Ebay Buyers with Zero feedback

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
rlbchef
Giant

Ebay Buyers with Zero feedback

Post by rlbchef »

Not too good at the whole ebay selling thing. listed an item and there is a buyer with zero feedback, no buys or sales and account was opened only last month. Anyone know if cancelling their bid would warrant some kind of action from buyer/ebay? I did send an email askng them to cancel, but have yet to hear back.
any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
alngtheway
Punk

Re: Ebay Buyers with Zero feedback

Post by alngtheway »

no offense, and maybe i am being naive here but why the automatic mistrust of someone with zero feedback? i mean, people have to start somewhere don't they? worst case, if they win the auction and don't pay, you offer it to the second highest bidder...

kinda like with the current economy, as jobs are becoming available, people are only looking for those with experience since there are so many unemployed available. kinda makes it hard for the recent graduate to find anything, dont it?
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

alngtheway wrote:no offense, and maybe i am being naive here but why the automatic mistrust of someone with zero feedback? i mean, people have to start somewhere don't they? worst case, if they win the auction and don't pay, you offer it to the second highest bidder...

kinda like with the current economy, as jobs are becoming available, people are only looking for those with experience since there are so many unemployed available. kinda makes it hard for the recent graduate to find anything, dont it?
why not return email questions about where they are located and if they have a paypal account? second highest bidder could always say no thanks
Last edited by rlbchef on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
alngtheway
Punk

Post by alngtheway »

rlbchef wrote:
alngtheway wrote:no offense, and maybe i am being naive here but why the automatic mistrust of someone with zero feedback? i mean, people have to start somewhere don't they? worst case, if they win the auction and don't pay, you offer it to the second highest bidder...

why not return email questions about where they are located and if they have a paypal account? second highest bidder could always so no thanks

fair enough. missed the part in the original post about you having contacted them. again, no offense meant, ive just seen many people comment on being wary of people with no feedback, and i was trying to understand the rationale.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

when listing an item, can't you set it to not accept bids from accounts with zero feedback?
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

fribhey wrote:when listing an item, can't you set it to not accept bids from accounts with zero feedback?
yeah, just found that option. not up to speed on all th rules/settings. i mostly just buy.
but wanted to know if you are allowed to remove bids without buyer going crazy.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

rlbchef wrote:
fribhey wrote:when listing an item, can't you set it to not accept bids from accounts with zero feedback?
yeah, just found that option. not up to speed on all th rules/settings. i mostly just buy.
but wanted to know if you are allowed to remove bids without buyer going crazy.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html

Canceling bids
In general, sellers shouldn’t cancel bids on their listings. However, there are a few legitimate reasons for doing so:
  • • A bidder contacts you to back out of the bid.
    • You cannot verify the identity of the bidder after trying all reasonable means of contact.
    • You end your listing early.
Note: Bids cannot be reinstated after they've been canceled.

To cancel a bid:
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

thanks for the info frib
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

I actually hate that and think its unfair. I'm a buyer on ebay with very little feedback as I've only ever bought half a dozen things on the bay, but when I go to bid on something I can be rejected by sellers because of it. Just turns me off from doing business on ebay further. Lame city IMO
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

I've sold many things to buyers with zero feedback and never had a problem.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

rlbchef wrote:thanks for the info frib
if you cancel their bid make sure you add them to your block list as mentioned in that link i provided. this will keep them from bidding again (unless ebay's system is set up to block bidders after they've had a bid cancelled)
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Having been a buyer and seller with very little feedback, eleven to date, it is hard. However, i also understand the concern. Instead of automatically canceling a bid, perhaps email asking about their interest and paypal, etc. If, at that point you hear nothing back or it seems shady, cancel the bid. I completely understand the concern though.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

yeah had asked them a few questions, but have heard nothing. the thing is that my auction was ending soon and didnt want to seem that i or someone was shilling the item.

I dont mind selling to someone with only a few buys, its the no feedback/history and then no replies that give me caution

thanks for all the feedback guys