Another one bites the dust... "alife" folded in half by UPS!

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
TinManOne
Giant

Re:

Post by TinManOne »

byrnexxx wrote:I was kidding, somewhat. I have pressed out a crease before using an iron and a teeshirt. it worked pretty well.

DITTO THAT.!!
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
nixon451
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by nixon451 »

TinManOne wrote:
byrnexxx wrote:I was kidding, somewhat. I have pressed out a crease before using an iron and a teeshirt. it worked pretty well.[/quote

DITTO THAT.!!

I would practice with a few Big Proofs before I even thought about it. To be honest, I would find a serious framer or restorer with a big seaward licking excuse me butter bread cow balls buttocks undescended testicle press, if it was me.
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

nixon451 wrote:
TinManOne wrote:
byrnexxx wrote:I was kidding, somewhat. I have pressed out a crease before using an iron and a teeshirt. it worked pretty well.[/quote

DITTO THAT.!!

I would practice with a few Big Proofs before I even thought about it. To be honest, I would find a serious framer or restorer with a big seaward licking excuse me butter bread cow balls buttocks undescended testicle press, if it was me.

wow, you really confused me there!

sucks about the print! i dunno what i would do if i were you!
IG - ATXjeweler
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

TinManOne wrote:
byrnexxx wrote:I was kidding, somewhat. I have pressed out a crease before using an iron and a teeshirt. it worked pretty well.

DITTO THAT.!!

ive "ironed" an offset litho with great results. i'm not too sure what the side effects would be on a silkscreen, but i'll look into it. if i get reimbursed by f*ck-UPS (it was fully insured) then i may give it a shot! thanks guys. i'll keep you posted.
"I don't know how to play chess, but life is a chess game for me." - MBW (haha!)
"When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down"
my design portfolio
online reef tank profiles and marine aquarium blogs
80's BMX bikes
TinManOne
Giant

Post by TinManOne »

Well... I have tried this before when Bayonettes came out.
I got two in and both were wrinkled pretty bad.
I ironed one out with a damp tshirt and most of the wrinkles came out.
The red was alittle darker for about a day then it returned to its original shade.

i dont think I would ever try this a piece as striking as Alife though
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
MunkeyPants
Giant

Re: Another one bites the dust... "alife" folded in half by UPS!

Post by MunkeyPants »

DZEL wrote:that sux bro.

for the life of me...i can't understand why ANYONE still uses UPS.

i can't help but thinking that the more a person writes "fragile-do not bend" on it...that they just fold/crush stuff purposely.

That's true. I've talked to people who've worked in shipping. Fragile = football/soccer ball/baseball bat.
Submit. Rapture.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

MunkeyPants wrote:

i can't help but thinking that the more a person writes "fragile-do not bend" on it...that they just fold/crush stuff purposely.

That's true. I've talked to people who've worked in shipping. Fragile = football/soccer ball/baseball bat.

It's like you're daring them to bend it...
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

I filed a claim with UPS. They wanted me to ship it back (and they'd keep the print in their posession), but I convinced them to do an on-site inspection of the pacakge instead. Any ideas on how to convince them that it's value is decreased considerably so that I can keep it AND get a refund? ;)
"I don't know how to play chess, but life is a chess game for me." - MBW (haha!)
"When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down"
my design portfolio
80's BMX bikes
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

I've had to make a handful of claims with UPS, and they never ask for the damaged prints.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help.
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

so did they come inspect the item at your home or did you mail them the empty damaged tube?

the lady on the phone told me that they'd have to take posession of the damaged item...
my design portfolio
80's BMX bikes
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

There is a UPS store nearby, and I always have them handle it. The stores are individually owned (well, they're franchises at least), and often if you can talk to the owner, they'll try to get it resolved to your satisfaction, and they do most of the work for you. Plus, it seems as though they have more pull.

The first time it happened, I went to the store and told them what happened. When they asked me to bring the print in, I asked "hey, traffic is so bad and I live 20 minutes away--can I email you some good pictures?" They agreed, and apparently forwarded the pics on to the insurer. Anyways, at this point they've handled three claims for me, and each time its the same deal. Only now I just call instead of driving in to get the ball rolling.

Nobody's ever asked for the prints back.
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

good deal. there's a UPS store near my house as well. i'll try them tonight.

thanks for the advice!
my design portfolio
80's BMX bikes
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

No doubt. I'd love it if you could keep the print, and get reimbursed while you're at it. I've got a pretty roughed up Proud Parents and Ripped that still live in the portfolio as a reminder of why I'll never, EVER use UPS.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

I don't know why anyone would ship flat using foam core. That is just asking for trouble to come in when it comes knocking. I've only shipped flat a couple times. One piece was 4'x7'. And on material that you would not want to roll. I would go down to the book shop and grab some cardboard boxes. Do, 2 or 3 thick layers. Each layer taped up with 1 roll of tape. The box was so sturdy, you could have served Thanksgiving Day dinner on it. UPS came to pick it up.
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

I think it's more like this...

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

tell them it's a limited edition and they can't have it. Or tell them they can have it after they successfully deliver you a mint copy you obtain with their reimbursement.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

Nice chop!
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

The UPS store wouldn't file a claim for me unless the item was shipped out through that location. I have to wait for an in-house inspection. Not fun!
my design portfolio
80's BMX bikes
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

ups damaged one of my banksy prints (which i had insured).. but they made me give them the damaged print. is that normal? (also took 3 months for them to give me my money)
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

rhinomilk wrote:ups damaged one of my banksy prints (which i had insured).. but they made me give them the damaged print. is that normal? (also took 3 months for them to give me my money)

It's normal about 20% of the time (most of the time they don't bother, but they're within their rights).
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
guyute73
Posse

Post by guyute73 »

I'm not a fan of UPS, when my new GPS was delivered the other day I ran out to meet the driver since the kids were sleeping and my driver likes to ring the door bell, and he threw it to me from like 10 feet away. WTF??? I wonder if I had dropped it and it broke if he would have blamed me?
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Re:

Post by Tad Ghostal »

bboygraphix wrote:The UPS store wouldn't file a claim for me unless the item was shipped out through that location. I have to wait for an in-house inspection. Not fun!

Does that mean you might be able to keep the damaged print?
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

can you not gut mangle another print in the same fashion and put it in the packaging?

Is the UPS inspector gonna know what an Alife print looks like? ;)
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
skoola
Giant

Re:

Post by skoola »

stickee wrote:can you not gut mangle another print in the same fashion and put it in the packaging?

Is the UPS inspector gonna know what an Alife print looks like? ;)

now that's what i'm talking about!
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

admonkey wrote:
rhinomilk wrote:ups damaged one of my banksy prints (which i had insured).. but they made me give them the damaged print. is that normal? (also took 3 months for them to give me my money)

It's normal about 20% of the time (most of the time they don't bother, but they're within their rights).

when i've filed a damage claim with UPS, they've picked up the print probably 1 in 5 times... so i concur with AM
on point like a decimalist?