The movie that launched a (giant) career

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
ever wonder where shepard came up with OBEY? or THIS IS YOUR GOD ? well a lot of you are too young to remember but he ummm...co-opted the concept from a movie called They Live that came out in the mid-80's. see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Px3nBTL ... re=related
D.E. Bunker
Punk
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Aug 19, 2008

User avatar
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage
 
Posts: 5960
Joined: Apr 3, 2007
Location: PHX

those two pieces are HOTTTT!
http://www.johnstonamerica.com
Rob Johnston Artist - Johnston America Folk Art Gallery
User avatar
johnstonamerica
Artist or Something
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: May 6, 2006
Location: way up in the hills

As I recall, Kevin Smith owns one. Don't know if that is a rumor or true or what.
User avatar
password
Giant
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Location: LA & OC, CA

password wrote:As I recall, Kevin Smith owns one. Don't know if that is a rumor or true or what.


He bought one at Gallery 1988.

Imag
Yantra and mantra create tantra.
User avatar
rastapunk
Giant
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
Location: A glass case of emotion.

password wrote:As I recall, Kevin Smith owns one. Don't know if that is a rumor or true or what.


viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6091
User avatar
Cookie Head
Giant
 
Posts: 1837
Joined: Nov 15, 2006
Location: LALALALALA

D.E. Bunker wrote:ever wonder where shepard came up with OBEY? or THIS IS YOUR GOD ? well a lot of you are too young to remember but he ummm...co-opted the concept from a movie called They Live that came out in the mid-80's. see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Px3nBTL ... re=related



THANK YOU!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
on point like a decimalist?
User avatar
whyhoo
itsame
 
Posts: 7556
Joined: May 20, 2007
Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat

D.E. Bunker wrote:ever wonder where shepard came up with OBEY? or THIS IS YOUR GOD ? well a lot of you are too young to remember but he ummm...co-opted the concept from a movie called They Live that came out in the mid-80's. see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Px3nBTL ... re=related


Wow never knew that. :roll:

Thanks for keeping us informed on new information! :lol:
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://deviantgesturecatalog.tumblr.com/
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
destroyeric
Giant
 
Posts: 2850
Joined: Mar 20, 2007
Location: At my desk.

destroyeric wrote:
D.E. Bunker wrote:ever wonder where shepard came up with OBEY? or THIS IS YOUR GOD ? well a lot of you are too young to remember but he ummm...co-opted the concept from a movie called They Live that came out in the mid-80's. see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Px3nBTL ... re=related


Wow never knew that. :roll:

Thanks for keeping us informed on new information! :lol:


really? huh, i figured fans knew about the history behind obey.... there used to be a video podcast on itunes called ICONS that had a couple episodes about Obey/Shepard Fairey but i can't find them anymore. here they are on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNv-9IOBZZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zi3oXNlNZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIsuQOObVbM
User avatar
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness
 
Posts: 10667
Joined: Jan 12, 2007

fribhey wrote:
destroyeric wrote:
D.E. Bunker wrote:ever wonder where shepard came up with OBEY? or THIS IS YOUR GOD ? well a lot of you are too young to remember but he ummm...co-opted the concept from a movie called They Live that came out in the mid-80's. see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Px3nBTL ... re=related


Wow never knew that. :roll:

Thanks for keeping us informed on new information! :lol:


really? huh, i figured fans knew about the history behind obey.... there used to be a video podcast on itunes called ICONS that had a couple episodes about Obey/Shepard Fairey but i can't find them anymore. here they are on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNv-9IOBZZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zi3oXNlNZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIsuQOObVbM


I was being facetious. :?
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://deviantgesturecatalog.tumblr.com/
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
destroyeric
Giant
 
Posts: 2850
Joined: Mar 20, 2007
Location: At my desk.


Return to Giant vs Giant

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest