Weird Damage Question/Rant

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
rowland
Punk

Weird Damage Question/Rant

Post by rowland »

Hi. I am a long time lurker on EB and just stumbled on thegiant. I figured you were the best folks to ask this question to. I received a replacement Bayshore Billboard print from Obey and it too came damaged. I was told by customer service that they "do not ship damaged prints" and basically my only option was refund or keep it. I will probably keep it because damaged is better than buying it from a flipper but I was just wondering if anyone had ever received something from Obey that came damaged but in a pristine tube. I am not sure how the damage would have happened in transit. What really throws me off is that it looks like ink smudged somewhere along the line and I am just not sure how that would happen when the ink is dry - I am not an expert though. I guess this is a combination rant and questions. Here is a picture of the damage

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Weird Damage Question/Rant

Post by conartstudio »

rowland wrote:Image
was the replacement an AP? the damage on that print looks like it's either an imperfection in the paper or happened prior to being printed because the ink ran into the wrinkles. i would think a print like that would be a part of the APs.
rowland
Punk

Post by rowland »

It is an AP. Are AP's sometimes pulled and marked AP because of imperfections like this? If so I didn't know that.
oldfartatplay
Swindler

Post by oldfartatplay »

rowland wrote:It is an AP. Are AP's sometimes pulled and marked AP because of imperfections like this? If so I didn't know that.
No, AP are not typically pulled because of imperfections.
Did you sent this picture to OBEY?
They should replace it or refund you IMO.
rowland
Punk

Post by rowland »

I did send the picture to Obey. I was told my only options were refund or to keep it since they are out of replacement prints. What I was offended by was being told that they "don't ship damaged prints". It made it seem like it was some how my fault that it is damaged. Maybe they are trying to pass the buck onto UPS?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

rowland wrote:I did send the picture to Obey. I was told my only options were refund or to keep it since they are out of replacement prints. What I was offended by was being told that they "don't ship damaged prints". It made it seem like it was some how my fault that it is damaged. Maybe they are trying to pass the buck onto UPS?
I totally agree with fribhey about the ink seeping into the wrinkles, it definitely looks like that paper was crinkled before they printed onto it. Bummer about your options from here on out. Will that corner bug you when you every time you see it? I have had APs that have sparsely inked areas as well as discoloration within the inked areas... I haven't noticed damaged paper on Obey APs at all yet.

My opinion about the next step (given your options), if you end up not wanting it, you should be able to sell it for around cost as is, I would imagine. It'd be a bummer to return it, then regret it. Maybe keep it and see how you feel about it down the road a bit?
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!