New price increases at Ducky Waddles

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

Jerry is top notch in my book.

The only problem I have with UK_Artprints is I hate sorting obey by price and having to wade through pages of his crepe before I get to realistcally priced prints.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Mike Panic wrote:great post robotail - as i know you are one of the older colletors going back into the 90's

let's not make this point a discussion about DW

lol. its hard not to when the thread is called new price increases at ducky waddles :twisted:

id also just like to bring up the fact that everyone bawks at the prices from ebay seller uk art prints - but i don't think any of us have bought from them...

True, about the name, but the conversation has moved to prices in general.

I don't think it's "bawking". I think it is astonishment that sometimes they get the price. The person selling those prints is eating up all his profits on listing fees. I laugh when I see 30-40 prints priced out of reality. And, remember, no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to buy anything. The market usually works itself out.
johnstonamerica
Artist or Something

Post by johnstonamerica »

robotoil wrote:And please, let's not make this point a discussion about DW. If I had seen that print I would have bought it too and I already have one.

I did mention I had it (my authoritarian) for sale on eBay several times on the board. Jerry and I were both VERY surprised it only went for 250..
http://www.johnstonamerica.com
Rob Johnston Artist - Johnston America Folk Art Gallery
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

johnstonamerica wrote:I did mention I had it (my authoritarian) for sale on eBay several times on the board. Jerry and I were both VERY surprised it only went for 250..

As was I. Jerry was out bargain shopping and got himself a good one.

I think people mistakenly assume Ebay is the market. It is not. There are many art purchasers who would never go to ebay to buy anything, and prefer to shop galleries for various reasons, just as there are people who buy HDMI cables from Best Buy for $150.00, when you can purchase them online for $30.00.

I appreciate this, as it has let me pick up works by Terry Winters, one of my favorites, for amazing prices that are 1/2 to 1/3 of what they would easily get at a fine art auction. Bargain shopping is where it is at for me, although I have turned to galleries for purchases here or there when pieces are otherwise not available.

I don't, and never have, see anything wrong with what Jerry does. He is an art gallery, with all the overhead and expense that goes with it. He has made a long-term committment to the art of Shepard Fairey, and has seen and will continue to see that faith, and risk, pay off. Good for him.

If you don't like Jerry's prices, don't buy from him. Take the time/risk/etc. to explore other avenues. But, if you don't find what you are looking for there, be confident in the knowledge that if you purchase from Jerry you will get an excellent print in great condition(or, with every flaw detailed), great packaging, responsive customer service, and the assurance that you are buying from someone with an excellent, long-term reputation as a Shepard Fairey dealer.

In the end, and in the coming months/years, many of Jerry's valuations will be proven to be very accurate reflections of what overall prices will be in all markets, not just galleries. Others will prove to have been significant bargains.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Having just bought a KISS print from Jerry, I have to say:

1) The print is practically flawless. Jerry mentioned a flaw, but I haven't seen it yet.
2) I'm glad he's in business, because not sure where else I would have found one
3) The print came in bomb proof packaging
4) Overall I'm just pumped to have a KISS print in my collection - and the price was worth it to me.

DW has been good to me over the years, that's for sure....
JErikR
ca77
Giant

Post by ca77 »

a week ago i thought that kiss was a pretty good price, but that i could wait and raise some money, maybe a few weeks down the line i would buy it,
now i am the fool!
Our influence will be gigantic.
Crashing Bore
Swindler

Post by Crashing Bore »

ca77 wrote:a week ago i thought that kiss was a pretty good price, but that i could wait and raise some money, maybe a few weeks down the line i would buy it,
now i am the fool!

That's what happened to me with the Strummer large format. The second I had enough money to buy it it sold out :roll: .
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

huh? that has been gone for ages.
jwaddle
Posse

High Prices

Post by jwaddle »

There is so much being said here that I find it too difficult to adequately respond to all of it. Needless to say that I appreciate all of the positive comments and find a few uninformed and maligning but the key word there is uninformed. I can defend my pricing policies and general business practices at any time. As an example; the person that said I purchased their "Poster" for $90.00 and then intimated that I had taken advantage because I priced it at $200.00 doesn't know that I sold a copy of "Poster" two days ago for $100.00 and I did not force them to sell at $90.00. My offer was a valid one and it was accepted. If he wants to return to the store I will sell it back to him for $90.00. His sarcasm is not appreciated and he doesn't have a clue. And yes I buy at wholesale but my margin is very thin, certainly not near 50%, I pay retail for special items if I am able to get them at all. I did not get any Ali's, I paid retail for watches and toys and special prints. My agreement with Shepard is for standard prints and when I get them I put half on my site at the issue price and the other half in the store for my gallery patrons and I sell them all at the issue price even though they have been sold out on obeygiant.com for days or weeks. In my attempt to not oversell my allotment I do not put them on my site untill I pick them up. With Arab Woman I put it on the site the day I went to LA to get them but they had not yet been received from the printer so I did not actually have them in my posession for another week and a half. In the "old days" when they took much longer to sell out I would raise my price to $50.00 to discourage flippers and when that no longer worked I raised it to $75.00 as I just did with the Sabbath Orange sell out. However now, with instantanious sell outs, any prints that are priced higher than issue price are purchased by me on the secondary market. I respect Shepard's philosophy and try to not exploit his work. I tend to be altruistic in my dealings and do not hype art as an investment even though as we have seen it can be a very good investment. I will be more than happy to discuss any of my policies with anyone at anytime. I do not enjoy being malinged in a public forum by uninformed people. If you have a problem we can discuss it. Customer satisfaction is very important to me and the last thing I want is to offend. The recent mistake I made in this forum with an inappropriate accusation was due to my ignorance of the medium and when I was informed of my mistake my apology was sincere. Again I appreciate the positive feedback and take total responbsibility for my actions.
Jerry @ Ducky Waddle's Emporium
ca77
Giant

Post by ca77 »

robotoil wrote:huh? that has been gone for ages.

the $800 kiss print? it was still there last week. im almost certain that it sold right after you sold one here
Our influence will be gigantic.
Marilyn
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Marilyn »

JErikR wrote:Having just bought a KISS print from Jerry, I have to say:

1) The print is practically flawless. Jerry mentioned a flaw, but I haven't seen it yet.
2) I'm glad he's in business, because not sure where else I would have found one
3) The print came in bomb proof packaging
4) Overall I'm just pumped to have a KISS print in my collection - and the price was worth it to me.

DW has been good to me over the years, that's for sure....

Everytime I had conversations with Jerry over the past few months, we'd marvel at the fact that kiss, one of THE archetypal pieces, was still unsold with everything selling around it...che...obey tv...ming..john..paul..andre...everyone was thinking about it.....the price is going up.....and then BOOM...sold out...Erik from seattle. nice move !
Be Honest. I know more than you can imagine.
ChapPKP
Propaganda Engineer

Post by ChapPKP »

I think Jerry runs a great business...I only wish I had more money to spend
Check Out my EBAY Auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZchappkp
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

He's a stand up guy and a visionary in his own right.
avoid disappointment and future regret
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

The whole point of me starting this thread was to basically say prices are going up all around. Not to say you are getting gouged by Jerry. If any of you thought that, that is not what I meant. Too many people have used this thread to attack Jerry's pricing policies. Stop it. If you don't like the prices at Ducky's then don't purchase from him. IMHO, your loss.

If you have something to say, then by all means say it.

I have been collecting for a loooong time and I know what prices should be. Jerry is right on and sometimes low for old pieces. For the recent stuff, go to eBay and knock yourselves out.

On a personal note, Jerry is a very nice person with good business practices. I will never start a thread again that includes DW. I will only discuss these matters with those whom share and respect open markets. If you haven't noticed Shepard's prints mock communism.

I am sick over where this thread has gone and will start taking names.

Let this thread stop here. Please.