**PETITION TO FIX OBEYGIANT.COM**

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
cybernigel
Giant

**PETITION TO FIX OBEYGIANT.COM**

Post by cybernigel »

It's been a long time since the new price increase to improve the ecommerce system and the situation remains untenable. Shep's true fans and collector community have been more than patient in waiting for a resolution. There is no excuse that the most successful urban artist today cannot offer a sound ecommerce solution; many lesser artists already doing it with similar demands on their servers. Hundreds of people have spent untold hours in frustration attempting to make purchases to support Shepard’s work. Most collectors simply do not have the time to struggle with the inept shopping cart leaving a large portion of the prints going to ebayers who have all day to negotiate the error-prone servers and flip art for a living. Fixing this will allow his fans and staff to focus on more important matters like maybe supporting the causes he champions or just being a more productive human being.

Shepard is a reasonable guy and may not be aware of just how bad it is. I feel that it is time to illustrate the magnitude of this problem by presenting to him a list of fans who are urging him to take action. Whether it is hiring the right people, outsourcing the work, or investing in a better system, this problem is entirely solvable and a readily available solution exists. All that stands between the mess we have today and a stable ecommerce site is the will of the owner.

Please join me in persuading Shepard to expedite this matter and finally provide a modern-day online shopping experience for his customers by replying below. Feel free to include any details of the difficulty you’d had or simply just indicate your support. When the list is sufficiently long I will print it off and FedEx it to him.

Thanks
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

I'd love to be optimistic but I've resigned myself to the fact that they (Obey Giant) just don't care. I think that this sh!it is done intentionally to hype the prints. So, said system is working perfectly.
password
Giant

Post by password »

The last few releases, I haven't even been able to access the site, much less get the frustrating cart errors, etc. others are fortunate enough to get.
whyhoo
itsame

Re:

Post by whyhoo »

Gigantico wrote:I'd love to be optimistic but I've resigned myself to the fact that they (Obey Giant) just don't care. I think that this sh!it is done intentionally to hype the prints. So, said system is working perfectly.
prints sell out everytime no matter what.

i worked for a company that hosts online surveys... we'd have thousands of people hitting our set up at a time... and we never missed a beat. well, we DID pay $150k+ a year for the hardware (3 application servers and 2 DB servers behind a load balancer)... and even beyond that... amazon cloud anyone? it wouldn't even flinch.
on point like a decimalist?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

I can get through sometimes, I have purchased some prints directly from Obey in the recent past. If the site was ultra smooth, I honestly think I would miss out on all of the drops, even if I did sit and watch for them non-stop, I'm a little scared to see what drops would be like if the whole process went smoothly regardless of traffic. That said, I am not a fan of the "random" drops, where they announce a day and keep people glued to the action. I like announced drops where they give the time and date (and everyone can get set up for a battle royale, then know soon after that they either got one, or didn't get one), I also like completely unannounced drops that catch people by surprise. I don't think Obey needs to hype anything anymore, haha, new stuff will sell out quickly no matter how they market or hype them up, or when or where they drop them (in my opinion).
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

Gigantico wrote:I've resigned myself to the fact that they (Obey Giant) just don't care.
spagucci1
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by spagucci1 »

fribhey wrote:
Gigantico wrote:I've resigned myself to the fact that they (Obey Giant) just don't care.
could not have been said better
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

spagucci1 wrote:
fribhey wrote:
The people administering the site may not care but I know for a fact that Shepard is concerned about it and I'm hoping to open his eyes to just how bad it is because he's been shielded from it to an extent. That's why we need people to weigh in so I can present it to him.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Shoot, if he's at the Flores show this weekend, I'm going to let him know what I think.
ObeyTheGuru
Punk

Re: **PETITION TO FIX OBEYGIANT.COM**

Post by ObeyTheGuru »

Even if Obey were to update the servers to perform at a flawless level, you will still find there are going to be flippers tossing up the latest prints on Ebay.

There is no way around this, so to be completely fair, while I agree with the sentiment of the need for an upgrade, throwing flippers into the equation is not justified.

Just my two cents..
Last edited by ObeyTheGuru on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

cybernigel wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
fribhey wrote:
The people administering the site may not care but I know for a fact that Shepard is concerned about it and I'm hoping to open his eyes to just how bad it is because he's been shielded from it to an extent. That's why we need people to weigh in so I can present it to him.
Yeah, I've heard that line before. This has gone on way too long to absolve Shepard from blame. This ultimately rests on his shoulders and it's been nothing but BS, FOR YEARS.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

I'll sign it. Very annoying to get it in your cart, get to paypal and the lose it coming back only to see someone put it on Ebay within minutes of the print selling out. Seems like fans are losing and Ebayers are winning. Didn't OBEY say they wanted it the other way around?
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
hangintough
Posse

Post by hangintough »

the system right now may suck but i believe it allows people to win some and lose some. the randomness of it crashing and letting people through is almost like a lottery. it may suck but i enjoy the thrill of the fight.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

hangintough wrote:the system right now may suck but i believe it allows people to win some and lose some. the randomness of it crashing and letting people through is almost like a lottery. it may suck but i enjoy the thrill of the fight.
This sums up how I feel, probably better than my initial post.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

Patillac13 wrote:
hangintough wrote:the system right now may suck but i believe it allows people to win some and lose some. the randomness of it crashing and letting people through is almost like a lottery. it may suck but i enjoy the thrill of the fight.
This sums up how I feel, probably better than my initial post.
Then a non crashing completely random system in that it drops at any time during the day is the most fair, as it is just that, random. No need to upgrade servers or anything.
JackMama
Giant

Post by JackMama »

I think I prefer the announced time bunfights. If they fixed it, it would be like a banksy POW release....you see it for 20 seconds and then it is gone.
This aggression will not stand.
DunDun
Giant

Re:

Post by DunDun »

spagucci1 wrote:Shoot, if he's at the Flores show this weekend, I'm going to let him know what I think.
He get's it all the time and just says, "we're working on it."
Last edited by DunDun on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Bobak »

I've been out on most recent prints simply because my connection isn't very good and its brutal to have to try and keep reloading it.
Gigantico wrote:I'd love to be optimistic but I've resigned myself to the fact that they (Obey Giant) just don't care.
Count me in on the "don't think they care" camp. They probably make fun of us.
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Bobak »

BTW: let me repeat my idea, just for yuks:
Bobak wrote:Given the massive amount of traffic that the site OG site gets on drop days, I think it would be funny if they boosted servers by having "sponsored" drops. As in: in order to get the print you have to sit through something like a Mountain Dew commercial, then you get a smooth purchase :P

"Peace Elephant, brought to you by Doritos!

You laugh, but you know you'd accept that. Even it if required you to buy a Bic Quattro or ShamWow with your order.
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

its a conspiracy...they are deciding who gets the prints, thats why it takes so long...
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
strangeloop
Swindler

Post by strangeloop »

I'll sign it.
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

cybernigel wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
fribhey wrote:
I'm betting Weston cares. And I beleive Shep does as well. I mentioned it to him at the ICA and he seemed to honestly not want to screw people over with the site. So, either he is a very good liar or being honest.

That being said, the screwed up site does benefit those who are persistent and have been around a bit. Whats ridiculous is Bansky and some other artists drops where you don't even get to see the buy now.

Just my opinion.
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brintoul
Giant

Re:

Post by brintoul »

JackMama wrote:I think I prefer the announced time bunfights. If they fixed it, it would be like a banksy POW release....you see it for 20 seconds and then it is gone.
I've never participated in one of those. How does it all go down? Do they use paypal? Is there a captcha?

Post by ritedere »

Wouldnt it make all of their lives easier if it ran smoother? Even if they dont feel sympathy for us all, I'd still think that'd make them care?

I dont know ANYTHING about what it would take to fix, but wouldn't it be as easy as for Shep to throw a lot X amount of dollars to have things upgraded? How much do "experts" assume it would cost to have things running smoothly on release days?
ritedere
Giant

Post by ritedere »

brintoul wrote:
JackMama wrote:I think I prefer the announced time bunfights. If they fixed it, it would be like a banksy POW release....you see it for 20 seconds and then it is gone.
I've never participated in one of those. How does it all go down? Do they use paypal? Is there a captcha?
First of all their carts save the prints. So if you get it in your cart you dont have to worry (well that's SUPPOSED to be how it works, but people still have issues of their prints getting "stolen" out of their carts and the like).

I've never had a problem on any banksy releases if I got it in the cart personally

They use a payment site called PROTX

But yes, the site seems to hold up with the insane amount of F5s, and generally there aren't many issues.