personally identifying information

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
whyhoo
itsame

Re: personally identifying information

Post by whyhoo »

admonkey wrote:
whyhoo wrote:
admonkey wrote:
whyhoo wrote:AM, and nixon, you both are failing to see the distinction between posting a link to an ebay auction, and posting a link to an ebay auction with a finger pointed at a forum handle.
Apparently so did you, earlier that very same day.

Our position has remained constant; yours appears to be in flux.
really? please point out where i have linked someone's forum handle to an ebay account.
I don't believe you have (though there was a "Stickboy/eBay" discussion from you a while back, which could perhaps be considered if not apples to apples, then apples to pears). But you also seemed to lack any sort of moral indignation when a forum name was linked to an eBay seller account (the "Shepard Fairey-like mural" piece) earlier in the day.
i have never linked anyone's forum handle to their ebay id. stickboy is the ebay id.

and what forum name was linked to the obey collage? if there is one in that thread, it's certainly not from me.

(THEGIANT) -> (EBAY HANDLE) -> (KNOWLEDGE OF ART COLLECTION BEYOND WHAT IS LISTED ON EBAY DUE TO INFORMATION PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT TO BE ANONYMOUS FOUND ON THEGIANT) -> (BREAK IN AT MY HOUSE AND THEFT)

again i ask, it's my personal information that is at stake... don't you want to err on the side of caution?
on point like a decimalist?
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

As I said, we sympathize with your request but we won't be taking any action on it.

In the meantime, I suggest if you are truly concerned about the information you have on file with eBay you either 1) don't sell anything, 2) close the account, 3) provide information to eBay that is not personally revealing.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

You know whyhoo I think that whole exchange was pretty lame, because whatever a person wants to do with their property is their own deal, and people should just stfu about it, but such is life.
As far as your argument here, I think it is kinda tough to say that fairly public info is really private. This is the world we live in, and pretty much anyone that you have done a transaction with on the internet has your info. I am not totally sure this is about keeping your life private man. I think you feel cr@ppy for being called out, and that is fine, but the mods seem to be in the right on this. I think they made a good call on what to remain neutral on in this case. It is just your ebay account which is search able to millions of eBay members, as opposed to your name here which is really only known by 4k+ people. We all have to pick and chose what we share on here for sure. I might be thinking of the wrong guy, but did you not share those pictures of your girlfriend for that voting thing? I mean that seems much more personal to me than your ebay account name, but to each their own.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

djsp - you're right - i did put up pictures of my girl to help her out. but she was anonymous - same for me. whether or not that anonymity has persisted is questionable :D

and again, i appreciate the help offered from the forum in that endeavor, AM especially.
whyhoo wrote: i'm the last person to come out and poodle about anyone flipping anything. Hey i'll flip with the best of em...
i'd also like to reiterate to everyone that i could not care less what anyone thinks of what i choose to do with my personal property. i have not asked for the information being discussed to be culled because i want to save face.

if someone posted a link to an ebay auction of mine and wanted to discuss it with the community, great, by all means do so. but to link that ebay auction to my forum handle is disclosing personally identifiable information without my consent.

it's cool, we can agree to disagree, just curious as to what others thought about it.

the end result of my situation with beefy is nothing. good luck to him in finding me if he wants to, and good luck to him should his frame grace my doorway. all this has done is raise a very important point about privacy in this digital age that is well worth our discussion.
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

it happens often here that people link our accounts here to ebay...done so simply to red flag another forum member so that they may be limited in there future purchases with obey..in my opinion its a personal attack and really isnt necessary...
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/go ... to_privacy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

just found out this morning that you don't have to actually win an auction to request someone's contact info, you only need to bid on an auction and then you're allowed to do so.

thank you to blazedoutbee for continuing this bullgarbage.

beefy, you are a documented liar, and you hide behind an anonymous forum handle to harass and intimidate people. if anyone is curious as to what blazed's real name is and would like to avoid dealing with lying cowards, please pm me and i will provide you with my email address so that we can have a conversation outside of this forum.