New price increases at Ducky Waddles

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
robotoil
Giant

New price increases at Ducky Waddles

Post by robotoil »

Mostly on the older prints, what few are left. Beatles is now $6000. Some others have broken the $1000 mark. This is earlier then I expected.
Last edited by robotoil on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Probably because the Lightning sold @ $750.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

no doubt. he had two and i got it for $300 a while back.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

It was easily the best of the $750's avail and maybe should have been $1000 itself before it sold. The other $750's now at $1000 I think is a bit of a stretch. This is going by imagery alone.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

Thanks for the update... I just picked up a Bad Brains from Jerry.. :lol:
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Jerry almost always prices a little bit higher on the older prints. the market eventually catches up. i tried to pry that angela davis out of his hands five years ago when he wasn't interested in selling it. he wanted $1000 at the time. now it is listing for $1200. that seems like a strech too, but he will get it eventually. he always does and he has been doing this for a long time. i can't wait until he sells out his older prints. then it's really going to get interesting.
JErikR
Giant

Authoritarian

Post by JErikR »

Speaking of which, am I missing something or why is everyone so hot and heavy for the Authoritarian print? Did I not get the memo on it?
JErikR
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re: New price increases at Ducky Waddles

Post by admonkey »

robotoil wrote:Mostly on the older prints, what few are left. Beatles is not $6000. Some others have broken the $1000 mark. This is earlier then I expected.

Yet the Obey dog tags are still priced the same. What a bargain! :roll:
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

I really hate those dog tags. I could not find the print page for the longest time. Why the dog tags for the print page?

Per the memo.

To all concerned. The Authoritarian print has been soaked in LSD. Handle with care.
jwaddle
Posse

Dog Tags

Post by jwaddle »

I didn't have any other place to put them. That was even before the "Books" section for Shepard. I guess I could do a "Toys" section also and put the Dog Tags there. I do have toys that I have not yet made available on my web site.
Jerry @ Ducky Waddle's Emporium
jwaddle
Posse

Price Increases

Post by jwaddle »

If you folks had my perspective you would understand the recent price increases. I am in touch with serious collecters all over the world and these are valid prices. Of course you may always be able to purchase a print for less but that in itself does not nulify a valid market value. If anything it reinforces it because the other purchases represent bargains and then you post your bargain purchases on this forum to impress your friends with you business accumen. :lol:
Baurmann Gallery
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Baurmann Gallery »

Jerry, again I agree 100%...except I truly think 1 year from now, your prices could be considered cheap in retrospect ;)

With some artists, your favorite pieces can sit around for years and you can pick it up whenever. This is not the case w/ Shep, especially when his pieces are now selling at places like Art Basel, and a different collector is starting to purchase his work now. People like that will pay 50K for a Shepard masterpiece and consider it a bargain, due to the level where Shep's work is getting in terms of fine art [and what a comparable Warhol masterpiece would cost them].

Give it time, in my opinion Shep will be in Sotheby's or Christies before you know it, and then you will definitely see a HUGE surge in prices...

I would just not wait to much longer w/ Shep's work if you have been eyeing certain pieces, cause one thing for sure about the price increases, his high end fine art and premium images like the Marilyn, Che, stay up girl, and older screenprints will definitely be the first to become extremely pricy [and thus harder to obtain].

Also, in my strong opinion Jerry's prices should be higher than the market average, as buying screenprints from him is as close to buying direct from Shepard as you can. It's like buying something from a gallery or on EBay. You always pay more for provenance, [and w/ Jerry, you get great customer service and your prints shipped perfectly as a bonus]
Mike Panic
Giant

Post by Mike Panic »

Also, in my strong opinion Jerry's prices should be higher than the market average, as buying screenprints from him is as close to buying direct from Shepard as you can. It's like buying something from a gallery or on EBay. You always pay more for provenance, [and w/ Jerry, you get great customer service and your prints shipped perfectly as a bonus]

i disagree, jerry may have a relationship w/ OG, but he is not an offical store to buy them from, OG is the only offical site to buy them from.. im my honest opinion, at this point in the game, it doesn't matter where you aquire the print from.

DW has some prints listed on the site for $200-250 that have been selling at the $75-115 value on ebay for the last 3+ months - clearly there are enough out there that people want to part with that validates these prices. only when those are gone will they be worth more, as they are harder to get. until then, i personally would not pay a premium to buy from anyone, DW or elsewhere.
Mike Panic photography & travel journal
GO! Tattoo Removal Eastern PA Laser Tattoo Removal
ca77
Giant

Post by ca77 »

Mike Panic wrote:

i disagree, jerry may have a relationship w/ OG, but he is not an offical store to buy them from, OG is the only offical site to buy them from.. im my honest opinion, at this point in the game, it doesn't matter where you aquire the print from.

DW has some prints listed on the site for $200-250 that have been selling at the $75-115 value on ebay for the last 3+ months - clearly there are enough out there that people want to part with that validates these prices. only when those are gone will they be worth more, as they are harder to get. until then, i personally would not pay a premium to buy from anyone, DW or elsewhere.

Waddles gets prints and sells them at the same price as Obey to begin with, and you say its the same as ebay? No way. At this point in the game it doesnt matter where you get them from? Do you read any posts in this forum at all? Ducky is one of the very few sources that garantees a mint print, for certain.
Our influence will be gigantic.
jwaddle
Posse

My "high" prices.

Post by jwaddle »

My Malcolm prints are still at $200.00 even though e-bay sales for those prints have dropped to below $100.00. When that series first appeared they were over $200.00 on e-bay and becaue they were really the first huge sell outs and quantitys were not yet being controlled, the market was flooded and I knew the prices would come down but I had to keep mine higher to prevent them from being purchased by flippers. I have always admitted that some of my prices are defensive but as an art dealer I must have stock to sell but since your web site is called Ilikecheap stuff I would assume that you are not one of my customers. My pricing policy is always open to discussion. I have mentioned in the past on this forum that I often discount prices and the Malcolm's are a perfect example of that . I may even lower the prices for that series on my web site, something I have NEVER done before. Many of you have quoted me about discounts when tryijng to purchase premiuim pieces and that is probably not going to happen but if I can give you a better price, I will. It seems that the only time "my high prices" are mentioned is on this forum and you must admit that this is not your average client. When a customer buys an Arab Woman print in my gallery for $35.00 weeks after they have sold out at obeygiant.com and are selling for $150.00 on e-bay, no one complains.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

I appreciate the fact that I can log onto Ducky Waddles and if I find a bargain, or a print I really want I can purchase it, no sweating auctions or swindlers on eBay. I do look for bargains on eBay of course, but they are harder and harder to come by. I say “Thanks Jerry!”
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Personally, I love your stuff, Jerry (ok, except maybe for the dog tags) and I think whatever price you can get for your prints is just fine. You're also the first place I look after a print sells out on OG (case in point, the Street Weapons print I picked up from you for my friend's birthday). Sorry I missed out on your Arab Woman prints; I was in D.C. the Tuesday they dropped so I guess that train's long since left the depot. In any case, if I had unlimited means, yours would be the first place I'd go on a shopping spree and I think you're a credit to the OG community.

admonkey
Crashing Bore
Swindler

Re: My "high" prices.

Post by Crashing Bore »

jwaddle wrote: When a customer buys an Arab Woman print in my gallery for $35.00 weeks after they have sold out at obeygiant.com and are selling for $150.00 on e-bay, no one complains.

I'm certainly not complaining!!! I picked up an Arab Woman along with the Savage 2...saved me as ass-gob of money, that's for sure. I don't have the luxury of sitting on a computer all morning waiting for a new print to drop, so I don't mind paying an extra $10 or $20 for something I (recently at least) missed out on. I would definitely be willing to pay a premium for something I really wanted like a blue Rotten icon or large format Strummer. To be honest, I'm surprised that Chomsky print has been around for as long as it has...
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

When Jerry sells out of the the few remaining Pre-2000 prints, some at $1000, you will all be sorry. Almost no other gallery has any inventory at all. The next price point for purchases will be $1500.

In my opinion, Jerry is artificially capping the prices right now. If you are going to buy a piece of art from a gallery dealer, expect to pay a little more. You will not be able to flip it for 4 years in order to make any money if that is your objective. But, in 4 years, the piece will probably be at a price that you can not afford anymore.

I currently see 3 bargains on Jerry's site. One of them is an outrageous deal. If I didn't already own the piece I would have bought it already. I still might. I'm sure if I name the pieces here, they will be gone tomorrow, so don't ask. Heck, they still might be gone the way things are going.

To the comment about the $250 price point where prints are selling for lower on eBay. I think Jerry explained that very clearly. You will find lower prices for the recent prints. I myself just sold a Malcolm Orange for $80. That was to cover the other 2 that I am going to hold for 5 years. What do you think they will be worth then on eBay and Waddle's then?

Talking about recently released print prices is pretty meaningless IMHO. Talk about a print that has been out of print for at least 3 years when the flipping is taken out of the equation.
BleeckerSt
Punk

Post by BleeckerSt »

We all agree DW ships great and provides great customer service and seems like a nice guy,however I disagree with his tactics. Example he just picked up Authoritarian from ebay for 2 something then turns around and resells it for 1k. Ok so its smart business etc etc. But it also took the chance from a legit collector/fan to get it at a fair market price because an art dealer was poised to snatch it at any price. When i talk to people they often reference dw prices as their justification for a greedy trade. There are many that speak highly of him and alot that share my feelings.

People have shifted from collecting images to worrying about future auctions and the hopes of sitting on the next gold mine.

It bums me out that ill have to compete with dw anytime an older print comes up on ebay. Atleast i can rest knowing i can go to his store and pay fives times what it sold for.
Mike Panic
Giant

Post by Mike Panic »

Waddles gets prints and sells them at the same price as Obey to begin with

and im also going to make the assumption that since DW is a business, and he is friends w/ shep that he gets them at a discount. they also only stay at the the $30/35 level until a day or so after they are sold out, not always that long, at which point they jump to $75.

and you say its the same as ebay

no - im saying that you are not buying from OG, its that simple. the money is going to a 3rd party source, either way.

At this point in the game it doesnt matter where you get them from?

no - but i won't pay a premium to get them from DW if i can get them cheaper on ebay or another source.

Do you read any posts in this forum at all? Ducky is one of the very few sources that garantees a mint print, for certain.

w/ nearly 400 posts, yes i read the forums

as for the mint print... that is up for debate, as to what is really a mint print? i have several that wouldn't be called mint, simply because there are defects in the printing process (screens not perfectly lined up) and tiny creases that are in the back of the paper that don't show up in the front, most likely caused from the printing / handeling of the image prior to shipping to customer, etc.

since your web site is called Ilikecheap stuff I would assume that you are not one of my customers.

ignorant statement... it is one of my sites... and honestly, if i can get it cheaper somewhere else, more then likely i am going to. that being said, ive sold prints to members here at deep discounts over what they go for on ebay or your site because they are members here and collectors. you are saying that your priceing is defensive and you need to stock, here i am selling my doubles discounted so that real collectors can get them.

When a customer buys an Arab Woman print in my gallery for $35.00 weeks after they have sold out at obeygiant.com and are selling for $150.00 on e-bay, no one complains.

this may be true, but how often does it happen? orange sabbath sold out what today? its on your site for $75...
BleeckerSt
Punk

Post by BleeckerSt »

Great post panic. And yes DW gets all first runs at wholesale from OG.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

BleeckerSt wrote:We all agree DW ships great and provides great customer service and seems like a nice guy,however I disagree with his tactics. Example he just picked up Authoritarian from ebay for 2 something then turns around and resells it for 1k. Ok so its smart business etc etc. But it also took the chance from a legit collector/fan to get it at a fair market price because an art dealer was poised to snatch it at any price. When i talk to people they often reference dw prices as their justification for a greedy trade. There are many that speak highly of him and alot that share my feelings.

People have shifted from collecting images to worrying about future auctions and the hopes of sitting on the next gold mine.

It bums me out that ill have to compete with dw anytime an older print comes up on ebay. Atleast i can rest knowing i can go to his store and pay fives times what it sold for.

A "legit collector/fan" should expect to buy at market prices. When someone sees a bargain and goes after it that is just plain common good business sense. That print that you missed out on as a bargain will go to another collector that will appreciate it just as much. Don't fault someone for running a business properly. Jerry is a gallery dealer. What do you expect?

And please, let's not make this point a discussion about DW. If I had seen that print I would have bought it too and I already have one. Why? To trade/sell/or just to put two up on my wall at a time because I like the look and it reminds me of how prints look when Shepard puts them up on billboards.

Stay on your toes, watch ebay like a hawk and you might get a bargain now and again. Just don't begrudge those who see the value of something and act on it. The people who are bumming right now are back collectors. This is what happens when a artist breaks out. You know that there will be plenty of awesome prints coming out down the line that you will be able to afford. Try not to get too bummed out.
henna
-

Post by henna »

DW bought a this is a poster silkscreen from me for around $90; it's on his site for $200 now. You gotta love that "defensive pricing" to thwart all those troublsome flippers. I'm glad to hear people calling it like it is.
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
Mike Panic
Giant

Post by Mike Panic »

great post robotail - as i know you are one of the older colletors going back into the 90's

let's not make this point a discussion about DW

lol. its hard not to when the thread is called new price increases at ducky waddles :twisted:

id also just like to bring up the fact that everyone bawks at the prices from ebay seller uk art prints - but i don't think any of us have bought from them...