Silent Buyer

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
ptd.gwb
Punk

Silent Buyer

Post by ptd.gwb »

hey all, thought i'd see what you guys think of this. i recently sold a print on ebay for last week, and upon the completion of the auction, i noticed that the buyer actually lives within driving distance of where i'm at, so i thought a good idea would be to include a note along with the invoice asking if we can schedule a time where i can personally drive it up to him rather than brave our beloved postal services. he paid through paypal the next day, but no answer to my delivery request, one way or the other. after a few days, i sent another note asking if this was possible, or if he preferred that i just send via USPS postal service insured, sig and delivery confirmation, etc... but still no answer one way or the other.

i feel that i should just send this print to him in the next couple of days since he has paid me, but i feel a bit unsettled about sending it to someone that i have not established an email correspondence with. this person does have 100% positive reviews as both a buyer and seller on over 100 items, so perhaps he just doesn't have regular access to email. he also has a confirmed paypal address.

should i just go ahead and send this with delivery and signature confirmation and full purchase price insurance and hope for the best, or should i be taking any other precautions. i've been screwed over before as a buyer so i want to make sure i take all necessary precautions before i send this thing away.

any advice from y'all knowledgeable people would be very much appreciated!
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

There are many possible reasons the buyer has not responded, since they paid and he's got a confirmed paypal address I think you should just ship the print to the buyers address.
robotoil
Giant

Re:

Post by robotoil »

Cookie Head wrote:There are many possible reasons the buyer has not responded, since they paid and he's got a confirmed paypal address I think you should just ship the print to the buyers address.
DZEL
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by DZEL »

robotoil wrote:
Cookie Head wrote:There are many possible reasons the buyer has not responded, since they paid and he's got a confirmed paypal address I think you should just ship the print to the buyers address.
extremeimages77
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by extremeimages77 »

DZEL wrote:
robotoil wrote:

with delivery conf. and insurance
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

I could see this potentially turning into a sad story. I would continue trying to contact the buyer. You used to be able to request buyers phone #s from ebay. I'm not sure if they still do that, but it might be a good option.

best of luck!
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
ptd.gwb
Punk

Re: Silent Buyer

Post by ptd.gwb »

thanks guys for all your advice. i've decided to send him one final email updating him of my intentions, that since he has paid me, that if he doesn't reply me either way, to hand deliver or mail, i will post it by friday with sig and delivery confirmation and insurance (i'm assuming if no one is there to sign/receive it then it'll somehow get sent back to me?). i am going to get myself a nice 3" pvc pipe and put that into a triangle box and pack it real nice and tight for him. i've read through his feedbacks and he has bought art and prints before, and has many positive comments (great communication being one of them, which is not so in this case), so i may just be completely paranoid... sometimes obey does that to ya ;) thanks circa for the request member's phone number advice, i checked ebay and i think you can still do this, so i'll get right on that.

will keep you guys posted...
stickertraders
Swindler

Post by stickertraders »

Good luck with this. I know how you feel, I just shipped a very pricey piece to a client Friday with DC# and Insurance. It shows "Arrival At Unit" which kinda scares me, it should say "Delivered".
http://stickertraders.com (Trade Stickers with the World)
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

I occasionally have buyers tell me that they rarely check the email address associated with their Paypal account. Don't know why ... but that might be the case here. I guess some people just use Paypal for payment and not communication.
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

You tried to send him a message through ebay right?
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
ptd.gwb
Punk

Post by ptd.gwb »

yea i've tried to message him through the ebay messaging system multiple times. last night i actually invoked the find members detail option on ebay, and have his phone number. i am going to sit on that for bit, a part of me thinks i don't want to stir the pot too much, i don't want him to think i'm this crazy seller who's stalking him. speaking of which, i have googled my buyer, and he does seem legit, he's on the board of finance in his town in connecticut, i have googled his name and phone number and it does pop up as a listed number and same address in the yellow pages, etc. i am going to guess he is a more aged man who does not go online often, only to purchase limited edition prints... i'm at a place now where i'm starting to think, if it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be. all this drama is enough for anyone to go cookoo... all for an offset print!
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

I really think you are over-thinking this. Just send the print!
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

ptd.gwb wrote:yea i've tried to message him through the ebay messaging system multiple times. last night i actually invoked the find members detail option on ebay, and have his phone number. i am going to sit on that for bit, a part of me thinks i don't want to stir the pot too much, i don't want him to think i'm this crazy seller who's stalking him. speaking of which, i have googled my buyer, and he does seem legit, he's on the board of finance in his town in connecticut, i have googled his name and phone number and it does pop up as a listed number and same address in the yellow pages, etc. i am going to guess he is a more aged man who does not go online often, only to purchase limited edition prints... i'm at a place now where i'm starting to think, if it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be. all this drama is enough for anyone to go cookoo... all for an offset print!

I have to say I am wondering why you have all this anxiety of shipping the print to someone who has paid for it and has a confirmed address. Insure it and track it as you would normally do and ship it. Done and done.
ptd.gwb
Punk

Post by ptd.gwb »

yes, totally agree. it's one of my many personality flaws actually, being overly obsessive and worrying too much about things i can't control. you're right robo, done and done! will send it out tomorrow! thanks everyone for contributing, it's been therapeutic... most of my other friends start tuning out after i start saying "so i have this print, and..."
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

robotoil wrote:
ptd.gwb wrote:yea i've tried to message him through the ebay messaging system multiple times. last night i actually invoked the find members detail option on ebay, and have his phone number. i am going to sit on that for bit, a part of me thinks i don't want to stir the pot too much, i don't want him to think i'm this crazy seller who's stalking him. speaking of which, i have googled my buyer, and he does seem legit, he's on the board of finance in his town in connecticut, i have googled his name and phone number and it does pop up as a listed number and same address in the yellow pages, etc. i am going to guess he is a more aged man who does not go online often, only to purchase limited edition prints... i'm at a place now where i'm starting to think, if it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be. all this drama is enough for anyone to go cookoo... all for an offset print!

I have to say I am wondering why you have all this anxiety of shipping the print to someone who has paid for it and has a confirmed address. Insure it and track it as you would normally do and ship it. Done and done.

i agree with robotoil. you are way over thinking it. you sold something on ebay and the buyer paid and expects it to be shipped in a timely manner. just because you live close doesn't mean that the buyer wants you to hand deliver it (even though it would be a lot easier) nor does the buyer have to respond to your emails offering an alternative delivery method. the buyer paid for the item and for the shipping, just send it to him as you would have done if the buyer lived on the other side of the country.
ptd.gwb
Punk

Post by ptd.gwb »

Everything is resolved. The guy just called me, he's been away travelling and didn't have access to email (you guys were right, as usual). He actually has a loft in Manhattan and he'll pick it up next week from me. He also started telling me about his massive rock and roll memorabilia collection, and all his other prints, etc.. I'm glad it's going to a good home. Thanks to everyone again for your advice.

Till the next print drops,
Justin
ptd.gwb
Punk

Post by ptd.gwb »

However, in my defense, I should also add this: He did say during the call that it was good I didn't send it away immediately since he would not have been there to receive it, since he was travelling and wouldn't have been back till next week. So to a certain extent, I think i was correct in trying to establish some kind of communication with him one way or other before I sent it away to USPS gods. And as a buyer, if you are going to be away travelling for a week or two after winning a bid, drop the seller a line and let him know! Unless we like prints sitting on the porch, collected by a neighbor, or unclaimed in some storage facility, all of which i came across when reading these boards, and did their part in fueling my paranoia...
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

ptd.gwb wrote:Everything is resolved. The guy just called me, he's been away travelling and didn't have access to email (you guys were right, as usual). He actually has a loft in Manhattan and he'll pick it up next week from me. He also started telling me about his massive rock and roll memorabilia collection, and all his other prints, etc.. I'm glad it's going to a good home. Thanks to everyone again for your advice.

Till the next print drops,
Justin

maybe you should bring to him and check out his collection...could be interesting
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
johnstonamerica
Artist or Something

Post by johnstonamerica »

I just love a happy ending!

http://www.johnstonamerica.com
Rob Johnston Artist - Johnston America Folk Art Gallery