How do I remove pasters in my city?

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
submethod
Giant

How do I remove pasters in my city?

Post by submethod »

I tried looking for anwser on this but came up with nothing.

Is there a way to remove pasters from walls aside from cutting the wall?

There are dozens of Obey, TOOF, 2cent and other artist prints up on my city walls and would like to remove them for my collection. Anyone ever done this successfully?

Any advice would be appreciated.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

ask Mr. Revs............ j/k

pretty weak idea to remove pasters, or any art intended to be on the "streets"
Last edited by spagucci1 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Are you f^cking serious?
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
TinManOne
Giant

Re: How do I remove pasters in my city?

Post by TinManOne »

Horrible idea man....

Anything harvested from the streets is pretty weak

2 cents !!

submethod wrote:I tried looking for anwser on this but came up with nothing.

Is there a way to remove pasters from walls aside from cutting the wall?

There are dozens of Obey, TOOF, 2cent and other artist prints up on my city walls and would like to remove them for my collection. Anyone ever done this successfully?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

it is kinda weak but I get where this guys comming from. I mean guys, the artists put work on the streets, if they really gave a sh!t if it was gonna get stolen or buffed, they would put it on a canvas. Lay off the dude, some of the sh!t is to expensive to buy, times are tough.

No, I dont condone it, I have never done it, but give him a break.
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
noetic
Giant

Post by noetic »

I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

SH!TZ WEEK!!
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
analogtrash
Giant

Re:

Post by analogtrash »

zanzi123 wrote:it is kinda weak but I get where this guys comming from. I mean guys, the artists put work on the streets, if they really gave a sh!t if it was gonna get stolen or buffed, they would put it on a canvas. Lay off the dude, some of the sh!t is to expensive to buy, times are tough.

Artists use the streets as a medium to express themselves; the pieces are intended for everyone to see, at no charge. Economic circumstances are not an excuse to remove public pieces and put them in to private collections. It is a very selfish move. Why not take a few pictures instead?
cybernigel
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by cybernigel »

analogtrash wrote:
zanzi123 wrote:it is kinda weak but I get where this guys comming from. I mean guys, the artists put work on the streets, if they really gave a sh!t if it was gonna get stolen or buffed, they would put it on a canvas. Lay off the dude, some of the sh!t is to expensive to buy, times are tough.

Artists use the streets as a medium to express themselves; the pieces are intended for everyone to see, at no charge. Economic circumstances are not an excuse to remove public pieces and put them in to private collections. It is a very selfish move. Why not take a few pictures instead?
Well said Analog.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

true very true.

As I said before, I really dont condone it. Was just saying I see where he is comming from.

It is better to take pics.

If we are getting mad at this guy, we should be mad at alot of members here, they have street pieces too.

Guys, just dont answer his question, you really think trashing him is gonna stop him from trying to figure it out?

Great opinon analog, I agree completly.
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

It appears that I have struck a nerve. Respectfully, I really do not see an issue with this. I am not going to even begin an argument based on what's immoral or unethical. Those debates go nowhere.

People do way worse things than remove a paster on a street corner on here.
add 'em
Swindler

Post by add 'em »

admonkey wrote:Image
ha!

I don't like the idea Sub. Have you ever put up art?
add 'em subtract 'em
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

submethod wrote:It appears that I have struck a nerve. Respectfully, I really do not see an issue with this. I am not going to even begin an argument based on what's immoral or unethical. Those debates go nowhere.

People do way worse things than remove a paster on a street corner on here.

Aw, c'mon. You had no problem moralizing over Atatürk. You seemed to think that was going somewhere. :lol:

Analog nailed it. You're wanting to steal from the public in order to pad your collection... and possibly even your wallet.

Moved to Giant v. Giant.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

Weak move - leave it be
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

submethod wrote:I am not going to even begin an argument based on what's immoral or unethical.
Apparently, that's to your advantage.
submethod wrote:Those debates go nowhere.
?? Ethics are a formal topic of study.There are entire college courses dedicated to the subject.
submethod wrote:People do way worse things than remove a paster on a street corner on here.
With this absolutism thinking you can justify everything short of murder.

Sure no one is stopping you and if all you care about is yourself then go ahead and take them and wallow in your own narcissism. If you respect those artists, and as an obvious fan you might, then abide by their wishes and let them remain in the medium they were intended. It's more about what kind of person you want to be than what kind of stuff you can have.
sas
Posse

Post by sas »

Please just let the art be. Find some other way to make money or get cool art. This crosses the imaginary line that we all stay behind. You owe us an explanation why you think this is ok to do because you are taking art that was left for all of us, so please give us an explanation why you think it is ok to do.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

Don't do it. I regret taking stuff off the street and just try to spend as much money buying now to make up for my mistakes
Check out my T-shirt quilts
submethod
Giant

Re:

Post by submethod »

mr Revs wrote:Don't do it. I regret taking stuff off the street and just try to spend as much money buying now to make up for my mistakes
<smirking>
I owe no one any explanantions and make no apologies. So please get off your high horses. Who ever made you guys the moral and ethics police? Puh-leeeze.

Revs, Zanz, and Analog thanks for the the proper responses. You actually made me think about it. That's all it took.

The rest of you resort to name calling and flaming. Pretty ineffective. Callling me a thief or a narcissist won't get you anywhere. Even more so, I like how this whole Sunday night fiesta has evolved into a "get rich scheme" for Sub. Who ever said I was selling anything?

Anyway, where's my paster solvent...can anyone please answer my question? :twisted:
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

The message is in the medium.

Shepard makes his work available in so many different forms. If you want to buy, there are hundreds if not thousands of different ways to do so.

The street stuff is there to enjoy in its native setting. No need to disturb that. The "Man," or the haters, will remove it in time.
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

ask yourself - "What would Shepard do?" Simple enough and should solve your dilema.

why did he paste that art? If you appreceiate his ethic and voice, you will know the answer
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Sure man. Makes sense. I just figured the work would be destroyed anyway, so why not grab it before it gets buffed?
cybernigel
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by cybernigel »

submethod wrote:<smirking>
I owe no one any explanantions and make no apologies. Callling me a narcissist won't get you anywhere.
:lol: Classic
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Re:

Post by scud80 »

submethod wrote:Sure man. Makes sense. I just figured the work would be destroyed anyway, so why not grab it before it gets buffed?
you really aren't going to find any sympathetic or helpful voices here (aside from the 8-year-old). if you're serious about this bullgarbage look elsewhere.
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

After hearing him speak at ICA, he talked about this. He said any street artist knows their stuff will be tagged over or cleaned. An artist can't get upset as it is the simple nature of the game.

However, the images being seen by the public and creating thought is the purpose of the OBEY campaign. As fans, we should perhaps look to further the message not just collect.

I would suggest picking up a copy of the ICA Supply and Demand and reading the forward interview with Shep. Speaks to this and the purpose of his street work vs prints vs fine art.

OBEY :)