Where's my Chinese Soldier

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
minoka3
Posse

Re: Re:

Post by minoka3 »

speedoguy wrote:
noetic wrote:
password wrote:This thread loses a lot without a pic of your actual piece

+1
mrxscarface28 wrote: First you'll have to jump through a ring of fire, walk on hot coals, and fight a death match with Gondor the Impaler.... Then MAYBE you'll get a print in your shopping cart.
rhinomilk
Propaganda Engineer

Post by rhinomilk »

minoka3 wrote:
speedoguy wrote:
noetic wrote:

+1
easycraig
Giant

Re: Where's my Chinese Soldier

Post by easycraig »

-this happens a lot with Shepards images and preveiws... jpgs are forwarded to the gallery prior to the show.... -the gallery, then puts it up on the preview. and they sell.... its just the nature of the beast... I got to the White Walls show and my purchase was not the same as the jpg on the preview.(in fact, I have not even opened my purchase so who knows what the hell is sitting in there!? lol :lol: ) I know some of the jpg preview images from the DC show were actual pieces from the White Walls show....(that were already sold). It is what it is.... its great if you like your new image more then the preview, not so great if you don't. - but, its tough to toss it back because Sheps stuff is so difficult to get.... ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
blazedoutbee
Propaganda Engineer

Post by blazedoutbee »

speedoguy wrote:
noetic wrote:

:mrgreen:
password
Giant

Post by password »

You can always return it, buy the silkscreen on wood edition, and pocket the change:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-Obey ... 0088390547
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Please discuss:

Pic 1 is the image I thought I was purchasing. 2 actual HPM

Check out my T-shirt quilts
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

far less drastic than I was imagining from your description. but if you aren't happy with it, send it back
avoid disappointment and future regret
mr Revs
Giant

Re:

Post by mr Revs »

mr Revs wrote:Missing the arrow, rise above, the obey giant eblem, and the lotus leaves.

I think I was pretty accurate
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Revs,

Not trying to drag up the rev thing. Just a little kick after your comment about people taking whatever they got from OG blindly. That was a little uncalled for. Some of us still keep a critical eye on the art and are vocal when we see something we consider sub-par.

Now that I can see your picture, I see what you mean about the missing elements. That said, you still have a very nice piece there.
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

mr Revs wrote:
mr Revs wrote:Missing the arrow, rise above, the obey giant eblem, and the lotus leaves.

I think I was pretty accurate

i didnt say it wasn't accurate, i said its not as drastic....imo
whyhoo
itsame

Re:

Post by whyhoo »

robotoil wrote:Revs,

Not trying to drag up the rev thing. Just a little kick after your comment about people taking whatever they got from OG blindly. That was a little uncalled for. Some of us still keep a critical eye on the art and are vocal when we see something we consider sub-par.

Now that I can see your picture, I see what you mean about the missing elements. That said, you still have a very nice piece there.

agreed, it's def different than in the picture and i see your point.

but revs man... you have to expect a dig or two (or 100) on your previous actions that you were proud enough to advertise!!! honestly every time i read a post you make, i come up with some way to bust your chops. but i refrain.
on point like a decimalist?
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

thanks for refraining.
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

I agree with robo here. While it is definitely not the piece that was advertised, it is an awesome piece. Keep it.
mcostello
Swindler

Post by mcostello »

Asides from the actual differences in the piece, or revs banter.

I think thats irresponsible of the studio and the gallery.

They should spend the extra 2 min to take a photo of every piece in every edition, or make sure every buyer receives a clear disclaimer that their piece might be different.

It's a small gesture of courtesy and professionalism for a piece of artwork that is $7,500 +
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

mcostello wrote:I think thats irresponsible of the studio and the gallery.

They should spend the extra 2 min to take a photo of every piece in every edition, or make sure every buyer receives a clear disclaimer that their piece might be different.

It's a small gesture of courtesy and professionalism for a piece of artwork that is $7,500 +
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

robotoil wrote:

The problem with that is not each piece is created at the same time. Everyone understands (and one of the reason so many people love) that HPMS are different, the source image is the same but there are different elements that are added to each one at the time of creation making each one feel very unique. While I understand Revs disappointment about not receiving the pictured one I think it is his responsibility as the buyer to ask the question about which piece he would be receiving.
While it would be nice for Obey to have provided actual pictures you guys need to keep in mind most of the work is created just before the show and might not have time in the rush of making sure everything is done to insure that all the pictures are 100% correct. Also this could be a case of WW getting 2 by the time REVS sees the preview list 1 already sold (the pictured one) and only the second one was left. The second one would have been made at a later date and that would be the reason for the different background.
When I bought my Strummer record from Levine I asked if I was going to receive the one pictured and they said that one was already sold and the one I purchased had yet to be made so I should expect something a little different.

Also do you expect Faile to take a picture of each of their prints as they also have different hand finishing techniques to them. Most people buy those with the understanding that they might get something a little different from the one pictured and so many people thats part of the excitement.

EDIT* I should add that the piece is still stunning and even though its not 100% what you expected I am sure you are still going to enjoy it very much. :)
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

ok, i changed my mind, its drastic enough.... and i totally agree with what mcostello said.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

mcostello wrote:Asides from the actual differences in the piece, or revs banter.

I think thats irresponsible of the studio and the gallery.

i agree with the disclaimer but it's not possible to take a photo of every piece because not every piece is completed at the time of sale. i bought a record cover from the levine show and the one i got was the "one additional available" and was told on the phone that the piece hadn't been made yet and would take a little longer to get. BUT i was only told that AFTER i asked if the one on the website was the one i was actually going to be receiving.... when you spend that kind of money on a piece of art it's your responsibility to make sure you know exactly what you are buying - especially if you aren't buying it in person.

it would also be a nice gesture for OG to put more details in their store like edition sizes, what kind of print (screen or litho) and print size but we rarely ever get that.... hell, it would even be a nice gesture for places like OG and POW (POW doesn't even tape the end caps on the tubes) to use better packaging and tubes but we all know that will never happen.
Last edited by conartstudio on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

I see what you are saying about the difference Revs. Now I have another question, is yours a stencil piece? The one from the web site seems more like a screened piece. What medium is yours?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

robotoil wrote:

Exactly, that'd be ideal! But like others have said, the editions aren't always completed at the time of sale and photographing/editing/organizing the photos for a whole shows worth of images, plus all of the other pieces in the editions would take a loooong time... but they should post a clear disclaimer (stating something about hand-finished elements may vary drastically from piece to piece), at least, for sure.

MrRevs, I definitely dig yours more than the preview image (mainly because a few elements and areas that look better to me on yours versus the preview file photo, but it's all personal preference), but it's not mine, it's yours, so I'm sorry to see/hear that you didn't receive the piece that you were expecting/planning on receiving!

They are clearly very different (in the hand-finished details for sure), if I got it and was expecting the preview piece I don't have a clue what/how I would feel about it.

I hope your piece grows on you, man!
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
mcostello
Swindler

Post by mcostello »

so in the fall when one of us miraculously gets the #1 preview slot at the levine show. and can't decide between DOH 4 and DOH2 stencil collage because you love both pieces, you have first dibs, cause your #1. but you go with DOH 4 cause it has some nice texture from yen pattern in the top left corner, and shepard signed it on a check, cause we are all insane about this work and those details are what we get off on as a group. eff it. flip a coin and hope your piece rules on delivery day.

:lol:
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

I appreciate all the feedback. It is a great piece in the end for sure. I just liked the extra stuff on the preview image and a disclaimer would be nice. I sent an email to OG letting them know about my feelings on this transaction.
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

Patillac13 wrote:
robotoil wrote:

Exactly, that'd be ideal! But like others have said, the editions aren't always completed at the time of sale

so they are selling og items before they are in hand, isnt that flipping, dont people get banned for life from og for that?
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

speedoguy wrote:
Patillac13 wrote:
robotoil wrote:

Exactly, that'd be ideal! But like others have said, the editions aren't always completed at the time of sale

so they are selling og items before they are in hand, isnt that flipping, dont people get banned for life from og for that?

[size=200]
HA![/size]
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

If anyone has a pick of the one displayed at the show, I would love to see it.