Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (NO.)

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
justin
Giant

Re: Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (

Post by justin »

The EB thread is quite the read.
Despinetta
Posse

Post by Despinetta »

MUZZY wrote:Yeah...that guy really has a problem with you and your PG on metal.

PG envy.
"Someday my prints will come....." - Blanca, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

I really like how they are all 100% convinced they are getting a metal
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

How were so many "art experts" soo quick to throw money at some random dude named P. Casso????
"I make my own luck."
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

You don't often see P.Casso's for this cheap.
Who's got my old stickers?
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

That thread sums up the stereotype of ebeaners...Completely misinformed "art experts" that think they know everything about every artist(when it's almost the exact opposite). Par for the course, but I will admit I couldn't stop reading the thread.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
Revolution
Swindler

Post by Revolution »

summoner wrote:
Despinetta wrote:As long as he never explicitly told you not to, sounds ok.
Since we are making up our own rules, I say the cutt off for him to tell me no to has passed... I need to try this with some other things as well... Like the Ferrari dealership down the street!
You must live in a richy rich neighborhood! Lol
aust449
Swindler

Re: Are these authorized?

Post by aust449 »

cybernigel wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:Officially bootlegs. Per the seller:

Petecasso wrote:Shepard never said I could sell them, never said I couldn't, never got back to me in any way.
Nobody ever explicitly told me that I couldn't break into their house and steal their jewelry so I figured it was cool.
I've cancelled my order, but the situation still sounds to me less like an intentional IP theft and more like the guy did some test prints, asked obey about them, never heard back and decided (wisely or not) to unload them...after waiting several years. So it's not like not like he broke into someone else shop, stole them and is unloading them under the table. It sounds more like a genuine mistake where he looked around at a bunch of inventory he really had no use for, and decided to have a garage sale, including a bunch of other junk test pieces no one is talking about. He clearly didn't even put enough thought in to spell the artist's name right. Then he was hit with a sh*tstorm of rabid fans and handled the mess very poorly, especially for someone who claims 25 years in the art business. So I don't think he acted maliciously, just carelessly
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

Not to mention that comparing prices of his normal work, these really were garage sale prices.
Gavatron
Punk

Post by Gavatron »

yup, highly likely he thought he was on to a winner making these up. Made a load of them then they never got used, by the sounds of it blown off by obey and now wants his cash back. Thought he'd get away with flogging them years later and hoped nobody would notice.

Welcome to the internet....
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

I agree with you 100%; I think this artist had some test peices sitting in his garage for two years and was just trying to raise a few dollars. Clearly he wasn't aware of the coming sh!t storm. Everyone needs to remember that being an artist doesn't make you a good business person; my sister is very talented sculptor and potter, but can't balance a check book. If he doesn't make it right, by all means crucify him. But it appears as if he is willing and able to the right thing so far.
aust449 wrote: I've cancelled my order, but the situation still sounds to me less like an intentional IP theft and more like the guy did some test prints, asked obey about them, never heard back and decided (wisely or not) to unload them...after waiting several years. So it's not like not like he broke into someone else shop, stole them and is unloading them under the table. It sounds more like a genuine mistake where he looked around at a bunch of inventory he really had no use for, and decided to have a garage sale, including a bunch of other junk test pieces no one is talking about. He clearly didn't even put enough thought in to spell the artist's name right. Then he was hit with a sh*tstorm of rabid fans and handled the mess very poorly, especially for someone who claims 25 years in the art business. So I don't think he acted maliciously, just carelessly
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

aust449 wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:Officially bootlegs. Per the seller:

Petecasso wrote:Shepard never said I could sell them, never said I couldn't, never got back to me in any way.
Nobody ever explicitly told me that I couldn't break into their house and steal their jewelry so I figured it was cool.
I've cancelled my order, but the situation still sounds to me less like an intentional IP theft and more like the guy did some test prints, asked obey about them, never heard back and decided (wisely or not) to unload them...after waiting several years. So it's not like not like he broke into someone else shop, stole them and is unloading them under the table. It sounds more like a genuine mistake where he looked around at a bunch of inventory he really had no use for, and decided to have a garage sale, including a bunch of other junk test pieces no one is talking about. He clearly didn't even put enough thought in to spell the artist's name right. Then he was hit with a sh*tstorm of rabid fans and handled the mess very poorly, especially for someone who claims 25 years in the art business. So I don't think he acted maliciously, just carelessly
He deliberately misrepresented their legitimacy. Here's the offense:

"Shepard sent me the art work, so yes they are authorized." -Peter Kellett @ anographics
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

cybernigel wrote:He deliberately misrepresented their legitimacy. Here's the offense:

"Shepard sent me the art work, so yes they are authorized." -Peter Kellett @ anographics
potAto/potato (doesn't work so well online)

authorized to be produced = yes
authorized to be sold = verdict still out.

I purchased one knowing full well that it was too good to be true. We all know now that these are backdoor/test prints.

Do I care? Not one little bit. Do I consider it a true fine art piece? No way.

$250 is a steal, and this isn't some ripoff from China.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

A steal? I get that people like the artwork. But if you are unwilling to shell out for any of the half-dozen authentic versions (Gold, Red, Maroon, Multi etc), why not just make your own? It'll be worth as much.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

therivler1 wrote:
cybernigel wrote:He deliberately misrepresented their legitimacy. Here's the offense:

potAto/potato (doesn't work so well online)

authorized to be produced = yes
authorized to be sold = verdict still out.

I purchased one knowing full well that it was too good to be true. We all know now that these are backdoor/test prints.

Do I care? Not one little bit. Do I consider it a true fine art piece? No way.

$250 is a steal, and this isn't some ripoff from China.
The educated know it's not a rip off from China. The truth is that these are a bootleg from the USA from a guy who calls himself P. Casso.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

therivler1 wrote:authorized to be sold = verdict still out.
You don't think Omethod put this to rest?
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

The best thing to come out of the ebeans thread is this.
Who's got my old stickers?
TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Post by TheOmethod »

cybernigel wrote:

I was really hoping that I would wake up and the topic would have moved on!
therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

re:p casso. that is his handle. do we really want to start dissecting everyones username?

re: making my own. seriously? i dont have the skills, materials, time, workspace and everything else that goes into production.

re price: find me a framed editioned one for 250, and i will gladly buy it. not only is this cooler/different (IMO), bu it is wall ready, which saves framing costs.

re:authorized to sell. no, i dont think this has been settled. omethod's responses have been somewhat cryptic. this may not be high on shep's priority list, and is probably a contractual grey area. with shep's recent legal issues, he might be hesitant to push this too much.

with all the crepe that we spend money on with this hobby, yes 250 is a steal.
therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

TheOmethod wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

1 - Was Shep involved in the initial production?
2 - What was supposed to happen to them after Shep decided he didn't want to move forward?
3 - Why is the sale allowed to go forth? Or, why will it be stopped?
4 - If you can't answer these currently, is the delay due to getting a hold of Shep, researching contracts, something else??
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

therivler1 wrote:
TheOmethod wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

2 - What was supposed to happen to them after Shep decided he didn't want to move forward?
4 - If you can't answer these currently, is the delay due to getting a hold of Shep, researching contracts, something else??
answer to #4: http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php ... 30#p374330
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

therivler1 wrote: 1 - Was Shep involved in the initial production?
TheOmethod wrote:I am sorry guys, but I have been out of the office, and Shepard has been out of the country. While this is an important matter, we have had bigger matters that have taken priority with the little time that we have had to communicate.

I do not want to write anything until I have all the facts. This crowd picks apart every word that I write and some are quick to call me out if something changes. Since a persons reputation is on the line, I feel it is only responsible to comment once all the facts are known.

You are all smart people, and have pretty much come to the same conclusion that I have.
Last edited by spagucci1 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

thanks, must have missed that.

But unfortunately, until the other questions are answered this is not gonna go anywhere. And maybe not giving a definitive answer is their desired course of action.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

therivler1 wrote:
TheOmethod wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

well, my apologies to Omethod, I feel like a donkey buttocks.

I will be happy however this turns out.