even more ebay changes

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Re: even more ebay changes

Post by jshea »

cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:
jshea wrote:
henna wrote:This may have to do with the bill that passed recently, I don't remember the title of it but the one that addressed the mortgage issues. There was language added to it requiring that electronic 3rd party payment services are required to begin reporting transaction info to the IRS. I thought it was to begin in 2010, but perhaps I misread the dates. At least now I don't feel like such a dope for reporting ebay income for the last 3 years.

I can't remember ... do you report any/all income, or is there a threshold? Something like $1,000+?

I don't know the rules. I just claim any $ that comes in as gross, minus cost of (the item + ebay / paypal / shipping fees), this way it's taxed as odinary income. I don't know if appreciation of art would quailfy as capital gains under the tax code and therefore be taxable at 15%. But when I consider what the difference boils down to in actual dollars I just figure it's not worth the hassle of talking to a tax accountant about. If you do sell a good amount, you may want to talk to a professional.

And you just list, "Flipper" as your occupation? :)

Henna "flipped" me a Soup Can. Good dude, don't hate! :lol:
henna
-

Post by henna »

cybernigel wrote:
henna wrote:
jshea wrote:
henna wrote:This may have to do with the bill that passed recently, I don't remember the title of it but the one that addressed the mortgage issues. There was language added to it requiring that electronic 3rd party payment services are required to begin reporting transaction info to the IRS. I thought it was to begin in 2010, but perhaps I misread the dates. At least now I don't feel like such a dope for reporting ebay income for the last 3 years.

I can't remember ... do you report any/all income, or is there a threshold? Something like $1,000+?

I don't know the rules. I just claim any $ that comes in as gross, minus cost of (the item + ebay / paypal / shipping fees), this way it's taxed as odinary income. I don't know if appreciation of art would quailfy as capital gains under the tax code and therefore be taxable at 15%. But when I consider what the difference boils down to in actual dollars I just figure it's not worth the hassle of talking to a tax accountant about. If you do sell a good amount, you may want to talk to a professional.

And you just list, "Flipper" as your occupation? :)

Yes, but my accountant pointed out that I still net a gain when I claim the "keep it in your potfolio for 3 months" deduction.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Under 20k and under 200 transactions.
That's all I needed to read.

I'm clear and free.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

PDC wrote:

Under 20k and under 200 transactions.
That's all I needed to read.

I'm clear and free.

Ditto that. That's some serious flipping.
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

so if I sold a warhol for 5 mil, they wouldn't report me if I only had under 199 transactions for the year. sweet!
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

so is this why they are forcing the use of PayPal now on eBay? Seems like the IRS may have made concessions in terms of increasing the minimum amount of transactions from $600 to $20,000, but only if eBay forces all of their customers to use PayPal to ensure maximum compliance.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

And the eye of Big Brother grows ever larger.
Submit. Rapture.
Stone Age
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Stone Age »

speedoguy wrote:so if I sold a warhol for 5 mil, they wouldn't report me if I only had under 199 transactions for the year. sweet!

Just because they don't report you doesn't mean Uncle Sam won't get his.
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

When did paypal start holding your money after being paid through ebay?
I just sold something on ebay and they are holding my money for 21 days or until I receive a positive feedback regarding that auction.
I don't ever remember them doing this before.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

pennylesspig wrote:When did paypal start holding your money after being paid through ebay?
I just sold something on ebay and they are holding my money for 21 days or until I receive a positive feedback regarding that auction.

wow... what?! i am starting to dislike ebay more and more every day.
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Cookie Head
Giant

Re:

Post by Cookie Head »

pennylesspig wrote:When did paypal start holding your money after being paid through ebay?

That's crazy! Did they send out a notice of this?
guyute73
Posse

Post by guyute73 »

So you can't get access to the money because the buyer didn't leave feedback? That's BS, some people NEVER leave feedback.
JimmyC
Swindler

Post by JimmyC »

guyute73
Posse

Post by guyute73 »

Ahhhh, so if you are in good standing, your fine, no holds on the funds. Thanks, I forgot about that detail.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

guyute73 wrote:Ahhhh, so if you are in good standing, your fine, no holds on the funds. Thanks, I forgot about that detail.

ahhh... but what about this?

sellers who list in certain categories with higher rates of buyer complaints.

what categories are these? it doesn't state in the linked guide on ebay, and i admit that i haven't done any research to find out if ebay has or has not outlined what these are. however, it seems like it could be very ambiguous and be used to ebay's advantage.
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

Less than 100 feedback? Good way to tinkle off your newest customers.
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

I have close to 20 feedback, all positive. They should really change that policy.
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

Not very clear. 100 feedback, or 100% feedback? 100 feedback as a seller, or as both buyer/seller? Too vague across the board, and a sure thing to drive good sellers away.
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by pennylesspig »

JimmyC wrote:http://reviews.ebay.com/PayPal-2008-Changes-The-21-day-hold-on-your-money_W0QQugidZ10000000005528443

I just read that article and it sounds like ebay is leaving almost no protection for sellers. And while ebay holds the funds, they're gaining interest out of MY money.

~It is quite possible that a buyer could end up with the item, and the funds, leaving no recourse open for the seller.
As every seller knows very well, PayPal strongly advises against shipping an item until funds have clear from an e-check payment. Yet PayPal would be forcing the seller to ship an item even though the funds are held in a way as to be completely beyond the seller's control. And so it is that we have yet another incident in which a seller has no voice, no control and no protection.

So if a douch^ebag buyer wants to file a chargeback or a dispute, the seller gets nothing?
Especially with sellers not being able to leave negative feedback anymore, sellers have no control anymore.
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

so i just had my first sale with this new rule

I have a feedback of 17, all positive

paypal placed a hold on the funds, and there was a section that said the funds would be released if I entered in a tracking number

I have shipped the item, and entered a tracking number, and paypal still has not released the funds, sure it has only been 2 days, but its still pretty weak

my paypal page now says i need to wait for feedback, or 21 days before i receive the money
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

resurrecting this old thread, because i just listed some items on ebay for the first time this year, and i noticed something to add to my ever-growing list of reasons that i hate using ebay. after filling out the first page of the selling form, i got a warning that stated that ebay no longer allows sellers to offer optional insurance. apparently, ebay uses some description-scanning bot that picked up on keywords in my description (i've always offered optional insurance, and required insurance for items over $200-or-so.

i didn't copy the warning message, but i'm pretty sure it also said that sellers can no longer require buyers to pay for insurance, using those words. you can tack on a handling charge and state that insurance costs are being covered by the handling charge, but there is no area of the selling form for specific insurance charges.

not only do i think it's stupid that ebay won't allow optional insurance, but it's also really dumb to allow required insurance under the guise of handling charges, but not to allow it to be listed as specifically "insurance" as part of the shipping cost. i don't know what their reasoning is for the latter, but they supposedly don't want to allow optional insurance anymore because they want the total shipping cost to be up-front and clear (which i think is just another step toward discouraging buyers from ever reading auction descriptions).
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

I wonder why sellers offer optional insurance. To me, insurance seems to cover the seller's hiney in case of "lost" or damaged deliveries. With insurance, you can reimburse the buyer. And since ebay is so geared towards buyer satisfaction, it seems they can say anything they want to screw the seller and get away with it. When I've sold on ebay, it has provided me a peace of mind so I just figure it into the shipping cost and say in the description that insurance is included in the shipping price.
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

F*CK Ebay, they are "blood sucking vultures like chris blackwell"*

* lee perry quote :)
'the best things in life, are not things!
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

Gigantico wrote:I wonder why sellers offer optional insurance.
on really cheap items ($10 or less), i think it's silly to require insurance, but i always allowed the buyer to choose that option. you're correct, it really does cover the seller's butt, in the end, but i've always just put my trust in the PO to not lose or damage that $10 item (and they never have).

i guess i have a hard time removing myself from the ebay of the past, when sellers actually got a little respect.