Please Help with your Ebay Expertise on Bad Purchases!

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
swellstylez
Posse

Please Help with your Ebay Expertise on Bad Purchases!

Post by swellstylez »

Just bought a pair of Pioneer HDJ 1000's headphones through Ebay. I purchased them 8 days ago. I left positive feedback 5 days ago because they were as advertised. Today - day 8 - the right side of the headphone became distorted and now I have no sound at all on the right side. I talked to Pioneer and they will not honor a one year warranty without a an original receipt. Ebay seller will not take them back because I had 3 days to return and they can not produce a receipt for me to give to Pioneer. He said that I could have broke them within that time period. Please help.

Am I screwed?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Please Help with your Ebay Expertise on Bad Purchases!

Post by conartstudio »

swellstylez wrote:Just bought a pair of Pioneer HDJ 1000's headphones through Ebay. I purchased them 8 days ago. I left positive feedback 5 days ago because they were as advertised. Today - day 8 - the right side of the headphone became distorted and now I have no sound at all on the right side. I talked to Pioneer and they will not honor a one year warranty without a an original receipt. Ebay seller will not take them back because I had 3 days to return and they can not produce a receipt for me to give to Pioneer. He said that I could have broke them within that time period. Please help.

Am I screwed?
fill a complaint with ebay/paypal. buyer has 45 days to fill a complaint and to return an item
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

I just filed a complaint with PayPal and I noticed that he hasn't left me back feedback. Will Ebay help me out if he writes negative feedback. I have never had a bad experience until now.
My Obey Collection: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

eBay no longer gives sellers the option to leave negative feedback for buyers.

One of the many, many things that eBay has done to alienate sellers over the past five years...but good for you in this situation.
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

So this has been since 1/27/11. All I had to do was send the item back to the seller and when they knew he had conformation, Paypal refunded me the whole amount.

Here is my next question. Did the seller have to give all my money back or is this from Paypal? And if it was from the seller, he seemed pretty clear that he was not responsible, hence I don't see him just refunding all my money.

Glad it worked out though.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

Once you file a claim, PP freezes the full transaction amount until the case is resolved. In this case, they found in your favor, and so they returned your full payment.

On another note...I had a recent situation with Paypal where I sent an item to Canada via regular air mail...without tracking. Turns out this guy was waiting for packages to arrive, then opening "item not received" claims on every package that arrived without tracking. He opened at least 12 claims in the month of January alone...against a number of different eBay sellers, all with impeccable feedback ratings. And despite this clear case of blatant fraud, PP could not be bothered to protect the sellers. I had proof of shipping in the way of a customs form, but the only thing they care about is the proof of delivery. I sell 1000's of items each year on eBay, and I can count the number of legitimately lost/damaged packages I have had over the last 5 years on one hand. And here we have a buyer with a feedback rating of less than 100...who claims to have not received at least a dozen packages in one calendar month...and PP does NOTHING. Even better...a bunch of sellers left this guy positive feedback (since this is the only option) warning other sellers of this activity...and eBay removed all of the feedback comments.

Just keep in mind that eBay and Paypal don't give a d@mn about any of their customers whatsoever. Good tip for the future. And...always require tracking...period. I don't care if it requires a more expensive shipping option for my customers...tracking is now ALWAYS REQUIRED.

I hate eBay. I hate Paypal. Too bad they remain a necessary evil for most small business owners that operate on the web.
ritedere
Giant

Post by ritedere »

comiconart wrote:Once you file a claim, PP freezes the full transaction amount until the case is resolved. In this case, they found in your favor, and so they returned your full payment.

On another note...I had a recent situation with Paypal where I sent an item to Canada via regular air mail...without tracking. Turns out this guy was waiting for packages to arrive, then opening "item not received" claims on every package that arrived without tracking. He opened at least 12 claims in the month of January alone...against a number of different eBay sellers, all with impeccable feedback ratings. And despite this clear case of blatant fraud, PP could not be bothered to protect the sellers. I had proof of shipping in the way of a customs form, but the only thing they care about is the proof of delivery. I sell 1000's of items each year on eBay, and I can count the number of legitimately lost/damaged packages I have had over the last 5 years on one hand. And here we have a buyer with a feedback rating of less than 100...who claims to have not received at least a dozen packages in one calendar month...and PP does NOTHING. Even better...a bunch of sellers left this guy positive feedback (since this is the only option) warning other sellers of this activity...and eBay removed all of the feedback comments.

Just keep in mind that eBay and Paypal don't give a d@mn about any of their customers whatsoever. Good tip for the future. And...always require tracking...period. I don't care if it requires a more expensive shipping option for my customers...tracking is now ALWAYS REQUIRED.

I hate eBay. I hate Paypal. Too bad they remain a necessary evil for most small business owners that operate on the web.
Please share his username. Would like to add him to my blocked list.

Thanks
ROBTWIN666
Swindler

Post by ROBTWIN666 »

Hopefully this isn't going to give canadians a bad name around here. I have had hundreds of successful shipments from the US to Canada. I don't think I've ever had one not show up. It's a pretty weak scam, sorry to hear about that comiconart.
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

He currently has two IDs that I know of...gcmd83 and toronto_collectibles11

The scam is definitely weak...but it's even worse that it's so obvious and eBay and Paypal won't do anything about it. He gets away with this behavior because they enable him to do so. Might as well give him an encouraging pat on the back while they are at it.
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

comiconart - I am sorry for what you have been through. And ROBTWIN666, Canada is still great in my book, Aaaaaa! 8)

Can anyone still answer this question as I just want to know how this is handled:
"Did the seller have to give all my money back or is this from Paypal? And if it was from the seller, he seemed pretty clear that he was not responsible, hence I don't see him just refunding all my money." Or does Paypal pay?
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

Thought I already answered this.

Paypal froze the funds in his account when the dispute was opened. Then, when they found the case in your favor, the funds were released to you against the seller's will.
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

comiconart wrote:Thought I already answered this.

Paypal froze the funds in his account when the dispute was opened. Then, when they found the case in your favor, the funds were released to you against the seller's will.

Sorry - you did say this. It happened 8 days after so I thought that the seller would have taken their money prior to me filing a claim. I am just curious to how this all works as I have never gone thought it.
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

swellstylez wrote:

Sorry - you did say this. It happened 8 days after so I thought that the seller would have taken their money prior to me filing a claim. I am just curious to how this all works as I have never gone thought it.
I just went through this as a seller. PayPal yanks the money out as soon as the claim is filed whether you have money in there or not. If you don't you are in the red with PayPal and they will get their money somehow. With mine, i had to actually prove over and over again that the person did indeed receive their package (four calls each to paypal and ebay, each about 20-30 mins). I had an email from the buyer stating he received the print, everything was good, and he was very pleased. Paypal still ruled in his favor and gave him a refund. It was a nightmare trying to get ebay and paypal to come to terms with them making the error, even with that email. It took two weeks, but I finally got my money back.

I really hate using either service now.
IG - ATXjeweler
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

Mira263 wrote:
swellstylez wrote:

I just went through this as a seller. PayPal yanks the money out as soon as the claim is filed whether you have money in there or not. If you don't you are in the red with PayPal and they will get their money somehow. With mine, i had to actually prove over and over again that the person did indeed receive their package (four calls each to paypal and ebay, each about 20-30 mins). I had an email from the buyer stating he received the print, everything was good, and he was very pleased. Paypal still ruled in his favor and gave him a refund. It was a nightmare trying to get ebay and paypal to come to terms with them making the error, even with that email. It took two weeks, but I finally got my money back.

I really hate using either service now.

Mira - thanks for the explanation. It is a shame when people take advantage of the system or you have to go through such lengths to prove your side. Sorry you had to deal with a bad situation, but it looks like it was in your favor in the end.