Art Asylum Boston: Fakes, Theft and Sketchy Things

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
rhombus_77
Giant

Re: Obey-Confirmed Fake: BEWARE (Was: Questionable)

Post by rhombus_77 »

mention
Propaganda Engineer

Post by mention »

rhombus_77 wrote:

It is legit.
Yeah, I just put it up here because this is where it was discussed... :?
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

mention wrote:
rhombus_77 wrote:

It is legit.
I didn't see the previous posts. De nada.
montanainc
Punk

Post by montanainc »

rhombus_77 wrote:
mention wrote:
rhombus_77 wrote:

It is legit.
I didn't see the previous posts. De nada.
Strange this is the 3rd time that seller has had this print listed.... 1st one I missed out on, 2nd one I won ( see his feedback ) and now this the 3rd one... all with the same pics
Also on the second auction I won he claimed that it was his last copy....
JVB
Giant

Re:

Post by JVB »

spagucci1 wrote:I'm just glad that I got what I paid for. All dealings with Artasylumboston were positive, and having nothing but good words about this individual. This is whom I bought an ICA Box set from for $350. I dealt with a Jason from Artasylum, but it was not Jason Zenga. I also made my first payment for the ebay auction to a Dorrine Zenga. Then made my payment to the Jason i have dealt with in the past. It seems like there is crew using the Artasylum name, and some of them are giving it a bad name. Like I said before, my dealings with Artasylum have been positive, so I dont want to give this guy a bad name.
Hope you enjoy your box set. I had a deal in place with him (as well as another registered user) before the opening and before he picked it up. When he returned, however, he pulled out. I can only assume it was to wait for prices to jack up and make more money.
"Barbarians in fur coats are still barbarians."
-Shepard

My Collection

Collection on EB

Disclaimer: I don't edit my collections on here anymore. I prefer to be mysterious. Kind of like that burning sensation... Which one gifted me that?
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

I knew this "art asylum" dude was bad news. First thing, never heard of him or the "gallery" before the ICA event. Second, when he claimed to have purchased (and received) this set of prints: http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php ... a&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'd stay away...
roc99
Swindler

Post by roc99 »

Not to add one more thing months later but I was in contact with this guy over the sale of an Obama Progress and he just stopped responding to my emails. I called the number he gave me and he gave me a story about an illness and that he would send the first payment asap. Never heard anything again. Guy was obviously bad news.
theBrain
Giant

Post by theBrain »

roc99 wrote:Not to add one more thing months later but I was in contact with this guy over the sale of an Obama Progress and he just stopped responding to my emails. I called the number he gave me and he gave me a story about an illness and that he would send the first payment asap. Never heard anything again. Guy was obviously bad news.
well, he is no longer a forum member, so there shouldn't be much to worry about now.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

No longer a forum member, but he does have a new eBay ID. One ID gets a bad rep so it gets shut down and a new one opens up. That's never auspicious.

http://myworld.ebay.com/caligraffiti09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As always, caveat emptor.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
theBrain
Giant

Re:

Post by theBrain »

admonkey wrote:No longer a forum member, but he does have a new eBay ID. One ID gets a bad rep so it gets shut down and a new one opens up. That's never auspicious.

http://myworld.ebay.com/caligraffiti09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how did you find that out?
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

The Monkey sees all.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
creestofer
Propaganda Engineer

Post by creestofer »

i want what he's on. DMT perhaps
it seems to me that to call an achieved work 'good art' and an unachieved work 'bad art,' is like calling one color 'good red' and another 'bad red' when the second one is green.
juice
Punk

Re:

Post by juice »

admonkey wrote:No longer a forum member, but he does have a new eBay ID. One ID gets a bad rep so it gets shut down and a new one opens up. That's never auspicious.

what really bothers me is this guy somehow manages to make exclusives with artists I actually want to purchase from. The new prefab print for example. I've already put in my pre-order and was told it would be 3 weeks or so till it ships.. i'm really hoping that it just shows up and comes through nicely and I can move on.. any other print and I would have passed due to all of this drama.. anyone else take the plunge?
bliss
Punk

Post by bliss »

I went ahead and purchased one as well, as a fan of Prefab I really love this piece and I am looking forward to framing this one. As far as Art Asylum Goes I would not worry about your purchase, I have dealt with them before and have received the utmost in customer service and a shipping job that was second to none.

It also seems like they have quite a lineup this year for exclsuive releases and that includes a lot of heavy hitters. I think some of the information posted about them was not completely true as a lot of artist have spoken out on there behalf and they have been involved in a lot of major collaborations this year. Most of the drama started on this board and has pretty much died off every where else with the exception of a few members who seem a little to persistent and overzealous. I will post pics once I receive my print and let everyone know if there are any problems.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

bliss wrote:Most of the drama started on this board
The drama started when, using a blind account, Art Asylum Boston tried selling a "retired stencil" that was confirmed, directly from Obey Giant Art, Inc., to be a fake.

Fact. End of story.

And here's another fact: my favorite part, and this is awesome, is how someone at your exact IP address/location is also editing the "Jason Zenga" (HA!) Wikipedia page (which of course you wrote).

Really, Jason. Now you're just coming off as a sociopath-- and an utter fraud, leaving abandoned and misused accounts wherever you go-- as soon as they're uncovered, of course.

See ya.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Art Asylum Boston Sketchiness Thread

Post by conartstudio »

figured i'd give everyone a heads up about this facebook post by KAWS i came across today (file this under the same category of the other person who shall not be named):
KAWS has NO ASSOCIATION with Art Asylum Boston.

If you have been sold KAWS items from this store and believe you have been deceived please send an email to kaws.aab@gmail.com

I am in no way stating to be able to resolve your claim with AAB but ask that you send an email so that we can better understand the scope of this situation.
in the responses to that post someone posted this link about Art Asylum selling, but not delivering, KAWS stuff and keeping the money:
Art Asylum Boston Rips Off Everlast From House Of Pain
http://www.postersandprintsblog.com/pos ... -pain.html

which is basically a reblog from this:
ART ASYLUM BOSTON TANGLES WITH GRAMMY AWARD WINNING RAPPER
http://collectingstreetandgraffitiart.b ... rammy.html

EDIT: there's also a 19+ page thread over at kidrobot about this but i'm too lazy to go through it all but it seems a lot of people got scammed:
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=450
destroyeric
Giant

Please be careful people when dealing with Art Asylum Boston

Post by destroyeric »

Saw Handiedan post this on FB (delete please if it's already been posted, sorry)

HANDIEDAN: "Please be careful people when dealing with Art Asylum Boston."

http://www.thelifevicarious.com/the_lif ... oston.html
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Re: Please be careful people when dealing with Art Asylum Bo

Post by Gigantico »

destroyeric wrote:Saw Handiedan post this on FB (delete please if it's already been posted, sorry)

"little b!tch nerd." :lol:
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

Gigantico wrote:
destroyeric wrote:Saw Handiedan post this on FB (delete please if it's already been posted, sorry)

"little b!tch nerd." :lol:
yeah Everlast's comment is classic!

Here's the original link Handiedan had posted, seems like she went though some sh!t with Art Asylum Boston: http://collectingstreetandgraffitiart.blogspot.com/
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

haha, oh well, just saw the newer claims coming out now, as much as i hang out on here, I hardly go into World Influence.
blazedoutbee
Propaganda Engineer

Post by blazedoutbee »

I warned people months ago about this clown as it took eight months to get a print from him, sorry to all who got burned! I hope everyone gets their money back and this guy goes to jail....
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

blazedoutbee wrote:I warned people months ago about this clown as it took eight months to get a print from him, sorry to all who got burned! I hope everyone gets their money back and this guy goes to jail....
he's been sketchy here for a very long time. he's been banned and has tried multiple times to set up new accounts only to be caught and shut down again - which i think lead to a permanent ban. i remember people complaining about him when joshua budich sold one of his prints through him (joshua had no idea the sketchiness of this guy), i think that was about a year or so ago.

it continues to amaze me that people think they can continue to scam relatively tight knit online communities.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

destroyeric wrote:
haha, oh well, just saw the newer claims coming out now, as much as i hang out on here, I hardly go into World Influence.
your thread title is better. maybe the mods can merge the two threads.