OBEY THE EBAY POLICY (Flippers)

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
nadajohn
Punk

Post by nadajohn »

Backpackpunk wrote:A. What is the incentive for Shepard Fairey / Obey Giant to improve their servers? He has a large loyal following of fans who, in my opinion, he treats very well. He is one of the very few artists who knows he can receive much more for his work then he does, but yet he keeps the price lower for his many fans who can't afford to pay the price that Faile, banksy, dface, Nick Walker, or many other artists have started to charge. If you are paying $200.00-$300.00 a print I sure the server would work great, but we are not we are paying $50.00 (now at least) for a print that is worth at least double most times what it could easily sell for. Shepard Fairey has left his price low for us, the one thing we can at least do is not complain about it.

The incentive to improve the servers is to treat his customers well. Even before a price hike he should have done it. Simple as that. If he really 'cared' he would have done it sooner. And I have a feeling he's making enough money to do it quite easily. And is he really treating his fans 'well' by pricing his prints at $45 a pop? Imo, there's no way he could sustain his output and charge $200-$300 a print with 450 in an edition. I like Fairey, but at that price, there's no way I'm coming back week after week. My feeling is that it's the low prices that keep em coming back. Sorry if that sounds harsh. I like Fairey, but no way I would even consider buying the SXSW poster at $200-$300 (and I have that one hung up!). And the Dexter print, only 13 of those sold so far. And the OG Retro series have been up forever. I'm just sayin'.
rastapunk
Giant

Re:

Post by rastapunk »

saintjordan wrote:I think bottom line is, the folks at obeygiant.com do not give a rat's @ss. They keep announcing the drop time and date and they know that it is going to frankfurter up their servers. If they cared they would always do a random drop. It is obvious.

I think you've taken a very oversimplified view of the problem. After speaking to someone at Studio No. 1 I can assure you they care and are actively working on the problem.

The narrow minded comments and conspiracy theories that simply add up to sour grapes are certainly not helpful or necessary.

So why don't we cool it on the nastiness directed towards the folks at OG and enjoy some of the more worthwhile threads.
Yantra and mantra create tantra.
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

^bravo!

i agree, peeps need to stop making the server issue personal
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Bobak »

Hahaha, flippers got pwn3d.

I know it seems like a losing battle, but I hope OG keeps it up.

Now if only they could fix the server issue that works against people who don't want to profit on the prints --its rather embarrassing.
password
Giant

Post by password »

This dude (or chick) is pretty bold...flipping 2 of each print at a time!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/cc.4l_W0Q ... omZQQ_mdoZ
robotoil
Giant

A note from Obey customer service

Post by robotoil »

obeysales wrote:Postby obeysales on August 15th, 2008, 3:31 pm
We understand that the website has caused some frustration and we apologize. We think it's important that we remind you of our sales policies.

1. Do not call us in reference to print release times, website failures etc. If you need to communicate with us please do so by email.

2. We want to remind you of our Terms and Conditions:

We reserve the right, at any time after receipt of your order, to accept or decline your order for any reason. We reserve the right, at any time after receipt of your order, without prior notice to you, to supply less than the quantity you ordered of any item. We may need to verify any information you provide before we accept an order. Item availability and prices of all products sold at the obeygiant.com site are subject to change without notice. We reserve the right to limit quantities on certain items.

3. We also want to remind you of our Ebay policy:

EBAY'ers and EBAY Flippers are not welcomed. If suspected and caught of Ebaying prints your order will be automatically refunded and you will no longer be permitted to purchase from OBEY GIANT.

Shepard and the rest of us at OBEY are overwhelmed by the stories we hear about how much people are paying for prints on EBAY the same day as they are released on our site. We are, like most people, are disheartened and disgusted with the situation. We are taking responsibility for the Ebay situation and have taken action against those who simply purchase prints to instantly auction on Ebay for the highest price. There is a difference between a print collector who purchases a print, archives it for months, years even, then decides to barter or sell a piece with the invention of getting more cherished artwork THAN a "collector" who purchases a print then has it posted on Ebay before the print is actually received in hand or the moment they receive it the mail. We do believe such action is wrong and unjust AND we stand by what we believe and are proud of our mission to keep OBEY accessible to all.

thank you!
Obey Orders Dept.

Do your best to stop the flippers. As good intentioned you are you will fail. OBEY GIANT attempt to regulate prices and resale goes against all economic theory.

Your observation between a collector and a "collector" who both sell a print without hanging it leave something to be desired, but you are entitled to your opinions as am I.

Is the server going to be fixed anytime "soon"? You must know how much valuable time you are squandering from people who spend hours and hours to get your accessible items.

I personally have given up trying to buy prints on your release date. The frustration is not worth the time. I would rather pay a "collector" for their time then waste mine.
Last edited by robotoil on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

Mod Note: Robotoil's thread merged into existing conversation on the topic.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help.
analogtrash
Giant

Re: OBEY THE EBAY POLICY (Flippers)

Post by analogtrash »

Well said Robotoil. I think that too many people are frustrated with Obey Giant for site issues/drop times and Flippers for flippin' as well, when the real frustration should be focused on the market for Shepard's work. Sure, I'm not enthused to see flippers throw a print on ebay 30 seconds after confirmation from OG for a 30x return. However, if I really dig a piece then it is up to me to assess the market and determine what I'll pay for it, and I appreciate having more than one chance to get the piece, especially since I got into the game relatively late. Plus the market usually settles itself....For tyrant boot it's obvious that no one was willing to pay the initial ebay prices $300-$400, but at about $150, it's not such a bad pickup if you missed the drop.
flyersfan13
Swindler

Re:

Post by flyersfan13 »

password wrote:This dude (or chick) is pretty bold...flipping 2 of each print at a time!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/cc.4l_W0Q ... omZQQ_mdoZ

Now there's 3. I picked one up from EB for 125 shipped. I like the Frederick Douglas reference and read a lot about African American history. Not sure if I'll frame it anytime soon, but I know I'll like looking at it in my portfolio.

I kept getting some smeared msg on the confirm click, even before the sight slowed down. If I knew I could pay 125 for each on the aftermarket, I wouldn't even bother with the Obay sales. Even though I couldn't get thru with my order, their site loaded after 20-30 seconds every time which is worlds better than what I have had before. It's much better than spending a day or weekend trying. I hope they keep updating/improving their system and don't think this is a long term solution. With Shep's increasing popularity, he will need to improve it again some time in the future anyway.
password
Giant

Post by password »

OG should hire this gal to police eBay and assist others in their relationships: http://specullector.com/

2. I really don’t have ptsd from selling the Rose Girl print and was happy to help out people that could not make it in to the gallery from Australia, the Philippines, California… to acquire one. What I wasn’t happy about was the presumptuous flippers that POSTED THE PRINT ON EBAY BEFORE I EVEN SENT IT TO THEM.

Listen, I’ve been doing this for 10 years and I’m not some bimbo (and once you read the next line, also obviously crazy). I went under an assumed Ebay name “Rosa Grrl” (creative right?) and found out what edition numbers were being sold, checked my records, and pulled them before they were shipped.

So if you didn’t get your print yet, this is why, I have already sold it to someone else and please don’t waste any more of my time by contacting me. AND to the young man in NJ whose “girlfriend” flipped the print (right after she bought it) I hope you broke up with her like I asked you to.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

password wrote:OG should hire this gal to police eBay and assist others in their relationships: http://specullector.com/

2. I really don’t have ptsd from selling the Rose Girl print and was happy to help out people that could not make it in to the gallery from Australia, the Philippines, California… to acquire one. What I wasn’t happy about was the presumptuous flippers that POSTED THE PRINT ON EBAY BEFORE I EVEN SENT IT TO THEM.

Listen, I’ve been doing this for 10 years and I’m not some bimbo (and once you read the next line, also obviously crazy). I went under an assumed Ebay name “Rosa Grrl” (creative right?) and found out what edition numbers were being sold, checked my records, and pulled them before they were shipped.

So if you didn’t get your print yet, this is why, I have already sold it to someone else and please don’t waste any more of my time by contacting me. AND to the young man in NJ whose “girlfriend” flipped the print (right after she bought it) I hope you broke up with her like I asked you to.

"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

password wrote:OG should hire this gal to police eBay and assist others in their relationships: http://specullector.com/

You just can't make stuff like this up. :lol:
Mad Daego
Posse

Post by Mad Daego »

Though it would take a ton of time I they could always create a legit "platinum status" list by offering regular customers, maybe people who have scored 5 or more drops, an opportunity to email a photo of themselves with their collection for the opportunity at maybe a 15-20 minute presale? It sounds sort of ridiculous and time consuming but if you really care it's a start. It proves the customers keep editions and care. Even though some folks trade prints right away they've still got substantial collections to prove their status. Just an idea.
pharoah7
Swindler

Re:

Post by pharoah7 »

Mad Daego wrote:Though it would take a ton of time I they could always create a legit "platinum status" list by offering regular customers, maybe people who have scored 5 or more drops, an opportunity to email a photo of themselves with their collection for the opportunity at maybe a 15-20 minute presale? It sounds sort of ridiculous and time consuming but if you really care it's a start. It proves the customers keep editions and care. Even though some folks trade prints right away they've still got substantial collections to prove their status. Just an idea.

I like that idea although I think expanding it would help, it still isn't 100% "flipper" proof if you will...they could lie that they are a collector and be using a different e-mail and shipping address to sell the art....
Mad Daego
Posse

Post by Mad Daego »

True. But if they don't have any of their last five purchases around just a few months out it's evidence enough. Personally I've held onto 4 of the last 5 I scored. The other sold to fund a different print purchase, older Obey prints. See what I mean?
blazedoutbee
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by blazedoutbee »

Mad Daego wrote:True. But if they don't have any of their last five purchases around just a few months out it's evidence enough. Personally I've held onto 4 of the last 5 I scored. The other sold to fund a different print purchase, older Obey prints. See what I mean?

so you would have to take a current day's newspaper and take a picture of the print with the paper next to it? Then send it to Obey? :?:
Mad Daego
Posse

Post by Mad Daego »

If that were the req it's not totally unreasonable. And if the 'prize' were a legit presale status they could randomly employ such a method. Send an email to everyone who won, at this point, Vivi for instance, and offer the presale info and code to everyone responding with such a pic within 3 days. But again, a lot of work is involved. Probably an entire day for one employee. If I were to receive such an email I'd snap a photo and send it in ASAP, proving I still own the print and am not flipping.