Is someone going to take down this miniposter jerk?

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
mr Revs
Giant

Is someone going to take down this miniposter jerk?

Post by mr Revs »

What is the deal with guy. I don't know what annoys me more: the fact that when I search for Shep prints half of the listing are for miniposters or that this guy actually gets away with selling these. Why doesn't the OG camp give this guy an official beat down?
Check out my T-shirt quilts
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

he/she is cutting photos out of Shepards book and selling them. I dont think there is anything that can be done about that.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
saintjordan
Propaganda Engineer

Post by saintjordan »

ya, he is not doing anything wrong. circa is right, he is just cutting photos out of shep's book. he's not selling "fake" obama pasters or anything give him a break lol
Employ Cognitive Dissidence

"Why would solar power make him sick? Is he a republican?" -Michael J. Caboose
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

I just want to know who is actually paying $20 for these.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

At least he puts "mini" in there to give us a hint not to look.
mcostello
Swindler

Re: Is someone going to take down this miniposter jerk?

Post by mcostello »

add "-mini" to your search string and it will leave those auctions out of your search
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Post by superfly snuka »

mcostello wrote:add "-mini" to your search string and it will leave those auctions out of your search

that rules
thentherewasone
Giant

Post by thentherewasone »

superfly snuka wrote:
mcostello wrote:add "-mini" to your search string and it will leave those auctions out of your search

that rules

and -obama ...
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

thanks
Who's got my old stickers?
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

I wonder if there is anyway we could apply this rule to the items for sale on Ebay that appear on the google ads we have on this site.
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

circa77 wrote:he/she is cutting photos out of Shepards book and selling them. I dont think there is anything that can be done about that.

I'm pretty sure that's a copyright violation because they are redistributing copyrighted material for profit without include the copyright notice:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

I'm not sure how that works because if such were the case then you could never sale anything second-hand. Dvds, books, music, art is all copyrighted material and commonly sold on ebay.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
jwoods103
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by jwoods103 »

cybernigel wrote:
circa77 wrote:he/she is cutting photos out of Shepards book and selling them. I dont think there is anything that can be done about that.

I'm pretty sure that's a copyright violation because they are redistributing copyrighted material for profit without include the copyright notice:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html

then wouldn't selling prints on ebay be illegal to?
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
extremeimages77
Giant

Re:

Post by extremeimages77 »

circa77 wrote:I'm not sure how that works because if such were the case then you could never sale anything second-hand. Dvds, books, music, art is all copyrighted material and commonly sold on ebay.

but those seldom sell for prophit
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
notudon
Giant

Post by notudon »

Actually it is -"mini" but thanks for the heads up. Once i figured out to just quote "mini" after the minus sign, it worked perfect.
Check out my print collection. http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=12750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oboulderama
Swindler

Post by oboulderama »

notudon wrote:

Actually it is -"mini" but thanks for the heads up. Once i figured out to just quote "mini" after the minus sign, it worked perfect.

I do believe the quotes were for your benefit as a reader, not for you to transcribe into eBay. Quotes are useful in the search box just for tying words together as a phrase, so they'd make no difference the way you're using them, around a single word.
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

circa77 wrote:I'm not sure how that works because if such were the case then you could never sale anything second-hand. Dvds, books, music, art is all copyrighted material and commonly sold on ebay.

That's protected by what is known as the First Sale Doctrine:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070815-major-copyright-case-to-test-first-sale-doctrine-possibly-shrinkwrap-eulas.html

But when you start cutting up intellectual property (i.e. "multiplying") and exposing it for sale without including the original copyright statements intact or licensing information from the owner you are in violation of the copyright.

Section 4965 of the Revised United States Statutes reads:
'If any person, after the recording of the title of any map, chart, musical composition, print, cut, engraving, or photograph, or chromo, or of the description of any painting, drawing, statue, statuary, or model or design intended to be perfected and executed as a work of the fine arts, as provided by this chapter, shall, within the term limited, and without the consent of the proprietor of the copyright first obtained in writing, signed in presence of two or more witnesses, engrave, etch, work, copy, print, publish, or import, either in whole or in part, or by varying the main design with intent to evade the law, or, knowing the same to be so printed, published, or imported, shall sell or expose to sale any copy of such map or other article, as aforesaid, he shall forfeit to the proprietor all the plates on which the same shall be copied, and every sheet thereof, either copied or printed, and shall further forfeit [210 U.S. 339, 349] one dollar for every sheet of the same found in his possession, either printing, printed, copied, published, imported, or exposed for sale; and in case of a painting, statute, or statuary, he shall forfeit ten dollars for every copy of the same in his possession, or by him sold or exposed for sale, one half thereof to the proprietor and the other half to the use of the United States.' U. S. Comp. Stat. 1901, p. 3414."

I believe what he is doing is in clear violation of 3 of the 4 factors of the Fair Use doctrine;

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
cheap cologne
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

Those people have been doing that for a long time now.. The way I see it is:

Its not a new thing, I am sure they are aware of it. If Shep or anyone involved with OG has not done anything about it by now... it's obviously not that big of a deal to them so why should I get mad about it.

He probably turns a $60.00 book into $750 by doing it.

Maybe I should cut my book up... :wink:
ideabolo
Giant

Post by ideabolo »

superfly snuka wrote:

that rules

thanx :!:
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
Dorse
Swindler

Post by Dorse »

I don't know how you could put a craft knife to a book haha
DZEL
Giant

Post by DZEL »

i find these equally annoying as well.

someone is doing this with audrey kawasaki stuff too.

wtf?
Dorse
Swindler

Post by Dorse »

he's started framing them now -_-
cheap cologne
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

-mini -sticker -button -obama
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

cheap cologne wrote:

-shirt for me as well
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cheap cologne wrote:

i've been doing that forever.... but my searches look like this:

-mini -sticker -stickers -obama -paster -brainwash