John and Yoko print arrived today-Good Old UPS

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
haywood
Swindler

John and Yoko print arrived today-Good Old UPS

Post by haywood »

I received my John and Yoko Canvas Print alittle while ago. The tube was smashed in several places, the white covers damaged, and it looked like a screwdriver was stabbed into it. The one print I didn't want damaged! It appears by some miracle that the print wasn't damaged? I'm letting the print flatten and then I will check it . With the amount of business that Obey Giant does with UPS, I would think UPS could label Obey packages-DO NOT DESTROY!!! CONDITION SENSITIVE CONTENTS!!!!!! I plan on contacting UPS and sending them photos of the tube. I didn't try to score a Mr. Spray today because I didn't want to take a chance with UPS. Well that's my rant! Thanks!
truthiness
Giant

Re: John and Yoko print arrived today-Good Old UPS

Post by truthiness »

same here. Thought my UPS driver was upset he didn't get the print! lol My print has some major creases in it, though.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Just curious if all you guys tip your UPS guy at x-mas.

I'm betting the bulk of the damage gets done right after they pick up from OG. OG sends the tubes out in boxes and they probably just upend dump the boxes onto the sorting conveyer one after another. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, it's a jam. After an employee climbs up into the pile (crushing tubes in the process) they bang a few around in sheer annoyance at having to fix the system.
Submit. Rapture.
thentherewasone
Giant

Post by thentherewasone »

MunkeyPants wrote:Just curious if all you guys tip your UPS guy at x-mas.

I'm betting the bulk of the damage gets done right after they pick up from OG. OG sends the tubes out in boxes and they probably just upend dump the boxes onto the sorting conveyer one after another. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, it's a jam. After an employee climbs up into the pile (crushing tubes in the process) they bang a few around in sheer annoyance at having to fix the system.
Chances are that if its anything like the PO they get tossed into a plane or a truck in bins then those bins are resorted into other bins at a sorting place, then they get sorted again as they go to the individual trucks. At that point your tube has probably ended up underneath 20-30 bigger boxes and you are lucky to have something undamaged. You'd be amazed at how many tubes I see with one plastic end cover off and nothing in them
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

thentherewasone wrote:
MunkeyPants wrote:Just curious if all you guys tip your UPS guy at x-mas.

Chances are that if its anything like the PO they get tossed into a plane or a truck in bins then those bins are resorted into other bins at a sorting place, then they get sorted again as they go to the individual trucks. At that point your tube has probably ended up underneath 20-30 bigger boxes and you are lucky to have something undamaged. You'd be amazed at how many tubes I see with one plastic end cover off and nothing in them
I agree. The guy who is delivering it (or picking it up) is not the one crushing the tubes. You also have to remember that damaged tubes that happen at UPS also often get re-taped, their way of applying a band aid. the last thing the driver has time to do is to damage packages he/she has to deliver to you in person and then tape them back up again. You also have to remember that UPS drivers are salary and facility sorters and truck packers are most likely hourly wage. I know for a fact that the drivers are always under review, are driver was being reviewed because he was too friendly with the customers. They don't want to lose their jobs over damaging a package for not getting an Xmas tip... Hourly workers who throw boxes back and forth don't care.
RiotAct
Swindler

Post by RiotAct »

fribhey wrote:I know for a fact that the drivers are always under review, are driver was being reviewed because he was too friendly with the customers.
oooh, please elaborate :twisted:
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

RiotAct wrote:
fribhey wrote:I know for a fact that the drivers are always under review, are driver was being reviewed because he was too friendly with the customers.
oooh, please elaborate :twisted:
My driver told me that they are always being reviewed, how long it takes them, number of complaints, etc etc... And for some reason I guess his bosses didn't like the fact he was friendly to all the businesses on his route. I think that's a good thing. Every time he comes with a tube he walks in and says "this must be for John". And the one time he delivered a damaged tube he felt really bad and told me that's how it was put onto his truck and waited for me to open it to make sure it was fine. Other drivers just drop and run and don't want to be around when you open a damaged package. He's someone I'd want working for me.
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

Am I the only one who thinks that Obey bares a huge part of the blame with the tubes they use?
"I make my own luck."
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

danklax5 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Obey bares a huge part of the blame with the tubes they use?

10 years of buying prints and i have had exactly 2 damaged. The very first print I ordered back in 2000 and then once again in 07. I think its a pretty rare problem considering the amount of shipped prints.
IG - ATXjeweler
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

I've never received a damaged print. The only one I ever had to send back was actually because there were pencil lines all over the back of the print. It was weird. While it sucks, they do make it super easy to exchange prints, which is nice.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
RiotAct
Swindler

Post by RiotAct »

Mira263 wrote:
danklax5 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Obey bares a huge part of the blame with the tubes they use?

10 years of buying prints and i have had exactly 2 damaged. The very first print I ordered back in 2000 and then once again in 07. I think its a pretty rare problem considering the amount of shipped prints.
wow that's pretty darn impressive... out of the whopping 3 I've bought directly from Obey (These Parties, Glass Houses, and John/Yoko), I've also had 2 damaged tubes.

Luckily, the print survived both times.