Corporate America robs street artists' ingenuity

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
submethod
Giant

Corporate America robs street artists' ingenuity

Post by submethod »

So let me get this straight. :evil:

Big brother arrests or shoots street artists for doing beautiful work on billboards while ad agencies rip off their ideas, cannibalize it and sell it off as hip or cool. I guess money does get you to own public space. So lame.

I threw this study together this morning.

I could show more bus wraps, wall snipes, taxi hub caps, but it would crash the server. :cry:

Heh.

How original.

Nice Type.
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Corporate America robs street artists' ingenuity

Post by whyhoo »

where do the clearchannel X skullphone billboards fall? :wink:
on point like a decimalist?
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

whyhoo wrote:where do the clearchannel X skullphone billboards fall? :wink:
Right, it's like a total pillaging of creativity.
Prints_of_Thieves
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Prints_of_Thieves »

corporations fcuk everything up, I say its high time we revolt!!!!
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

I think it's more than that...it's more about not giving credit where credit is due.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

I like those contrasts Submethod, thx for sharing.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Prints_of_Thieves
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Prints_of_Thieves »

submethod wrote:I think it's more than that...it's more about not giving credit where credit is due.
yes, but they (corporations) operate in a world based on competition rather than harmony or synergy unless theres something in it for them. To the, giving credit wold be acknowledging your using someone else's work and therefore owe them restitution. For them, if is not copyrighted in black and white its fair game. They do things and milk it dry, robbing it of its original meaning. They understand people think street art is "cool" so they use street art to get their own message across, which usually targets their demographic, similar to mcdonalds commercials and their use of slang and urban language to target young urban people. the only thing is the garbage they put out isnt art, its advertising. Its advertising that is an attempt to reach their demographic. kind of like that loser kid who really wants to fit in with any certain crowd so he starts dressing, speaking, acting like the desired crowd he wants to join in an effort to gain their friendship, these corporations are that kid and they want our trust, they want to show people that their "cool" enough to hang out with "us" on the street.
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

Im no expert in the field, but I think that paid advertising needs to be relevant to the demographic its targeting or it wont be effective, and right now street art is relevant to an important consumer demographic that spends lots of money. SO to me it would be a shock if advertisers did not adopt the street art style.

Advertisers that really understand this well often go beyond simply giving credit to the originators of the culturally relevant currency by commissioning or paying the originators. Examples such as Adidas, Scion, Pepsi etc..