New International Shipping costs @ OG

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Why keep complaining about the customs fees aspect? I agree it does suck, and am very happy we dont have that, but thats something you should take up with France- its not the artists responsibity to help you avoid customs charges.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
daanmuller
Posse

Re: Re:

Post by daanmuller »

admonkey wrote:I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think the rush of passions surrounding the increase in International shipping has flipped the logic switch to "off" on what does or does not constitute a "value."

And who knows? Shepard may eventually find a lower cost way to ship overseas.

But if he doesn't, I think his art is still a decent deal, even with the new shipping fees.

So you wouldnt mind a bit paying $80-150 shipping within the states? I guess I should send them an email to up their US shipping charges as they are missing out on a lot of money that people dont mind giving them...
Art by Daan - My artblog
daanmuller
Posse

Re:

Post by daanmuller »

Bonesy wrote:Why keep complaining about the customs fees aspect? I agree it does suck, and am very happy we dont have that, but thats something you should take up with France- its not the artists responsibity to help you avoid customs charges.

You are absolutely right.
But in their defense, custom fees get charged over a certain treshold amount and the shipping fee is included in this amount. So the new shipping fees and shipping method have as an added bonus now another 20-25 % extra over the total.
Art by Daan - My artblog
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

daanmuller wrote:
admonkey wrote:I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think the rush of passions surrounding the increase in International shipping has flipped the logic switch to "off" on what does or does not constitute a "value."

And who knows? Shepard may eventually find a lower cost way to ship overseas.

But if he doesn't, I think his art is still a decent deal, even with the new shipping fees.

So you wouldnt mind a bit paying $80-150 shipping within the states? I guess I should send them an email to up their US shipping charges as they are missing out on a lot of money that people dont mind giving them...

Of course I would mind! I haven't said overseas buyers "shouldn't mind." All I've said is that the prints, even with the additional shipping fees, are still priced at a reasonable value compared to other artists of Shepard's stature.

The comment about Shepard leaving money on the table was to point out the logic-by-a-thread statement of being happy to pay $100 for a print and $35 for shipping but not $35 for a print and $100 for shipping. It's $135 either way (regardless of if you want to grumble that only $35 is actually going to the artist or not).

Believe me, I've been a big advocate of International buyers in this issue.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

i'm calling all international buyers to organize in a vendetta.
daanmuller
Posse

Post by daanmuller »

A vendetta, does that involve sawed off shotguns and funny hats?
Art by Daan - My artblog
stinkypete
Giant

Re: New International Shipping costs @ OG

Post by stinkypete »

ouch
are they sending the tubes business class
sucketh imo
ebay wins OG loses
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by jshea »

daanmuller wrote:A vendetta, does that involve sawed off shotguns and funny hats?

Silly hats only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPVuGBc9jI
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

way i see this is this. I understand totally that OG and Shep would want there prints sent to you , having the peace of mind that your print/item is in the best hands possible. But my only issue is that we're not given a choice.
other wise I'd have no gripe. Yes the cost of his art is untouchable as a product but when that product is carried with a charge roughly 2 times the price of the item purchased for example..then we got a problem.
I'm sure OG are constantly reviewing there service. We know there not a bunch of buttocks holes from all the inside info were given here. And they sure ar'nt obliged to.
But still i feel the pain , i'm merely saying to have some patience. Shep has'nt announced he is quitting just yet . Plenty more prints in the sea.

:D

By the way. I'm after a Casbah Blk/gld ;)
SYPRUX
Posse

Re:

Post by SYPRUX »

[quote="Dizzyegg05"]way i see this is this. I understand totally that OG and Shep would want there prints sent to you , having the peace of mind that your print/item is in the best hands possible. But my only issue is that we're not given a choice.quote]

Totally agree with you old european :wink:
I can't accept that we can't have the choice to choose and by consequence to accept the risk of each shipping methods!
I smell a busniness with UPS, it's the only thing!
I don't pay UPS for their transport, I pay The ARTIST!!!!
I will not be on any print of shep except when the print will be totaly amazing.....which is not the case since a long time.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

It sucks for all you guys, I can just imagine. However, are you willing to relinquish all claims to a print should it be lost in the mail. I think that is what Obey is after. The ability to verify that a print was received by the buyer, so they don't get a charge back claim. They want to collect themselves. Having to deal with claims, costs money in charge backs or at the very least employee time working out the whole issue. Any idiot could guess the overseas buyers would be annoyed at a rate hike. They didn't do it for fun, they did it for business reasons. I know I have been screwed by international shipping, and I rarely ship over seas. That's my piece.
SYPRUX
Posse

Post by SYPRUX »

But I habe baught around 30 prints in USA and any has been damaged!!! ANY! and all by USPS!!!!
Thaw maybe the USPS internationnal shipping is better than your US flat rate shipping!
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

w00t got my system on paypal to work , my cc # and my mate's adress in usa , im back in the biz baby :D
wont get casbah tho hehe
lepublicnme
Giant

Re:

Post by lepublicnme »

hercylicious wrote:w00t got my system on paypal to work , my cc # and my mate's adress in usa , im back in the biz baby :D
wont get casbah tho hehe

good news, i will set an equivalent !!

XXXX
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

lepublicnme wrote:
hercylicious wrote:w00t got my system on paypal to work , my cc # and my mate's adress in usa , im back in the biz baby :D
wont get casbah tho hehe

good news, i will set an equivalent !!

XXXX

yes , i moved cash from one paypal from another but couldnt send money , limit bollox i dont know what , i had to enter a different card number from what was on my original paypal (wifey's card in this case) , and even with not the same adress on card and billing it worked , got the 4 digit code and now limit is raised :D
hooray!

its gonna be even cheaper than previous shipping rates , 10 bucks delivery to usa , 10.30 bucks delivery to me via first class : 20.30 bucks hehehe
daanmuller
Posse

Re:

Post by daanmuller »

djsp wrote:I think that is what Obey is after. The ability to verify that a print was received by the buyer, so they don't get a charge back claim. They want to collect themselves. Having to deal with claims, costs money in charge backs or at the very least employee time working out the whole issue.

Well this will be the last I say about it.

But let's assume 75 prints were going to Europe. The shipping cost from Obey was something like $38. Actual postage is about $16. That leaves $22 for a tube, a label and handling. So 75 x 22 = $ 1650. On an avarage of 3 prints a month that leaves OG with $4950 in change. In my opinion that should be enough to hire someone fulltime to handle shipping prints to Europe and the extra hassle.
Art by Daan - My artblog
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

daanmuller wrote:
djsp wrote:I think that is what Obey is after. The ability to verify that a print was received by the buyer, so they don't get a charge back claim. They want to collect themselves. Having to deal with claims, costs money in charge backs or at the very least employee time working out the whole issue.

But let's assume 75 prints were going to Europe. The shipping cost from Obey was something like $38. Actual postage is about $16. That leaves $22 for a tube, a label and handling. So 75 x 22 = $ 1650. On an avarage of 3 prints a month that leaves OG with $4950 in change. In my opinion that should be enough to hire someone fulltime to handle shipping prints to Europe and the extra hassle.

I can appreciate what you are saying, but still that is not a call we can make, and I am pretty sure it did not involve Shepard thinking that people would be excited about the change. It was a business decision, and we have no idea what went into making the decision. I can tell you though, not that it is an accurate comparison, in my little selling on ebay, I don't let people dictate to me how much I ship for. And considering that most people on this forum ship for $15, and it costs less to ship a print than that...you can see where I am going with this.
And please don't take this as me saying this new set up is right or wrong. I don't look at Obey as some benevolent society that is meant to do right by us all the time. It is a business. They made a business decision. That is all. It is a calculated risk. I doubt it will affect them much. It could, but I doubt it. Speak with your wallets. If sales go down, things will change.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

djsp wrote:
daanmuller wrote:

I can appreciate what you are saying, but still that is not a call we can make, and I am pretty sure it did not involve Shepard thinking that people would be excited about the change. It was a business decision, and we have no idea what went into making the decision. I can tell you though, not that it is an accurate comparison, in my little selling on ebay, I don't let people dictate to me how much I ship for. And considering that most people on this forum ship for $15, and it costs less to ship a print than that...you can see where I am going with this.
And please don't take this as me saying this new set up is right or wrong. I don't look at Obey as some benevolent society that is meant to do right by us all the time. It is a business. They made a business decision. That is all. It is a calculated risk. I doubt it will affect them much. It could, but I doubt it. Speak with your wallets. If sales go down, things will change.

Agree 100%, its about them having tracking foremost. As someone that ships many tubes abroad the fact that the US is very accountable for tubes shipped here but some other countries suk in these practices upsets me and I can see why Obey wants the tubes to be handled by one carrier (UPS) and not have to deal with crappy tracking by foreign shipping agencies. Not being rude, its the truth.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

just received a mail from jaspr.

We have now included USPS as a shipping option on our new shopping cart. Thanks!
Jaspr

i think we won guys :D

edit : just tried to place an order , i didnt see it.
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

Good stuff!

Thanks Jaspr (if you are reading this)
Thanks Mr Fairey!

and thanks Admonkey ;)
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
stinkypete
Giant

Re:

Post by stinkypete »

stickee wrote:Good stuff!

Thanks Mr Fairey!

and thanks Admonkey ;)

what he said
thumbs up to obeygiant for this
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
Schoki
Punk

Post by Schoki »

WOW! Thanks Obey from Germany ! That´s good news!
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

stinkypete wrote:
stickee wrote:Good stuff!

Thanks Mr Fairey!

and thanks Admonkey ;)

what he said
thumbs up to obeygiant for this
Herr_E
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Herr_E »

Schoki wrote:WOW! Thanks Obey from Germany ! That´s good news!

:D
lepublicnme
Giant

Re:

Post by lepublicnme »

hercylicious wrote:just tried to place an order , i didnt see it.

there is still no choice when you try to complete an order.
I hope it will come...

XXXX