even more ebay changes

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

even more ebay changes

Post by illyanadmc »

i am sure some of you got a wonderful email from ebay last night...

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/Overview/

this in particular caught my eye:

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/Payments/

Beginning late October 2008, all items listed on eBay.com must be paid for using one of the following approved payment options:

* Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account
* PayPal
* ProPay
* Payment on pick-up

Paper payment methods such as checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay.com.

i am sure many of you remember the days before paypal, when everything on ebay was purchased with some sort of paper currency. i used to make multiple trips to the post office each week, just to buy money orders for all of the junk i was buying off of ebay. not that i use those any more, but i do still accept them for almost every auction, and i think it is sad that they are taking away that option. i know some people who do not have any type of credit or debit card, and these people would not be open to setting up a paypal account (mostly because they are not techno-savvy, but also because they are still unsure of sending money electronically). so, ebay is thus alienating these people from buying on ebay.

of course, i am sure that ebay has done extensive research and has concluded that this group of people are very unlikely to use ebay... but still!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
rastapunk
Giant

Post by rastapunk »

My brother in law is a secret service agent and he tells me that one of the biggest forms of fraud going right now is using fake money order and cashier's check. Your bank will let you deposit them and will make funds available, but will not know that the checks are fraudulent for 1 - 2 weeks. By that time money is spent, items are delivered and you're left accountable to the bank.
Yantra and mantra create tantra.
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

I hate paying all the damnn fees to Ebay and Paypal. I too like dealing with money orders, it cuts any extra fees paid to Ebay/PP. I've always wondered why there isn't a competitor to Ebay or Paypal, they pretty much have a monopoly on the on-line auction deal.
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

rastapunk wrote:My brother in law is a secret service agent and he tells me that one of the biggest forms of fraud going right now is using fake money order and cashier's check. Your bank will let you deposit them and will make funds available, but will not know that the checks are fraudulent for 1 - 2 weeks. By that time money is spent, items are delivered and you're left accountable to the bank.

yah, i mean that has been around for a really long time. the guy who wrote "catch me if you can" (which is based on his life) also wrote a book called "the art of the steal," and it goes over all sorts of fraud (that existed when it was written maybe 7 or 8 years ago), including fake money orders. when i read it, i got all kinds of paranoid about fraud, but then i mellowed out and realized that, no matter how cautious people are, they can still get taken. people make fraudulent payments through paypal all the time. i just tried to sell an obama hope offset on ebay and the winner sent me payment immediately through paypal... i was happy until i realized that his address was not confirmed (which was a condition in my auction) and that it didn't match his address with ebay (not even in the same state). so, i eventually refunded him and filed an alert with ebay, because i had no luck contacting him for over a week. a lot of people might not even notice that and would send out the item and then get stuck if the buyer claims he/she did not receive it (no paypal protection to unconfirmed addresses).

anyway, after that ramble, what i am trying to say is that fraud can happen in many ways, not just through fake money orders/checks. i have never, ever had a problem with a fraudulent money order or check, and i have accepted many from ebay buyers. i have, however, had multiple problems with people trying to screw me over through paypal.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

destroyeric wrote:I hate paying all the damnn fees to Ebay and Paypal. I too like dealing with money orders, it cuts any extra fees paid to Ebay/PP. I've always wondered why there isn't a competitor to Ebay or Paypal, they pretty much have a monopoly on the on-line auction deal.

well, there used to be bidpay, which i think i used once because someone wouldn't take paypal or money orders... i don't know if they're still around.
easycraig
Giant

Re: even more ebay changes

Post by easycraig »

- I think I read that paypal bought out bidpay.... ( eliminate the competition because they were charging less then paypal ) ( ebay of course gobbled up paypal... ) big fish little fish...
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

...i rememba when you could pay in pelts at the trading post...
avoid disappointment and future regret
Cookie Head
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by Cookie Head »

illyanadmc wrote: a lot of people might not even notice that and would send out the item and then get stuck if the buyer claims he/she did not receive it (no paypal protection to unconfirmed addresses).

I think they changed the unconfirmed address policy awhile back. If you ship to the address on the Transaction Details page you are covered wether the address is confirmed or not.

"11.4 What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal seller protection?

You must meet all of these requirements to be covered:

Ship the item to the shipping address on the “Transaction Details” page.

You may access the “Transactions Details” page by logging into your PayPal Account, selecting "History" and then selecting "Details" for the transaction.

Follow the shipping requirements described below.

Respond to PayPal's requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner.

The transaction must be marked eligible or partially eligible for seller protection on the "Transaction Details" page.

If it is marked eligible, protection for both Unauthorized Payments and Item Not Received will apply. If it is marked partially eligible, protection for only Item Not Received will apply.

Items sold on eBay will be marked eligible even if the shipping address is marked unconfirmed. Generally, items sold on websites other than eBay will be marked eligible if the shipping address is marked confirmed and partially eligible if the shipping address is marked unconfirmed.

The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.

Your primary residence, as listed in your PayPal Account, must be in the United States."
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

Cookie Head wrote:
illyanadmc wrote: a lot of people might not even notice that and would send out the item and then get stuck if the buyer claims he/she did not receive it (no paypal protection to unconfirmed addresses).

I think they changed the unconfirmed address policy awhile back. If you ship to the address on the Transaction Details page you are covered wether the address is confirmed or not.

interesting... i guess it defeats the purpose of a confirmed address (at least for ebay transactions). plus, when i filed the non-paying bidder alert on ebay (which was weird to do, since he had technically paid me), one of the reasons that i could choose, which i did, was "The buyer wants shipment to an unconfirmed address." so, that kind of contradicts sellers being covered even if they ship to an unconfirmed address... ebay/paypal is giving mixed signals.
cheap cologne
Giant

Re:

Post by cheap cologne »

submit wrote:...i rememba when you could pay in pelts at the trading post...

Man.. I thought I was old.
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Re:

Post by Tad Ghostal »

destroyeric wrote:I hate paying all the damnn fees to Ebay and Paypal. I too like dealing with money orders, it cuts any extra fees paid to Ebay/PP. I've always wondered why there isn't a competitor to Ebay or Paypal, they pretty much have a monopoly on the on-line auction deal.

One of the guys from Yahoo joined up with some old school banking types and started http://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com which has zero transaction fees. None for the buyer, none for the seller. They get paid for things other than transactions, but it is easy enough to avoid fees entirely. I've used the above mentioned service to handle several thousands of dollars in transactions so far, and its been smooth sailing. Highly recommended.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

Tad Ghostal wrote:One of the guys from Yahoo joined up with some old school banking types and started http://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com which has zero transaction fees. None for the buyer, none for the seller. They get paid for things other than transactions, but it is easy enough to avoid fees entirely. I've used the above mentioned service to handle several thousands of dollars in transactions so far, and its been smooth sailing. Highly recommended.

sounds awesome! too bad ebay probably won't allow it to be used for transactions related to ebay auctions.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

illyanadmc wrote:
Tad Ghostal wrote:One of the guys from Yahoo joined up with some old school banking types and started http://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com which has zero transaction fees. None for the buyer, none for the seller. They get paid for things other than transactions, but it is easy enough to avoid fees entirely. I've used the above mentioned service to handle several thousands of dollars in transactions so far, and its been smooth sailing. Highly recommended.

sounds awesome! too bad ebay probably won't allow it to be used for transactions related to ebay auctions.

How could they stop you from using it? If the buyer and the seller both have accounts with http://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com what can ebay do about it?
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

Cookie Head wrote:How could they stop you from using it? If the buyer and the seller both have accounts with http://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com what can ebay do about it?

see the first post in this thread... if they can prevent users from sending money orders and other forms of paper money, surely they will be able to prevent users from using a non-ebay-authorized payment system. unless this falls under "Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account," which i believe it does not (i think that refers to making payment with a debit/credit card like you would in a brick and mortar store).
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

Tad Ghostal wrote:

One of the guys from Yahoo joined up with some old school banking types and started http://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com which has zero transaction fees. None for the buyer, none for the seller. They get paid for things other than transactions, but it is easy enough to avoid fees entirely. I've used the above mentioned service to handle several thousands of dollars in transactions so far, and its been smooth sailing. Highly recommended.

I used this service for a fairly large transaction with a member here. I really liked it, except they "hold your money" for a few days to collect interest before allowing you access. I guess they need to make money somehow!
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

money orders have no e-trail!
on point like a decimalist?
rastapunk
Giant

Re:

Post by rastapunk »

submit wrote:...i rememba when you could pay in pelts at the trading post...

...I still accept tales of adventure as a form of payment.
Yantra and mantra create tantra.
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Typhoon »

Any competitor is gunna charge you too. The way I see it, there is no way you could reach the buyers/sellers you reach without ebay. Their charges are well worth it. The protection you get is worth the fees alone.
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037
henna
-

Post by henna »

This may have to do with the bill that passed recently, I don't remember the title of it but the one that addressed the mortgage issues. There was language added to it requiring that electronic 3rd party payment services are required to begin reporting transaction info to the IRS. I thought it was to begin in 2010, but perhaps I misread the dates. At least now I don't feel like such a dope for reporting ebay income for the last 3 years.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

i sold an item on ebay , and the buyer is asking to use another adress from the one used in the transaction details , so if i get it well , if i ship to the new adress he asks , i wont be protected ?

i told him no that i cant ship to this adress... stupid why dont they update their adress before sending payment.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

hercylicious wrote:i sold an item on ebay , and the buyer is asking to use another adress from the one used in the transaction details , so if i get it well , if i ship to the new adress he asks , i wont be protected ?

i told him no that i cant ship to this adress... stupid why dont they update their adress before sending payment.

if you want to be 100% certain, you can refund their payment and ask them to re-pay with the new address listed.
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

Thanks will do that
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

henna wrote:This may have to do with the bill that passed recently, I don't remember the title of it but the one that addressed the mortgage issues. There was language added to it requiring that electronic 3rd party payment services are required to begin reporting transaction info to the IRS. I thought it was to begin in 2010, but perhaps I misread the dates. At least now I don't feel like such a dope for reporting ebay income for the last 3 years.

I can't remember ... do you report any/all income, or is there a threshold? Something like $1,000+?
henna
-

Post by henna »

jshea wrote:
henna wrote:This may have to do with the bill that passed recently, I don't remember the title of it but the one that addressed the mortgage issues. There was language added to it requiring that electronic 3rd party payment services are required to begin reporting transaction info to the IRS. I thought it was to begin in 2010, but perhaps I misread the dates. At least now I don't feel like such a dope for reporting ebay income for the last 3 years.

I can't remember ... do you report any/all income, or is there a threshold? Something like $1,000+?

I don't know the rules. I just claim any $ that comes in as gross, minus cost of (the item + ebay / paypal / shipping fees), this way it's taxed as odinary income. I don't know if appreciation of art would quailfy as capital gains under the tax code and therefore be taxable at 15%. But when I consider what the difference boils down to in actual dollars I just figure it's not worth the hassle of talking to a tax accountant about. If you do sell a good amount, you may want to talk to a professional.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

henna wrote:
jshea wrote:

I don't know the rules. I just claim any $ that comes in as gross, minus cost of (the item + ebay / paypal / shipping fees), this way it's taxed as odinary income. I don't know if appreciation of art would quailfy as capital gains under the tax code and therefore be taxable at 15%. But when I consider what the difference boils down to in actual dollars I just figure it's not worth the hassle of talking to a tax accountant about. If you do sell a good amount, you may want to talk to a professional.

And you just list, "Flipper" as your occupation? :)
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman