Screenprint, Lithograph or Conniption?

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Cookie Head
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by Cookie Head »

stickee wrote:

FROM PEEL MAGAZIE WEBSITE

OBEY PEEL Shepard Fairey Print $45.00

Click to enlarge

Only 3 prints per household please

Numbered Edition of 250
Two color print silkscreened on heavy archival paper
15" x 22" Hand printed by Peripheral Media Projects

Shepard worked over the cover of PEEL #7 to create this extremely high quality silkscreen print.

Current Reviews: 1

This product was added to our catalog on Sunday 21 January, 2007.

FROM DUCKYWADDLES

PEEL (BLK-9142)

"PEEL", Shepard Fairey, Serigraph, 2007, Limited edition of 250, signed by the artist. 15"X22" A quality prin t on archival rag with deckled edges.

Our Price: $150.00

Item in stock!

Thats one of the ones I found on your site that you have "correctly" called a serigraph
Is that 'cos you are trying to get "respect" from collectors by charging over 3 times the price you can buy it from the original website for? :roll:

How come virtually all of your "serigraphs" are listed as screenprints and not one of your lithographs you have labled as a reproduction??? hmmmm

practise what you preach

The prints form peel are unsigned. The Peel Print on DW is a signed edition. At least he lists his lithos as just that. Leaving lithograph out of the description in the ebay auction seems a little sketchy, but buyer beware.
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

bigstrunso wrote:Image
PDC
Giant

Re: Screenprint, Lithograph or Conniption?

Post by PDC »

robotoil wrote:
jshea wrote:I don't see anything stating it was a "screenprint" or "serigraph," only a "print"...and that term gets thrown around very loosely. He does clearly state it's 24x36 and part of an edition of 750. Add in the picture and it should be obvious to a buyer that it's the offset.

I actually disagree with this. Shepard Fairey and other artists selling similar types of prints don't always have an educated art audience. I think prints on ebay should always be clearly labeled with the printting technique. They don't have to be defined but they should be labeled, Screen Print/Serigraph, Giclee, Lithograph, etc. On this board or other boards, it's a different story because it is safe to say people know what they're purchasing. However, on ebay a lot of people really are clueless.
Last edited by PDC on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

The repost of Jerry's picture was for Jerry's benefit btw..........
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

I just checked ebay for some more info. If you list the select "Original Print", it lets you choose "Screenprint/Seriograph", "Lithograph" and others as the print type. If you choose "Artwork Reproduction", it lets you choose "Offset Lithograph." By this, I am assuming that ebay defines a screen print as original art and an offset lithograph as an artwork reproduction. Although you could argue that on offset is original.
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by bigstrunso »

rhombus_77 wrote:I just checked ebay for some more info. If you list the select "Original Print", it lets you choose "Screenprint/Seriograph", "Lithograph" and others as the print type. If you choose "Artwork Reproduction", it lets you choose "Offset Lithograph." By this, I am assuming that ebay defines a screen print as original art and an offset lithograph as an artwork reproduction. Although you could argue that on offset is original.

Hmmm, I was wondering if EBay defines their terminology anywhere.........
jwaddle
Posse

Re:

Post by jwaddle »

rhombus_77 wrote:I just checked ebay for some more info. If you list the select "Original Print", it lets you choose "Screenprint/Seriograph", "Lithograph" and others as the print type. If you choose "Artwork Reproduction", it lets you choose "Offset Lithograph." By this, I am assuming that ebay defines a screen print as original art and an offset lithograph as an artwork reproduction. Although you could argue that on offset is original.

It looks like ebay has it right. It's just up to the seller to make the right choice. I never suggested the he label his print as a reproduction I only suggested that he add "offset" to avoid confusion.
Jerry @ Ducky Waddle's Emporium
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

jwaddle wrote:

It looks like ebay has it right. It's just up to the seller to make the right choice. I never suggested the he label his print as a reproduction I only suggested that he add "offset" to avoid confusion.

Yes, you did "suggest" that about a half hour before my auction ended.
stinkypete
Giant

Post by stinkypete »

as far as ebaying is concerned wouldn't a fair definition of original be " produced by the artist" and repro " copied from the artist's work by someone else"
an offset which shep sells is still sheps original work
anyhoo..........
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
jwaddle
Posse

Re:

Post by jwaddle »

bigstrunso wrote:The repost of Jerry's picture was for Jerry's benefit btw..........
Nice defensive move. It's just too bad that no one understands what you are talking about. Try again. I recall earlier that someone posted "Don Knox", was that you too. I guess that by now you are aware that his name was Don Knotts.
jwaddle
Posse

Post by jwaddle »

stickee wrote:FROM DUCKYWADDLES

PEEL (BLK-9142)

"PEEL", Shepard Fairey, Serigraph, 2007, Limited edition of 250, signed by the artist. 15"X22" A quality prin t on archival rag with deckled edges.

Our Price: $150.00

Item in stock!

Thats one of the ones I found on your site that you have "correctly" called a serigraph
Is that 'cos you are trying to get "respect" from collectors by charging over 3 times the price you can buy it from the original website for? :roll:

How come virtually all of your "serigraphs" are listed as screenprints and not one of your lithographs you have labled as a reproduction??? hmmmm

practise what you preach

Pick apart my web site if you wish Your criticisms are justified. For a long time all of my site work was done by my employee because I did not have the knowledge or expertise to do it myself. This has recently changed and I am slowly editing the text to conform to a higher standard. It is a huge job and too much for me to do all at one time but my efforts continue. At least I admit that I recognize the problem and I am making an honest effort to make my site better. It was never an attempt to deceive anyone. Yes, my PEEL prints are signed and at one time appeared on the PEEL site as "Sold Out" hence my higher price. I guess I should lower the price so people can buy from me and then flip it on ebay. Many of my prints are purchased in the secondary market and as I pay more I must sell for more. many of you have sold me prints and continue to contact me for this purpose and I always try to be fair and to pay close to a market price. This in many instances causes my margin to be quite small until or unless the value of the print increases with time. Many of my purchases are made to keep my stock high and to have art to sell in the future. I always try to be fair both buying and selling. The decision to complete a transaction with me always remains in the hand of the other party. I force no one to either buy from me or to sell to me. I have sold thousand of artworks in my long career and have always tried to give good value for money spent. Anyone feeling that I have taken advantage of them can speak freely and I will listen. I have never misrepresented anything that I have sold and I have thousands of very satisfied clients that continue to return to my gallery to do business with me. Apparently bigstrunso had some sort of complaint with me and I asked him about it so I could rectify it but he has yet to reply in a manner with which I am able to respond. He just continues to make unsupported allegations. As long as he remains anonymous I have no way of knowing what his complaint is.
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

I didn't have aproblem with you until you unnecessarily began harrassing me in regard to my EBay auction.

I don't order from you because of your shipping methods. I have not made any unsupported allegations about your business. Go and measure your tubes that you ship Obey prints in and let the folks know their diameter. Once you state that, I don't think I'll need proof to show you way over roll your prints.

This is at least the third or fourth time I've stated this to you so I'm not sure why you continue to state you don't know what the problem is.

The only reason I even get into this is because I think you are a complete arse and my bringing this up makes about as much sense as your silly campaign.

btw Jerry - I think most folks know who Don Knotts is and if they don't..........well I'm sure they'll get my thinly veiled reference.
henna
-

Post by henna »

Oh, another thread where waddle is being a dou che and pissing all over the place. How were we lucky enough to make you leave last time? Please remind me.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
jwaddle
Posse

Post by jwaddle »

My damage claims are less than 1%. You are the only one that has complained about the way I roll prints. When I started rolling prints tighter to leave room inside the tube to lessen the likelihood of damage if the tube received a hit, my damage claims plummeted and eleven months went by before I had my first damaged print. and when I passed the information about my success along to Shepard, they adopted the same technique with the same results. All you have to do is let the print "relax" (framers often use this term for their practice of straightening prints that have been rolled). If you don't handle the print carefully when you unroll it you can easily cause damage but the damage is from the way you handle the print not from the way I ship it.
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

jwaddle wrote:My damage claims are less than 1%. You are the only one that has complained about the way I roll prints. When I started rolling prints tighter to leave room inside the tube to lessen the likelihood of damage if the tube received a hit, my damage claims plummeted and eleven months went by before I had my first damaged print. and when I passed the information about my success along to Shepard, they adopted the same technique with the same results. All you have to do is let the print "relax" (framers often use this term for their practice of straightening prints that have been rolled). If you don't handle the print carefully when you unroll it you can easily cause damage but the damage is from the way you handle the print not from the way I ship it.

Shep is getting packaging tips from you?

Everything is beginning to make sense now.............
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Is this similar to a reality telelvision show where the viewing audience believes it is true.
However, everything is just scripted, acted out and the jokes on us?
;-)
jwaddle
Posse

Post by jwaddle »

bigstrunso wrote:Shep is getting packaging tips from you?

This was long ago. Time passes, employees change, packing techniques change. When I was there recently I saw prints being packed for shipping and was sure that the technique being used for the large format Vote and Obama Hope prints would result in damage to the edges and if you peruse the complaints on this forum in that regard you will see that my fears proved correct but that has nothing to do with me or my techniques. You have made just one more smart a** comment that has no merit but makes you feel good. All warm and fuzzy now?
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

jwaddle wrote:
bigstrunso wrote:Shep is getting packaging tips from you?

This was long ago. Time passes, employees change, packing techniques change. When I was there recently I saw prints being packed for shipping and was sure that the technique being used for the large format Vote and Obama Hope prints would result in damage to the edges and if you peruse the complaints on this forum in that regard you will see that my fears proved correct but that has nothing to do with me or my techniques. You have made just one more smart a** comment that has no merit but makes you feel good. All warm and fuzzy now?

Have a nice life Jerry.
tpeazy
Propaganda Engineer

Post by tpeazy »

:evil:
Last edited by tpeazy on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamboozle
Posse

Post by Bamboozle »

that was a good read.
oh and it's pokemon, not pokimon
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

jwaddle wrote:Yes, my PEEL prints are signed and at one time appeared on the PEEL site as "Sold Out" hence my higher price. I guess I should lower the price so people can buy from me and then flip it on ebay. Many of my prints are purchased in the secondary market and as I pay more I must sell for more.

you buy on ebay ("secondary market") and flip so why do you care if someone else buys from you and flips, i mean, sells on the secondary market?
Last edited by conartstudio on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJBuck
Swindler

Re:

Post by MJBuck »

dup post.
Last edited by MJBuck on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJBuck
Swindler

Re:

Post by MJBuck »

Bamboozle wrote:that was a good read.

and 15 minutes I'll never get back...
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Re:

Post by MrMurk »

henna wrote:Oh, another thread where waddle is being a dou che and pissing all over the place. How were we lucky enough to make you leave last time? Please remind me.

ahaha...ahem.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
star e nite
Punk

Post by star e nite »

That was fun. More more more!...