no more paypal for me

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by comiconart »

Solar wrote:At the very least, pop all his BINs with a secondary ebay ID and leave him 80 negs to warn others.
Now THAT is a great idea.
cybernigel
Giant

Re:

Post by cybernigel »

scud80 wrote:the ebay id is hype_collector, and his name is jing cai in new york in case you come across him elsewhere.
Are you sure his name wasn't "Cha Ching?"
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
cheap cologne
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by cheap cologne »

comiconart wrote:
Solar wrote:At the very least, pop all his BINs with a secondary ebay ID and leave him 80 negs to warn others.
Now THAT is a great idea.
Sorry to hear about your troubles.. but that idea is GREAT, that would be soo funny.
Abrogate
Giant

Re: no more paypal for me

Post by Abrogate »

:shock:
what are you planning on doing on drop days without paypal?
"the greatest form of sanity anyone can exercise is to resist the force that is trying to repress,oppress and fight down the human spirit."-Mumia Abu Jamal
DangerousBri
Swindler

Post by DangerousBri »

If this happens to you tell the buyer you are filing a police report. This is the only way you will have a chance at winning a dispute. It is a stolen item. Doesn't matter if it's $10 or $500 the only way to stop it from happening to others is for the scammers to know they can't get away with it. Let the buyer know you are filing the police report and 50% of the time they will drop the dispute with Paypal buying saying they made a mistake.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

Also very solid advice.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Scud you should file a complaint with Paypal, even if it is only $80. Ive had 2 instances where Paypal has sided with the buyer but also (after a dispute) re-imbursed me because they knew I did nothing wrong and Im a great customer. You have good feedback and are a longtime customer, i would think you would be re-imbursed.

I had an international buyer that moved to a new address, never changed the confirmed address, and filed a month after I mailed the Mr Spray print (ouch!). Anyway the print was at the PO waiting for him for 2 weeks and then disappeared (before USPS insure internationally). As he had never received it he was technically covered. After a long process I was re-imbursed for the item as it was clear that I had done nothing wrong.
I also had an international buyer say he wouldnt pay customs charges on a print and he wouldnt sign for the item unless I paid half the VAT. It was BS and the point of the matter more than anything. I called Paypal to see what my options were. The lady said it was a no-win for me and actually gave me the ransom money to pay him.

Pypal sucks and the dispute process rarely sides with the seller but if youre a high standing customer and call and speak with someone I think you'll be all set here. It's not like they havent heard of this scam before.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
speedoguy
Banana Hammock Connoisseur
Location: where the earth shakes, and its filled with high crime rates.

Post by speedoguy »

i say you buy something from him ( using a different ebay and paypal account ) and do the same scam back to him
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by jshea »

Bonesy wrote:I also had an international buyer say he wouldnt pay customs charges on a print and he wouldnt sign for the item unless I paid half the VAT. It was BS and the point of the matter more than anything. I called Paypal to see what my options were. The lady said it was a no-win for me and actually gave me the ransom money to pay him.

I'm dealing with the VAT/customs charge issue more frequently as of late. Buyers say nothing before bidding, then spring a message when they win that inevitably says either "I'm not paying all of the taxes," or "put the value of the item at $35 to avoid taxes."

In the first case, I've always taken a hard stance and refused to pay customs charges. I will cancel a deal altogether before I pay those fees. It is ridiculous for international bidders to expect otherwise, particularly when they know the seller is located in the U.S. Fortunately, this has worked, and buyers want the item enough to follow through. As for the second situation, I'm happy to put the value of the item at whatever the buyer states, but I also get documentation of the request to protect myself in case of shipping damage. If he is dumb enough to pay $1,500-2,000 for a print, but not willing to spend a bit more to ensure its protection ... that's just silly.
ChapPKP
Propaganda Engineer

Post by ChapPKP »

hOW do you block buyers on ebay?
Check Out my EBAY Auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZchappkp
byrnexxx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by byrnexxx »

http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChapPKP
Propaganda Engineer

Post by ChapPKP »

thanks
Check Out my EBAY Auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZchappkp
boerismo
Posse

Post by boerismo »

jesus christ scud!!! this is fkin terrible..i just read the story...that guy is a p.o.s
I dealt with u before i know ur trustworthy....i live in nyc ..want me to give him cement boots ?? break his legs??
tc-matt
Punk

Post by tc-matt »

yeah f*** paypal - they completely cater to the buy , I've been bent over by they a few times myself.
truthiness
Giant

Re:

Post by truthiness »

scud80 wrote:a fraud investigation wouldn't lead anywhere since a) we're talking about $80 and b) how am i supposed to definitively prove that he received the item? i'm not about to start videotaping myself packing boxes or paying a third party to do it for me. ebay's been getting consistently more buyer-centric over the past few years, and this is just sort of the last straw.

i mean, this guy has been registered for less than a year and has more negative feedback in that span than i've received in the 10 years i've been registered (1 total) and i've also been part of the "powerseller" program on-and-off. and yet, they just automatically take his side, and the reputation that i've maintained for so long doesn't mean anything anymore. i'm much angrier with ebay/paypal than him. so, it's just time to go.
I've had the very same situation and it just adds insult to injury.

I sold some concert tickets to a guy last year and he said he never got them. I even made arrangements with Ticketmaster to get him a new set of tix at will call. He left me negative feedback (my 1st in 10 years) and when I replied to the feedback, he replied back getting the last word making me look MORE shady. eBay has totally protected the buyer for reasons unknown leaving sellers with very little recourse.

Turns out I got an email from the buyer a few weeks ago saying that he just got the tickets and they'd been sitting in Arkansas for the past year and the USPS just delivered them. I actually believe the guy, but man, what a pain in the butt the whole scenario was.

I called eBay to see if I could get the negative feedback rescinded and was coldly told about their feedback policy, etc. No understanding or concern from the seller's point of view with what was a unique situation. Really tinkle poor customer service.

And let's not even get into fees.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
shawndoc
Posse

Post by shawndoc »

Same thing happens all the time with credit cards. Buyer files for a chargeback. You provide the proof you shipped the item. Credit card company rules against you anyway.
kingofprussia
Posse

Post by kingofprussia »

thanks for your story. i'll stick to selling prints on the boards i frequent. at least there is some vigilante justice on the boards if people try to pull a fast one. there is the flipside of the argument as well which happened to me. i purchased a fake/bootleg print that the seller was hocking on ebay. i ended up getting my money back which i was thankful for but I can see now how the seller can get royally scrwed.
Stone Age
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Stone Age »

scud80 wrote:the ebay id is hype_collector, and his name is jing cai in new york in case you come across him elsewhere.
Looks like Ebay gave him the axe.
s_k_y
Propaganda Engineer

Post by s_k_y »

The 'empty tube' scam is going to become a serious issue in the future. How do you combat it other than literally videotaping yourself putting the contents into the tube?

f-ing ridic!
suckafree
Swindler

Post by suckafree »

This thread has always struck a cord with me ever since I first read it. Today I was reading an article on consumerist that made me think of you,

http://consumerist.com/2012/02/how-i-lo ... buyer.html

To this day I still refuse to sell on ebay...art that is.
brintoul
Giant

Post by brintoul »

I sold a print to some chump in France offa eBay. Turns out this was a bad idea on my part.

He paid $35 for shipping which was enough to get it there in 6-8 days or something like that. I tried communicating with him about insurance, etc., but received no response. I said "Oh well, guess I'll just ship it as it stands now". Went down to the post office, filled out the customs thing and sent it on its way. I sent him 3 eBay messages during this time and received no response.

Figuring the deed was done after something like 3 weeks, I spent the $300 that I received for Nouveau Black and went on with my life. Then I got a message from eBay saying the guy claimed to never have received it and that he had tried to contact me - a complete lie. I fought it with giving some sort of number from the customs thing and was rejected. Turns out for an item over $250 you need signature confirmation for international shipping. So, I'm out a $300 print.

Pisses me off. The guy's name is Jocelyn Berthier and he lives in Paris. My advice is to stay away from this guy - or rough him up, whichever.
Giant

Post by summoner »

brintoul wrote:I sold a print to some chump in France offa eBay. Turns out this was a bad idea on my part.

He paid $35 for shipping which was enough to get it there in 6-8 days or something like that. I tried communicating with him about insurance, etc., but received no response. I said "Oh well, guess I'll just ship it as it stands now". Went down to the post office, filled out the customs thing and sent it on its way. I sent him 3 eBay messages during this time and received no response.

Figuring the deed was done after something like 3 weeks, I spent the $300 that I received for Nouveau Black and went on with my life. Then I got a message from eBay saying the guy claimed to never have received it and that he had tried to contact me - a complete lie. I fought it with giving some sort of number from the customs thing and was rejected. Turns out for an item over $250 you need signature confirmation for international shipping. So, I'm out a $300 print.

Pisses me off. The guy's name is Jocelyn Berthier and he lives in Paris. My advice is to stay away from this guy - or rough him up, whichever.
Did you send it using Express Mail? Express automatically requires a signature upon delivery and is all that I will using when sending International.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

brintoul wrote:I sold a print to some chump in France offa eBay. Turns out this was a bad idea on my part.

pretty sure that's the dude that has posted here before with his blog full of prints for sale including some invader tiled skateboard decks

edit: http://www.thestreetartblog.net/ there he is

http://thestreetartstore.blogspot.com/2 ... ition.html

looks like that post is from 2010
on point like a decimalist?
brintoul
Giant

Post by brintoul »

whyhoo wrote:
brintoul wrote:

pretty sure that's the dude that has posted here before with his blog full of prints for sale including some invader tiled skateboard decks

edit: http://www.thestreetartblog.net/ there he is

http://thestreetartstore.blogspot.com/2 ... ition.html

looks like that post is from 2010
That's the guy. I think he's on the "Banksy board" as jojo21 - I think the same handle he used on this board before he slunk away.
Giant

Post by brintoul »

summoner wrote:
brintoul wrote:
Did you send it using Express Mail? Express automatically requires a signature upon delivery and is all that I will using when sending International.
I don't think I did, not sure. Anyway, I couldn't figure out a way to get a signature from France, so I just threw up my hands - after speaking to eBay representatives twice.