letter you type. I know most people have these warnings turned off, but some of us developers (I know there's a few) live with JavaScript notifications turned on in their browsers...

I just tried IE 7. Looks like an object hasn't been instantiated.

Line 317
Object expected
posting.php?mode=quote&f=12
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

RObotoil... is the repeating quote error gone?

bboygraphix is the other error gone?

I need an answer to both.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

noverflow wrote:Fixed by any chance?

robotoil wrote:On my smartphone, windows mobile 5.0, anything that has been quoted shows up with those large quote marks on top of the quoted text and repeat over the whole quote. Can you remove the quote mark in front of the member name?

Big quotes still there, and, fixed. Thanks.
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

cant quote more than two people in a row...that was couple days ago...might be fixed
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

extremeimages77 wrote:cant quote more than two people in a row...that was couple days ago...might be fixed

I thought that particular problem, not related to the one I just mentioned, was fixed 2 days ago. Is it back?
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

robotoil wrote:
extremeimages77 wrote:cant quote more than two people in a row...that was couple days ago...might be fixed

I thought that particular problem, not related to the one I just mentioned, was fixed 2 days ago. Is it back?

should be fixed
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

noverflow wrote:
robotoil wrote:

should be fixed

is it?
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

noverflow wrote:
noverflow wrote:
robotoil wrote:

should be fixed

is it?

looks like it
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

noverflow wrote:
noverflow wrote:
noverflow wrote:
robotoil wrote:

should be fixed

is it?

looks like it

mmmm yup...my b.
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
TBlaze
Giant

Post by TBlaze »

Before on my Window Mobile 6 Pro PocketPC Phone I was able to read the forum without a problem, everything looked good, now everything is squished together and half the times I can't get the threads to load, it appears blank to me.
easycraig wrote:I'm in.... whats another $900 when you owe THOUSANDS!!!!!
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

TBlaze wrote:Before on my Window Mobile 6 Pro PocketPC Phone I was able to read the forum without a problem, everything looked good, now everything is squished together and half the times I can't get the threads to load, it appears blank to me.

Things have cleared up for me "somewhat". The repeating "'" was killing me. Now there are repeating lines, which appear to be some graphic, but I have yet to be able to identify anything for which I could point Adam in the right direction.
TBlaze
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by TBlaze »

robotoil wrote:
TBlaze wrote:Before on my Window Mobile 6 Pro PocketPC Phone I was able to read the forum without a problem, everything looked good, now everything is squished together and half the times I can't get the threads to load, it appears blank to me.

Things have cleared up for me "somewhat". The repeating "'" was killing me. Now there are repeating lines, which appear to be some graphic, but I have yet to be able to identify anything for which I could point Adam in the right direction.

I also get those lines, but I thouhg it was only on my side...
robotoil
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by robotoil »

TBlaze wrote:
robotoil wrote:

I also get those lines, but I thouhg it was only on my side...

Adam, I think that "line" may be the top line that has the "postreply"button/Search topic on it. Is it possible to do what ever you did to the repeating quote line there too?
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Can you take a pic and and show me what line it is?

I dont see aline.. But im also a little bunt out.
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

noverflow wrote:Can you take a pic and and show me what line it is?

I dont see aline.. But im also a little bunt out.

Looks to me like you get one line per item in the menu section.

When you are looking at an actual topic, the list goes on and on.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Adam, any chance you can looks at that bug I listed in those screen shots. It's more then just an eyesore. It totally kills the mobile experience.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

i don't want to be rude, but everyone posting bugs needs to be patient and know that adam is working on it. he is doing a full-time internship right now and does not have access to the forum while he is at work (unless he is being sneaky, but i am sure you understand he doesn't want to be caught goofing off), while at home, he is working on getting his portfolio ready and managing this site plus another time-consuming site that is school-related.

he is not ignoring any of this. i am also waiting for him to fix something that has changed the way i read the forum (cannot open links in new tab without the originating page also opening the link), but i haven't bugged him about it for days and am patient enough to realize he is doing his best.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Ill, I understand.
TBlaze
Giant

Re:

Post by TBlaze »

robotoil wrote:Ill, I understand.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Robot oil... I have no clue what those line could even be. If you can give me an image location, I can probably fix it tonight.
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

noverflow wrote:Robot oil... I have no clue what those line could even be. If you can give me an image location, I can probably fix it tonight.

Say, in the discussion area, there are 3 sub-topics. I get 3 lines. This is true for all the areas in terms of the number of lines that get generated. See how some of them have a little blue area at the left? These are the post's new post/no new post graphics. It appears as though the code for these needs to be moved into a different area so that they are nested/appear next to the correct post/menu entry.