Lame Cart at OG

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Lame Cart at OG

Post by MunkeyPants »

Simple fact. Buy some new software. Please.
Submit. Rapture.
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

Apparently this is way to much to ask for. As it has been an ongoing, routine proplem for the past 3 years!

Are POW, Audrey Kawasaki, and any other artist out there with a good cart system paying an exhorborent amount for a website that WORKS?
IG - ATXjeweler
password
Giant

Post by password »

Emek also sells out prints with big editions in less than a second
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

Mira263 wrote:Are POW, Audrey Kawasaki, and any other artist out there with a good cart system paying an exhorborent amount for a website that WORKS?
POW's shopping cart system is complete garbage.....

the best cart system i've seen for a site that sells things in huge demand is the one on paper monster which ties nicely into paypal and once you add a print to your cart it's yours.... none of the "i hope it doesn't sell out on my way back from paypal" nonsense
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Re:

Post by whyhoo »

fribhey wrote:
Mira263 wrote:Are POW, Audrey Kawasaki, and any other artist out there with a good cart system paying an exhorborent amount for a website that WORKS?

the best cart system i've seen for a site that sells things in huge demand is the one on paper monster which ties nicely into paypal and once you add a print to your cart it's yours.... none of the "i hope it doesn't sell out on my way back from paypal" nonsense

same thing with emek - his system is pretty slick
on point like a decimalist?
BigBp0057
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Lame Cart at OG

Post by BigBp0057 »

Yeah, coming back from paypal is stupid, I wish once you click pay in paypal you are done. Time outs while on the way back to submit order suck.
#1 ISO Visual Disobedience 04, #2 ISO Guns & Roses 18x24
Obey Prints For Sale: http://www.obeygiantprints.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Collection: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Best thing ever.If you have it in cart it's yours!! Try that OG!!!! Wasted 7 hours yesterday,only to see that the ornate set has sold out without even trying to buy them!! But hey.Its just ink on a piece of cheap paper.!!
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Very Disappointed with the initial official explanation... starting to feel more and more like Big Company...
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

fribhey wrote:

I have no problems with POW. Once you cart the print you have 20 minutes to check out. Unless it's gone downhill since Stop and Search, which was the last print I bought from them. For the amount of traffic F5ing for a month to get that print, the shop never once slowed down and provided a seamless checkout experience.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

I agree. A system where it is in your cart and it is yours would be great.
Otherwise it's like waiting in line for a store to open, putting an item in your shopping cart,
waiting in a line to check out, pulling out your wallet only to have the item taken
away from you.
E-commerce should work no differently than brick and mortar in terms of customer service.
Everything else about Obey is pretty solid though.
Last edited by PDC on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by stuckeyc37 »

QKocur wrote:Very Disappointed with the initial official explanation... starting to feel more and more like Big Company...
What would you want them to say? They didnt even say anything when the same thing happened with the peace elephant. Comes down to the fact the prints are limited, Obey's system is flawed and has been for atleast 3 years, and you win some and you lose some. Just prep for the next release, cause it probably wont be any better.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

QKocur wrote:Very Disappointed with the initial official explanation... starting to feel more and more like Big Company...
who cares.... do you want them to come over and cook you an apologetic breakfast or something? they already said they were having problems with the cart due to the amount of traffic, and do you know what was causing the traffic? every single person who refreshed every two seconds and that includes you....

so if you want a better explanation as to what happened then here's one: you, me and everyone else who kept slamming their servers with our non stop refreshing were the problem.

happy with that? now can we all stop complaining and drop this entitlement issue everyone seems to have? only about 40 were sold on the site so even with no problems the chances of you actually getting one would have still been slim to none so get over the "Big Company" attitude. i've never gotten every print i wanted and never once complained to OG about it or demanded an explanation from them as to why.
weston
Posse

Post by weston »

I know I know I know. I get a lot of garbage all the time for this, actually everyday that I see Shep! Every time there is an opening, every time that shep does something.

I had an epiphany this weekend about the cart and have done some hopefully amazing improvements to it.

I rewrote the category and detailed product pages so it doesn't pull any useless information. It went from some 200 mysql queries to just one on the product page and from 300 on the categories page to about 10. And I made the front store page a static file, when it pulled all this unnecessary data, So it went from 200 to countless php includes to a static file. I don't know why I didn't do these things earlier, sometimes you don't think outside of the box.

The checkout pages should be redone also, It is going to take me a lot longer to do that. But I will start on it and if needed get it going.
sas
Posse

Post by sas »

Thanks can't wait to see it in action
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

weston - I have no idea how this ish works but sounds like some nice improvements. Thanks for being a member of the board and for the update

100% agree with Fibhey on the sense of entitlement for answers some portray. Even with these changes Weston has made, it will still be a long shot for anyone on drops where less than 50 or so are available.
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adambad
Giant

Re:

Post by adambad »

gpt104 wrote:weston - I have no idea how this ish works but sounds like some nice improvements. Thanks for being a member of the board and for the update

100% agree with Fibhey on the sense of entitlement for answers some portray. Even with these changes Weston has made, it will still be a long shot for anyone on drops where less than 50 or so are available.

+1 on both accounts.

thanks weston. i have no idea what any of the changes you described actually mean, but dont care if it translates to a smoother transaction.

cheers
ab
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

weston wrote:I know I know I know. I get a lot of garbage all the time for this, actually everyday that I see Shep! Every time there is an opening, every time that shep does something.

I had an epiphany this weekend about the cart and have done some hopefully amazing improvements to it.

I rewrote the category and detailed product pages so it doesn't pull any useless information. It went from some 200 mysql queries to just one on the product page and from 300 on the categories page to about 10. And I made the front store page a static file, when it pulled all this unnecessary data, So it went from 200 to countless php includes to a static file. I don't know why I didn't do these things earlier, sometimes you don't think outside of the box.

The checkout pages should be redone also, It is going to take me a lot longer to do that. But I will start on it and if needed get it going.

heck yes! well done dude, that's a great place to start. not sure how much advice media temple has been throwin down other than "here, have some more servers"!
on point like a decimalist?
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

weston wrote:I know I know I know. I get a lot of garbage all the time for this, actually everyday that I see Shep! Every time there is an opening, every time that shep does something.

I hope when translated to English the above reads "relax guys, I'm working on it and things are going to get better". Thanks for the hard work. Take a new picture.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

BigBp0057 wrote:Yeah, coming back from paypal is stupid
Remember the days when no one knew who Shepard Fairy was and you could take weeks to decide to buy a print. Ah, those were the days.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

durn, man. I've been doing this so long now that I feel like the busted cart plays in my favor. Please don't fix it :cry:

:lol:
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

^^^Agreed!^^^
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

Solar wrote:
durn, man. I've been doing this so long now that I feel like the busted cart plays in my favor. Please don't fix it :cry:

:lol:
+1

It's like the Running of the Bulls and you're the bull trying to stomp all these fools to the finish line. :lol:

trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

fribhey wrote: happy with that? now can we all stop complaining and drop this entitlement issue everyone seems to have? only about 40 were sold on the site so even with no problems the chances of you actually getting one would have still been slim to none so get over the "Big Company" attitude. i've never gotten every print i wanted and never once complained to OG about it or demanded an explanation from them as to why.
I've been shut out of plenty of prints and hadn't made a big deal. I know how the game is played, as well as the odds, and this time a lot of people weren't given the chance to even play it. Long after the flood of users refreshing were over and the print was sold out, there was still something about the coding that was off that kept certain users from even viewing the item. It was a unique occurrence for a drop and I was trying to address it.

Admittedly "Big Company" was a poor choice spoken out of frustration. But what we don't need is digital bouncers rushing to rally around and defend the status quo. It was an issue and I brought it up. I apologize for that excess criticism. I wonder how you might have reacted had you not been one of the lucky few to see it when it dropped and not 45 min later.

Thanks Weston for looking into it and trying to alleviate the problem.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Thank you Weston for your response.

I've just accepted the fact that when a print drops and it's in demand....there is a good chance my money will be spent in the secondary market obtaining that print. Just comes with the territory i guess. While I think improving the cart is a great thing, there will always be someone starting a thread about how they can't get a print because gremlins in the system screwed up something.

Carry on.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

QKocur wrote:I wonder how you might have reacted had you not been one of the lucky few to see it when it dropped and not 45 min later.
i would have reacted the same as all the other times i didn't get a print i wanted and that doesn't involve crying about how life isn't fair. i would have thought, "ok that's over, i'm starving, time for lunch" and would have moved on with my life.... i don't have entitlement issues and don't stomp my feet when i'm not the kid on the block with the coolest toy. the last thing i would do would be to demand an explanation from obey as to why i didn't get what i wanted, that's just silly.

i've spent more time going for banksy prints and have even had one sniped/stolen out of my cart after having added it to my cart. i just thought it wasn't meant to be and moved on. i didn't throw a fit and demand an explanation from POW.