Unwanted Emails

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
James Reeves
Posse

Unwanted Emails

Post by James Reeves »

I got an unwanted email from Hang Up Pictures yesterday advertising Herakut in Philips Auction House soon. Great, an unsolicited newsletter email about an artist I don't even like, and it got me thinking...

Anyone else find themselves on way too many unwanted email newsletters with regards to art? Most of them I don't even remember signing up for! And although unwanted emails arrive in my mailbox from ALL kinds of art galleries... the street art galleries are the most frequent offenders. Many of them are just a minor annoyance requiring me to unsubscribe, some however (like Urban Angel) have no unsubscribe option.

Am I just being hypersensitive here? or do other people find 5 or so unwanted emails in your inbox everyday a bit annoying?
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

I wish I had only 5 every day.
slidingaround
Giant

Re:

Post by slidingaround »

Gigantico wrote:I wish I had only 5 every day.
James Reeves
Posse

Re:

Post by James Reeves »

Gigantico wrote:I wish I had only 5 every day.

oh I get more than that in unwanted emails, but I am talking about unwanted emails specifically from art galleries or art websites...
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Re: Unwanted Emails

Post by mose »

I got hit up with that one as well. I find most of the art ones I get aren't unsolicited so much as 'I forgot I signed up there three years ago when I was interested in that artist'....

For example, Eyestorm hits me up quite frequently because I like Antony Micallef and have inquired about Chris Kettle.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Unwanted Emails

Post by conartstudio »

James Reeves wrote:I got an unwanted email from Hang Up Pictures yesterday advertising Herakut in Philips Auction House soon. Great, an unsolicited newsletter email about an artist I don't even like, and it got me thinking...

it's funny that you mentioned it because i got the exact same email.... and guess where they got your email address from - pictures on walls (POW).

want to know how i know? every time i sign up for a newsletter i use a different email address (i have my own hosting account and numerous domains) specifically for that newsletter. i do this incase i start getting tons of spam i can see which email address the spam was sent to which in turn leads me to the source of who gave/sold my address to someone else. so for POW i set up an email address that was pow@mydomain.com. POW was the only place i used this address and i've gotten a ton of other art related emails sent to that address from other galleries in the UK. on gallery kept spamming me despite multiple requests to unsubscribe - finally after about 8 emails from them and one last nasty email from me they unsubscribed me

POW is selling/sharing your email address. i've mentioned this before here and it was shrugged off.... it kind of pisses me off that POW is doing this.

i'm going to set up an autoresponder to all email sent to that address and tell the send to F-OFF

i'm going to set upp
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

I'm getting the same and wondering if it IS from POW sharing address.

Can't you just mark them as junk and forget about it?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

toyroom wrote:I'm getting the same and wondering if it IS from POW sharing address.

no need to wonder because it IS from POW sharing or selling our email addresses. like i said, i set up an email account specifically to use only for the POW mailing list and this is the email address that is getting all the spam from other UK artists and art galleries. this email address was used ONLY for the POW mailing list and nothing else.

you can speculate all you want but i'm tell you for a fact that these spammers got my email address from POW. POW is responsible. whether my address was stolen, shared or sold is the only thing that can be speculated.
robotoil
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by robotoil »

fribhey wrote:
toyroom wrote:I'm getting the same and wondering if it IS from POW sharing address.

no need to wonder because it IS from POW sharing or selling our email addresses. like i said, i set up an email account specifically to use only for the POW mailing list and this is the email address that is getting all the spam from other UK artists and art galleries. this email address was used ONLY for the POW mailing list and nothing else.

you can speculate all you want but i'm tell you for a fact that these spammers got my email address from POW. POW is responsible. whether my address was stolen, shared or sold is the only thing that can be speculated.

It's such a bandwagoner move pm POW's part. I've used that trick before myself. You could return the favor and subscribe POW to a million different sites.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Do POWs emails arrive damaged too?

;-)
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Re:

Post by whyhoo »

fribhey wrote:

i've been doing this for years as well! its a nifty way to know what's up.
on point like a decimalist?
James Reeves
Posse

Re:

Post by James Reeves »

cybernigel wrote:Do POWs emails arrive damaged too?

;-)

HA! :lol: