New large format prints: Retro Series

News about Obey Giant - Mirrored from front page.
Mailman
Postal Employee

New large format prints: Retro Series

Post by Mailman »

4 new large format prints are coming your way directly from Obey Giant. The Retro series consists of 4 large format prints to commemorate the release of Shepard's book, "Supply and Demand." Each print depicts an evolution of Shepard's design and form, from 1989, 1995, 1999, and 2004. Each large format print print measures 2.5' x 3.5' and is an edition of 89. All prints are signed and numbered.

The set will be available individually, or as a set. As an added bonus, if you purchase the entire set, Obey Giant will include a signed copy of "Supply and Demand".

$400/each or $1200 for the set.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
JTK
Swindler

Post by JTK »

At $1200 for the set, fortuantely the decision to buy or not is not so difficult!
judy_0

Post by judy_0 »

it isnt?
JTK
Swindler

Post by JTK »

It's not a difficult decision when you don't have a spare $1200 lying around. A few hundy is one thing....
Pretty Vacant
Posse

Post by Pretty Vacant »

Just offer Shepard $7. Maybe $8 since it's a set.
PxVx
JTK
Swindler

Post by JTK »

Have to save some money for his LA show in September. Would love to snag a print on aluminum or canvas, if they're available.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

Pretty Vacant wrote:Just offer Shepard $7. Maybe $8 since it's a set.

well, he is throwing in the book. $8.50.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Marilyn
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Marilyn »

What does everyone think about the subtle changes in these prints. For example, he dropped 'giant' from the Obey OG, and on obediance problems hes changed the text from 'giant cured....' to 'obey cured'. sure obeying will cure obediance problems like money will solve money problems, but the obsurdity is gone and now it seems to be just about brand focus. I realize that these are supposed to be 'retro' and not reissues but they feel too revisionist. at the same time, revisionism is so rampant in our society with the neo-con bushies setting the tone, that maybe thats exactly what he is pointing out, although i feel that that interpretation is potentially way too generous.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Marilyn wrote:What does everyone think about the subtle changes in these prints. For example, he dropped 'giant' from the Obey OG, and on obediance problems hes changed the text from 'giant cured....' to 'obey cured'. sure obeying will cure obediance problems like money will solve money problems, but the obsurdity is gone and now it seems to be just about brand focus. I realize that these are supposed to be 'retro' and not reissues but they feel too revisionist. at the same time, revisionism is so rampant in our society with the neo-con bushies setting the tone, that maybe thats exactly what he is pointing out, although i feel that that interpretation is potentially way too generous.

Oh man, I did not even realize that. I guess probably because it was 4:30 in the morning when I did that.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
rotten
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rotten »

yeah, it's interesting that he doesn't use the giant that much anymore on the prints, and opts for pretty much mainly using just obey....think the only ones available on the site that even have giant are the supply and demand prints and the china banner. There's a good question for ya, J. Filipow....any insight into why it's pretty much just obey nowadays?

Marilyn wrote:What does everyone think about the subtle changes in these prints. For example, he dropped 'giant' from the Obey OG, and on obediance problems hes changed the text from 'giant cured....' to 'obey cured'. sure obeying will cure obediance problems like money will solve money problems, but the obsurdity is gone and now it seems to be just about brand focus. I realize that these are supposed to be 'retro' and not reissues but they feel too revisionist. at the same time, revisionism is so rampant in our society with the neo-con bushies setting the tone, that maybe thats exactly what he is pointing out, although i feel that that interpretation is potentially way too generous.
Pretty Vacant
Posse

Post by Pretty Vacant »

Oooh, ooh. Let me try.

I have a friend, whose new girlfriend is a lawyer. She is also new to the firm she's now with, but they apparently represented the estate of Andre the Giant in a lawsuit against Shepard (or one or all of the companies?). Not sure exctly how long ago this was, but I think that just might have something to do with it. Obviously, the suit was unsuccessful at least to some degree, but might this have been a stipulation?
PxVx
LiNk
Site Admin

Post by LiNk »

I want the card one. I've always loved that print.

-LiNk
-LiNk

Eternally the sun has set to mourning
And contoured are the backgrounds
On the canvas to which our lives are painted
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

Pretty Vacant wrote:they apparently represented the estate of Andre the Giant in a lawsuit against Shepard (or one or all of the companies?).

i don't think the suit was unsuccessful, i think it was settled between shepard and the estate. one of the things that it changed was the obey icon stencil, which was modified to look less like andre. you can see what i think is the original version on page 78 in the supply & demand book (picture on the bottom right). it's the only place in the book i remember noticing the different image. changes for the retro series are probably better left to jason f. to comment on, though i agree that the caption "obey cured all my obedience problems" is awkward at best.
Marilyn
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Marilyn »

I called Jerry immediately after it was released and placed my order. Who else has ordered the set or a single or 2, for that matter ?
Be Honest. I know more than you can imagine.
misano
Punk

Post by misano »

Marilyn wrote:I called Jerry immediately after it was released and placed my order. Who else has ordered the set or a single or 2, for that matter ?

Is it possible to order the set or one print via Jerry's website?
Perplexed
Punk

Post by Perplexed »

misano wrote:
Marilyn wrote:I called Jerry immediately after it was released and placed my order. Who else has ordered the set or a single or 2, for that matter ?

I think you can but he orders them in specially. He doesn't get them as a matter of course.
Marilyn
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Marilyn »

Perplexed wrote:
misano wrote:

I think you can but he orders them in specially. He doesn't get them as a matter of course.

Jerry can get them for you, but they're not on his site. You can give him a call to get the ball rolling or send him an email @ sales@duckywaddles.com. I'd like to add that the set is awe inspiring ! Mine are still in the tube as I'm looking at framing options. At the same time i'm looking at wall space options because they are enormous! Tell Jerry that Marilyn sent you :wink:
Be Honest. I know more than you can imagine.
misano
Punk

Post by misano »

Thanks for the help, and I will tell Jerry! :wink:
ChapPKP
Propaganda Engineer

Post by ChapPKP »

I just checked out the shipping costs on the Retro Series....$144...WOW!
Check Out my EBAY Auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZchappkp