BAST Forgeries - lb1469

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
fautebol
Punk

BAST Forgeries - lb1469

Post by fautebol »

Some FAKE (BAST) collages have been sold on ebay recently:

These are fakes:

They were sold by "proudbasque":
http://cgi.ebay.com/BAST-ONE-OF-A-KIND- ... dZViewItem
fautebol
Punk

Post by fautebol »

inkdigital
Propaganda Engineer

Re: BAST

Post by inkdigital »

looks like he/she used the signed page of the book and collaged on the reverse.
Definitely different from the ones that came with the book.

hes also sold a few red / blue progress prints.
password
Giant

Post by password »

Did I ever tell you guys that I F'ing love BAST?

[from BASTNY intro page]:
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Bast is amazing.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

easycraig wrote:
robotoil wrote:Bast is amazing.

- I know he is..............

- but what am I .......? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two wrongs don't make a right.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

:?:
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

dirtyd0369
Giant

Re:

Post by dirtyd0369 »

dirtyd0369 wrote:http://www.bastny.com/frame_controle.pl?goto=frame_body_set_v1.html&menu_select=news

This is one half of the story... I know the person being called out by bast is a board member. I won't call him/her out because I've dealt with them in the past and had nothing but good experience. So here is an opportunity to clear the air.

Either way Its uncool of Bast to put personal info out their like that... Too many crazy people in the world.
circa77
Giant

Re:

Post by circa77 »

dirtyd0369 wrote:http://www.bastny.com/frame_controle.pl?goto=frame_body_set_v1.html&menu_select=news

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've had a few dealings with Leo (if thats his real name) on this forum. Nothing but good stuff, but this is crazy!
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
rhombus_77
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by rhombus_77 »

dirtyd0369 wrote:

This is one half of the story... I know the person being called out by bast is a board member. I won't call him/her out because I've dealt with them in the past and had nothing but good experience. So here is an opportunity to clear the air.

Either way Its uncool of Bast to put personal info out their like that... Too many crazy people in the world.

I think it was appropriate (maybe not posting home/work info, though). The person was evidently making fake Bast art. From what I read, it was similar to Rxel making Obey HPMs.
DZEL
Giant

Post by DZEL »

i think there is DEFINITELY more to this story...

i can understand bast's anger and frustration but outing someone publically like that w/out knowing the full story...WACK.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

DZEL wrote:i think there is DEFINITELY more to this story...

i can understand bast's anger and frustration but outing someone publically like that w/out knowing the full story...WACK.

To be fair to Bast, if the work is indeed counterfeit they have every right to their customers and fans to revel if any work is being counterfeited and by whom to protect their client base.
Also its not like its an "old guy who bought work because a kid told him to" this person knows Basts work well. I know for a fact that he bought 10 of the signed books with added art, I am assuming these are the pieces that are being counterfeited or re-created.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Im all for Bast outing the guy. What missing part of the story is there? Sounds like they've done their homework to me.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

Why would you glue stuff to an original?
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
dirtyd0369
Giant

Re:

Post by dirtyd0369 »

Exactly! something sounds wierd about the whole thing...

circa77 wrote:Why would you glue stuff to an original?
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by bigstrunso »

Bonesy wrote:Im all for Bast outing the guy. What missing part of the story is there? Sounds like they've done their homework to me.

agreed
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

i'm all for the outing. unless there's some misunderstanding (which i don't think)... this dirtbag gets what's coming to him. if i was an artist and someone did this to me, i'd totally sh*t a brick also
mrxscarface28
Giant

Post by mrxscarface28 »

Posting addresses and phone numbers is a completely vindictive move ... NOT cool. Even if he did what BAST says he did, that is NOT how to handle things.
"We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth."

- John F. Kennedy
mrxscarface28
Giant

Post by mrxscarface28 »

"We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth."

- John F. Kennedy
michaelm
Swindler

Post by michaelm »

counterfeits bast. sells shep's free obama image. great guy! i can see why people in this thread are reluctant to post his username on the forum.
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Post by MrMurk »

Dollar
Dollar
Bills
Ya'll
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
giiiant
Swindler

Post by giiiant »

Definitely deserved an outing. Had is just been the Basts being forged then perhaps it would have been worth looking into it a bit deeper, but look at the amount of fake Obama prints he has sold. The way he has one account for selling dodgy goods and one for selling legit prints shows he knew exactly what he was doing. Karma's a bissssh.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Posted on Banksy board
I bought 2 of the fake Bast art cards on ebay and i just wanna say thanks to the Bast ny crew for getting me all my money back
Cheers much respect for how you dealt with it
The guy emailed me afterwards and admitted he sold me fakes claimed "he was a victim" but he sent me provance in way of a receipt from Bast ny which I forwarded to them and they confirmed was mocked up forged receipt with his name on it, so he's caught bang to rights
Respect to Bast ny for sorting this out

So the seller claims to be a victim "Joe from the bar in NYC sold them to me" but provides forged Bastny receipts to the folks he sells Joe's prints to. Ridiculous.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
sabeth
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by sabeth »

dirtyd0369 wrote:

Ditto on the good experience. But if Bast is right, and it looks to me like he is, then I'm afraid he had it coming to him.
Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC