What do you think about Shepard signing known fake prints

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
djsp
Giant

What do you think about Shepard signing known fake prints

Post by djsp »

Ok, when I read about this the other day, I was going to write something, but just let it pass. But this has been on my mind, so I though I would see what others thought about it.
In another thread, a member posted that Shepard acknowledged that a few pasters that he had brought to be signed were in fact fake, and then proceeded to sign them anyway. Great for the member, but what does that say about the overall ability to validate the authenticity of Fairey pieces in the long run? I think it is great that Shepard is willing to sign unsigned stuff. I have a few myself that he did. However, my thought was always that by Shepard signed them, it meant that Shepard was taking ownership of the item. By signing things that he claims are fake, it seems more like he is autographing, much like a celeb would a headshot.
Anyway, just thought I would see what others think about this. And I thought it might be fun to have a topic that is not an anticipation thread. :D

Edit:
New and improved title. The other one looked too tabloid style for my taste.
Last edited by djsp on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

i think that it is, especially in the long-run, a terrible idea. some unscrupulous person could pass the print off as authentic, and how would some people know better? considering how quickly people are becoming new fans of OG, it is pretty reasonable to assume that they could be taken advantage of, especially if they aren't aware of places like this forum or EB that they could visit to expand their knowledge of OG prints.

it is unfortunate when people are sold bootleg prints/posters on ebay, and it is cool of shepard to, in a sense, take pity on them. but i don't think that signing an unauthorized OG item is the best idea for someone who might want to maintain some integrity in his work.

maybe he should start signing them in sharpie, with the words "this is not a" in front of his name and the word "poster" after.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
djsp
Giant

Re:

Post by djsp »

illyanadmc wrote:maybe he should start signing them in sharpie, with the words "this is not a" in front of his name and the word "poster" after.

Ha. Brilliant. :D
MunkeyPants
Giant

Re: What do you think about Shepard signing know fake prints

Post by MunkeyPants »

He should be boiled in oil...

I can't imagine as an artist signing work that I didn't authorize. I'd have to take possession and destroy such works.
Submit. Rapture.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Well, if he'll sign anything....

"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
cybernigel
Giant

Re: What do you think about Shepard signing know fake prints

Post by cybernigel »

The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

My suggestion the other day was to write in sharpie on the back of the print "repro" or "fake"
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain