Where's my Chinese Soldier

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
mr Revs
Giant

Where's my Chinese Soldier

Post by mr Revs »

So I bought my parents a Chinese Soldier Hand Stenciled HPM form the last White Walls show and I just got to see it for the first time. Suprise! it was not the same one pictured on their website. It lacks much of the collage elements and extra screenprinting that was shown in the image the displayed on their website. I am a little peeved about it. Anyone else ever have this problem before? I did not have a camera with me to take a picture of the actual piece received.

Not cool :?
Check out my T-shirt quilts
djsp
Giant

Re: Where's my Chinese Soldier

Post by djsp »

mr Revs wrote:So I bought my parents a Chinese Soldier Hand Stenciled HPM form the last White Walls show and I just got to see it for the first time. Suprise! it was not the same one pictured on their website. It lacks much of the collage elements and extra screenprinting that was shown in the image the displayed on their website. I am a little peeved about it. Anyone else ever have this problem before? I did not have a camera with me to take a picture of the actual piece received.

Not cool :?

When they say they have more than one available, you don't necessarily get the one on the wall, which is generally what the picture is of. I did not get the one that was in the show of my HPM. It came from SNO, to white walls, then me.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Fair enough. However, there was only one available. Since i could not make it to the show, I had no idea what was on the wall. This was shipped from White Walls so clearly the picture did not match the one on the wall. I don't think I should be penalized for not being able to go to the show. Are you saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with they did? Just trying to sort my feelings on this subject.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

At the Levine show last year, some of the HPMs had not even been made when the show was going on.

This is the nature of the beast. I can image your surprise though. I think the gallery could have done a better job educating you though.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

I am pretty well educated on the subject. I have purchased from Levine and MK Gallery before, all HPMS, and I have never experienced this before. My version has NONE of the red screening that was shown on the image.

To me, it is a completely different piece entirely without them. Missing the arrow, rise above, the obey giant eblem, and the lotus leaves. I can live with different collage elements (that is the nature of the best), but I can't help but feel gypped out of the rest.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

mr Revs wrote: Are you saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with they did?

Yes I am saying that. I don't feel that an internet picture is an accurate representation of the final piece no matter what. I can understand your frustration if there was something that you really liked in the on you saw online, but with hpms being editioned, and not one offs, it seems that is just the way it goes. Maybe others see it different, but that is my take on it.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

I think it is an easier pill to swallow once it has had a chance to go down a little. It is also easier for the person that didn't cough up 7k. I can't help but notice the consensus on this board to just be happy with whatever Obey shovels down our throats.
djsp
Giant

Re:

Post by djsp »

mr Revs wrote:I think it is an easier pill to swallow once it has had a chance to go down a little. It is also easier for the person that didn't cough up 7k. I can't help but notice the consensus on this board to just be happy with whatever Obey shovels down our throats.

I can't help but notice that people ask opinions and just blow it off as being complacent, when it doesn't back up what they want to hear. Get your money back Revs. It has nothing to do with taking what is shoveled down our throats, it has to do with reality. You yourself stated you are well versed. You should know what these pieces are about by now then.
password
Giant

Post by password »

This thread loses a lot without a pic of your actual piece
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

I think it would have been nice if they would have told you that there was that much of a difference. I have been mad at buying a shirt online and the wrong color screen was given to me. It showed a totally different color in the photo. I sent it back and said this is not what I was expecting...(I know there is a HUGE difference between a HPM and a shirt but same sort of thought process...)
My Obey Collection: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Djsp- I am not discrediting what you are saying. In fact, I really appreciate your perspective on the subject. Your comments bring up other issues for me in regards to Obey Giant and the way they defy normal business practices. Why not just take the time to put a picture up of the 1 version that was being sold? This mix-up (lets call it) seems right in line with my past experiences with OG purchase but not my transactions on fine art pieces.

I am not blowing you off. I am playing a bit of the devil's advocate here and trying to get more opinions. I will post a pic when I get a chance. Then we can discuss if it is really a different piece that is at the very least worth an explanation to the customer for future shows.

Customer service is important to me as a business owner and unfortunately many of the people that obey aligns themselves with are not versed in this.
robotoil
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by robotoil »

djsp wrote:
mr Revs wrote:I think it is an easier pill to swallow once it has had a chance to go down a little. It is also easier for the person that didn't cough up 7k. I can't help but notice the consensus on this board to just be happy with whatever Obey shovels down our throats.

Get your money back Revs.

Seriously. If you are not happy with the piece, return it. No need to swallow anything. Then again, it is pretty hard to get stuff from OG. I mean, it's not like it's just laying around the street or anything.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Yes, impossible to get. Let's not revisit the rev'd thing on this one. I am trying to redeem myself by spending 17k on obey stuff every year. I also have a little surprise present for one lucky board member for Christmas. and it looks like this, but in traditional red, black and white obey colors:

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/original- ... d-t-shirts

Who do I speak to about organizing a board give away contest?
noetic
Giant

Re:

Post by noetic »

password wrote:This thread loses a lot without a pic of your actual piece
I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

robotoil wrote:
djsp wrote:

Seriously. If you are not happy with the piece, return it. No need to swallow anything. Then again, it is pretty hard to get stuff from OG. I mean, it's not like it's just laying around the street or anything.

I've purchased Stenciled pieces from both Levine and WW and neither were even made yet in fact I still haven't received my piece from WW. but I've always been pleasantly surprised. Even if I wasn't happy I probably wouldn't send it back, but that's me.

Pretty subtle RO!
password
Giant

Post by password »

robotoil wrote:
djsp wrote:

skoola
Giant

Re:

Post by skoola »

mr Revs wrote:Yes, impossible to get. Let's not revisit the rev'd thing on this one. I am trying to redeem myself by spending 17k on obey stuff every year. I also have a little surprise present for one lucky board member for Christmas. and it looks like this, but in traditional red, black and white obey colors:

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/original- ... d-t-shirts

Who do I speak to about organizing a board give away contest?

just make a thread for your contest and...that's it i would guess
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Does this need to be approved b mods or admin?
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

i would be annoyed.. i wouldn't send it back, but i might sell it.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

mr Revs wrote:Does this need to be approved b mods or admin?

nope! you can post a contest yourself, if you'd like to!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
djsp
Giant

Re:

Post by djsp »

mr Revs wrote:Djsp- I am not discrediting what you are saying. In fact, I really appreciate your perspective on the subject. Your comments bring up other issues for me in regards to Obey Giant and the way they defy normal business practices. Why not just take the time to put a picture up of the 1 version that was being sold? This mix-up (lets call it) seems right in line with my past experiences with OG purchase but not my transactions on fine art pieces.

I am not blowing you off. I am playing a bit of the devil's advocate here and trying to get more opinions. I will post a pic when I get a chance. Then we can discuss if it is really a different piece that is at the very least worth an explanation to the customer for future shows.

Customer service is important to me as a business owner and unfortunately many of the people that obey aligns themselves with are not versed in this.

Ok. We can be friends again. :mrgreen:
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Yeah
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

if you hate it that much ill buy it :wink:
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

It's unfortunate.
They should definitely take the time to state the edition size and the fact that
your piece may look different than the "example" they are showing.

I would be a little annoyed. Saying, "just return it", is easier said than done.
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

noetic wrote:
password wrote:This thread loses a lot without a pic of your actual piece