Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (NO.)

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
robotoil
Giant

Re: Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (

Post by robotoil »

halopigg wrote:bam.
:lol:
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

PDC wrote:Funny that some are claiming these to be official. When do you need 50 official test prints for a run of 3 in one color way?
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

fribhey wrote:
summoner wrote:
PDC wrote:Funny that some are claiming these to be official. When do you need 50 official test prints for a run of 3 in one color way?
Honestly, if Shepard Fairey came to you and said the he wanted to see some samples of your work to incorporate into his, would you not try to show him anything and everything you were capable of doing? Personally I think he just did a ton of garbage in that hopes, and the future revenue would outshine the cost of the now. It's not like this is the same year that Peace Goddess came out that he is selling these. He has sat on them, for whatever reason.
and how do we know shepard went to him? maybe Peter saw a potential windfall with Shepard as a client and approached him with an offer to create some free samples to get his business. he very well could have contacted Shepard and said "hey, i have this cool printing on metal process that i think would look awesome with your work. Emek has used me in the past and loves the work i produce. why don't you send me over some artwork and i'll create a bunch of sample prints to show you everything i can do"
"Hey Shep, I've got this cool thing I do printing on aluminum. Can I...oh, you do that already?" :wink:
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

robotoil wrote:
fribhey wrote:
summoner wrote:
Honestly, if Shepard Fairey came to you and said the he wanted to see some samples of your work to incorporate into his, would you not try to show him anything and everything you were capable of doing? Personally I think he just did a ton of garbage in that hopes, and the future revenue would outshine the cost of the now. It's not like this is the same year that Peace Goddess came out that he is selling these. He has sat on them, for whatever reason.
and how do we know shepard went to him? maybe Peter saw a potential windfall with Shepard as a client and approached him with an offer to create some free samples to get his business. he very well could have contacted Shepard and said "hey, i have this cool printing on metal process that i think would look awesome with your work. Emek has used me in the past and loves the work i produce. why don't you send me over some artwork and i'll create a bunch of sample prints to show you everything i can do"
"Hey Shep, I've got this cool thing I do printing on aluminum. Can I...oh, you do that already?" :wink:
it's a completely different process, shepard doesn't do anything with anodized aluminum. Shepard does screen prints on basic (sanded) aluminum sheets, these are neither screen prints or basic aluminum ;)
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

fribhey wrote:
robotoil wrote:
fribhey wrote:
summoner wrote:
it's a completely different process, shepard doesn't do anything with anodized aluminum. Shepard does screen prints on basic (sanded) aluminum sheets, these are neither screen prints or basic aluminum ;)
Not screens? What does this guy do to get the paint on?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

robotoil wrote:
fribhey wrote:
robotoil wrote:
fribhey wrote:
summoner wrote:
Not screens? What does this guy do to get the paint on?
i don't know much about it but the process makes the aluminum "absorb" dyes:
http://www.anographics.com/aboutus.html (this is his site)

like i said, i don't know much about it but there does seem to be a bit of screening in this video using some kind of chemical instead of ink which reacts to the metal and then they hand paint the dye which seems to adhere to the chemical they screened on:
http://www.anographics.com/techniques-1.html
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

actually looks like a pretty cool process!
on point like a decimalist?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

robotoil wrote:
halopigg wrote:bam.

It's weird that he can consistently spell "anodized aluminum" correctly.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
justin
Giant

Post by justin »

goddass is too funny
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

A bunch are on ebay now. To me a few look very cool, others are ok but a couple color combinations that are a bit much more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shepard-Fairey- ... 256ecb45da
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

I'm in the business now too. :lol: :wink:
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

djsp wrote:I'm in the business now too. :lol: :wink:
That is awesome!! Where did you get that?
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Was that through that Groupon dealio? Looks cool!
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

Gigantico wrote:Was that through that Groupon dealio? Looks cool!
Yep. I thought it was funny when EC mentioned it earlier in the thread because it was already paid for and planned. Ha.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

djsp wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Was that through that Groupon dealio? Looks cool!
Yep. I thought it was funny when EC mentioned it earlier in the thread because it was already paid for and planned. Ha.
Nice, you could probably sell it on EB for a couple Gs! :lol:
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Bootleger! Just kidding djsp! That looks pretty sweet!
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Yes, but do you have it in any other color combinations? I'm thinking neon pink, hazel, mustard yellow, and royal blue. That's a nice combo right?
Who's got my old stickers?
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

got around to snapping some photos, they do have an interesting depth to them, which is hard to photo but most evident in the bottom pic. I'm not nuts about the pink, but at least mine weren't flawed as some of them were.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

Looks pretty cool, almost like it is on a white frosted glass.
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

summoner wrote:Looks pretty cool, almost like it is on a white frosted glass.
Yeah, it has the same depth (for lack of a better word) look as painted ice on a hockey rink, except much cleaner.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Phởgg
Giant

Post by Phởgg »

aust449 wrote:
Yeah, it has the same depth (for lack of a better word) look as painted ice on a hockey rink, except much cleaner.
Did this one sell on ebay easter @600?
http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... ADCAST.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

Phởgg wrote:
aust449 wrote:
Did this one sell on ebay easter @600?
Wasn't mine.
noetic
Giant

Post by noetic »

By far the best piece in this thread 8)
I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
djsp
Giant