Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (NO.)

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
summoner
Giant

Re: Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (

Post by summoner »

spagucci1 wrote: I can't speak for therivler1, but I assume most were bought with the intention to be flipped. I assume this is why I caught a firestorm of negativity when I told them these were bootlegs and not worth anything.
I think it was more due to your immediate firestorm of negativity that might have cause the firestorm of negativity in return. But that is just IMO...
therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

Believe me, I would love for nothing more than to have received the standard colors and have this on my wall. Alas, that didn't happen.

So, what do I do now? Send it back? Sell it at cost? LIke I said before, the true value of these are incredibly unknown. I really think that an auction is the best way to see what these are actually worth. If it only goes for 300, so be it. But, I think that everyone will be very interested to see where this ends up.
justin
Giant

Post by justin »

I think P.Casso should have see tossed these things on eBay instead of the litter of people listing them now.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

summoner wrote:
spagucci1 wrote: I can't speak for therivler1, but I assume most were bought with the intention to be flipped. I assume this is why I caught a firestorm of negativity when I told them these were bootlegs and not worth anything.
I think it was more due to your immediate firestorm of negativity that might have cause the firestorm of negativity in return. But that is just IMO...
What was my firestorm of negativty? Calling them bootlegs?
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

spagucci1 wrote:
summoner wrote:
I have no beef in this burger joint, but the sheer volume of your posts regarding said "bootleg-ness" in said thread may have elicted feelings of.... irritation in some people. As opposed to the notion of bootleg-ness itself, which had been raised by several others with less spirited response.
jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

Optimus Rabbit wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
summoner wrote:
I have no beef in this burger joint, but the sheer volume of your posts regarding said "bootleg-ness" in said thread may have elicted feelings of.... irritation in some people. As opposed to the notion of bootleg-ness itself, which had been raised by several others with less spirited response.

in all fairness at least one of the people who was upset with him does have this peace on evay for a crepe ton of money
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
electrachrome
Posse

Post by electrachrome »

jwoods103 wrote:in all fairness at least one of the people who was upset with him does have this peace on eBay for a crepe ton of money
Matt has yet to meet a print he didn't try and flip.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Funny that some are claiming these to be official. When do you need 50 official test prints for a run of 3 in one color way?
Deloused
Swindler

Post by Deloused »

PDC wrote:Funny that some are claiming these to be official. When do you need 50 official test prints for a run of 3 in one color way?
this is something that intrigues me too :lol:
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

PDC wrote:Funny that some are claiming these to be official. When do you need 50 official test prints for a run of 3 in one color way?
Honestly, if Shepard Fairey came to you and said the he wanted to see some samples of your work to incorporate into his, would you not try to show him anything and everything you were capable of doing? Personally I think he just did a ton of garbage in that hopes, and the future revenue would outshine the cost of the now. It's not like this is the same year that Peace Goddess came out that he is selling these. He has sat on them, for whatever reason.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

summoner wrote:
Honestly, if Shepard Fairey came to you and said the he wanted to see some samples of your work to incorporate into his, would you not try to show him anything and everything you were capable of doing? Personally I think he just did a ton of garbage in that hopes, and the future revenue would outshine the cost of the now. It's not like this is the same year that Peace Goddess came out that he is selling these. He has sat on them, for whatever reason.
and how do we know shepard went to him? maybe Peter saw a potential windfall with Shepard as a client and approached him with an offer to create some free samples to get his business. he very well could have contacted Shepard and said "hey, i have this cool printing on metal process that i think would look awesome with your work. Emek has used me in the past and loves the work i produce. why don't you send me over some artwork and i'll create a bunch of sample prints to show you everything i can do"
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

fribhey wrote:
summoner wrote:
and how do we know shepard went to him? maybe Peter saw a potential windfall with Shepard as a client and approached him with an offer to create some free samples to get his business. he very well could have contacted Shepard and said "hey, i have this cool printing on metal process that i think would look awesome with your work. Emek has used me in the past and loves the work i produce. why don't you send me over some artwork and i'll create a bunch of sample prints to show you everything i can do"

Wow Frib, can you speculate up any other possible scenarios?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Optimus Rabbit wrote:
fribhey wrote:
summoner wrote:

Wow Frib, can you speculate up any other possible scenarios?
so it's ok for everyone to speculate only one scenario? a scenario in which shepard "ordered" 50 samples and then stuck peter with the bill? all i was doing was pointing out that maybe it wasn't shepard who went to peter, the scenario which seems to have been accepted by the majority so far as to what happened. bottom line is that NOBODY knows how these came about and to just assume shepard approached/ordered samples from Peter as a fact without the possibility of it being the other way around is completely asinine.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

summoner wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't.
I would do what works best for the job.
Let's be honest, most of those color options this guy produced look like doo doo and
don't fit into any Obey design scheme I've ever seen.

So, if this is the truth then the guy didn't do his research (or listen) and you can see why
he didn't get hired. I would be put off by those samples as well.
justin
Giant

Post by justin »

So basically this dude made all these variations in hopes of Shep picking one? Then he would proceed to make 1 or 2 more for the edition?
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

justin wrote:So basically this dude made all these variations in hopes of Shep picking one? Then he would proceed to make 1 or 2 more for the edition?
I don't claim to know what the guy was thinking at all, but I can see it as a total possibility. And I would imagine he would have been going after the business of more than just this edition. Am I correct in saying that multiple HPMs, woods and metals are made for just about every print that Obey releases? Over the long run it could have paid off if he did the metals for them.

And his style of work is his, not everyone may like it, but if he is making money at it, it is obvious that some do. Artists try to expand, or try new things all the time, so a collaboration attempt between the two I can totally see, even though it didn't work out. As far as who contacted whom first, only they will know.
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

summoner wrote:
justin wrote:So basically this dude made all these variations in hopes of Shep picking one? Then he would proceed to make 1 or 2 more for the edition?
I don't claim to know what the guy was thinking at all, but I can see it as a total possibility. And I would imagine he would have been going after the business of more than just this edition. Am I correct in saying that multiple HPMs, woods and metals are made for just about every print that Obey releases? Over the long run it could have paid off if he did the metals for them.

And his style of work is his, not everyone may like it, but if he is making money at it, it is obvious that some do. Artists try to expand, or try new things all the time, so a collaboration attempt between the two I can totally see, even though it didn't work out. As far as who contacted whom first, only they will know.
I spoke with him on the phone. He said this was early in their process and that they were just exploring all the different colors, things they could do and were just having fun with it. Remember, originally only 13 of these went up for sale, and when they oversold and everyone wanted more, he said they'd cone in all different colors and everyone had a chance to cancel or return. Also, if you called, they would tell you the colors you were getting. Surely wasn't a smooth drop, and shouldnt have sold without clearing it, but A lot of the conspiracy theory stuff doesn't make sense. Why would anyone print these, sign them, hold them for 4 years, then sell them below market value if it were a ploy for $$$?
BadJustin
Posse

Post by BadJustin »

I not so secretly wish he never released these. This is like discussing politics, no one is going to ever be right.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

Honestly it would be nice to have some actual clarification from Obey on these pieces. There has been cryptic info, but nothing that says what exactly the deal is. We can speculate and guess all we want, and someone may hit the mark but we will never REALLY know unless we get word from the horses mouth.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

http://www.daveposters.com/forum/showth ... INUM/page3

Post 63 has a hoot of a pic of the invoice P.Casso sent. Sorry, cannot post pics from phone.
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

bam.
Who's got my old stickers?
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

summoner wrote:Honestly it would be nice to have some actual clarification from Obey on these pieces. There has been cryptic info, but nothing that says what exactly the deal is. We can speculate and guess all we want, and someone may hit the mark but we will never REALLY know unless we get word from the horses mouth.
whyhoo wrote:with info like that, we're never actually going to know what went on! i think the wild speculation on the internet is more fun anyways!

let's keep it going!

what if - now hear me out - what if shepard's wife amanda went to peter looking for a birthday present for shepard? let's say some of his artwork done on a different medium. and then peter was like "sh!t do you think he'd like some of these crazy color combos?" and then amanda was like "yeah baby! that garbage is rad, let's see how many samples you can come up with!" and then peter was like "well here you go, i made some super crazy and some not, some glossy and some not" and then amanda was like "screw you dude! those are ugly!" and then peter was like "hmpf. okay. i'm just going to sulk for a while".

and then 3-4 years later peter is like "wow i made these great birthday presents for shepard and they were rejected by his wife" and then one of shepards fans visited peter's studio and was like "hey you could sell those for MONEY" and then peter was like "well sh!t i could! why don't i just try and recoup my cost, no one is going to buy these anyways" and then his website was all like "BOOM!" and his phone was all like "RING!" and peter's existence just blew the fvck up. and then amanda called and apologized to peter for all the crazy people online jumping up his a$s because at the end of the day this is all amanda's fault for asking peter to make a birthday present for shepard. so then peter was all like "sh1t sh!t who the fvck is shooting us? launch our missles!" and then australia was like "WTF".

but they'll be dead soon. fvcking kangaroos.
on point like a decimalist?
wiredbeans
Propaganda Engineer

Post by wiredbeans »

whyhoo wrote:
summoner wrote:Honestly it would be nice to have some actual clarification from Obey on these pieces. There has been cryptic info, but nothing that says what exactly the deal is. We can speculate and guess all we want, and someone may hit the mark but we will never REALLY know unless we get word from the horses mouth.
whyhoo wrote:with info like that, we're never actually going to know what went on! i think the wild speculation on the internet is more fun anyways!

let's keep it going!

what if - now hear me out - what if shepard's wife amanda went to peter looking for a birthday present for shepard? let's say some of his artwork done on a different medium. and then peter was like "sh!t do you think he'd like some of these crazy color combos?" and then amanda was like "yeah baby! that garbage is rad, let's see how many samples you can come up with!" and then peter was like "well here you go, i made some super crazy and some not, some glossy and some not" and then amanda was like "screw you dude! those are ugly!" and then peter was like "hmpf. okay. i'm just going to sulk for a while".

and then 3-4 years later peter is like "wow i made these great birthday presents for shepard and they were rejected by his wife" and then one of shepards fans visited peter's studio and was like "hey you could sell those for MONEY" and then peter was like "well sh!t i could! why don't i just try and recoup my cost, no one is going to buy these anyways" and then his website was all like "BOOM!" and his phone was all like "RING!" and peter's existence just blew the fvck up. and then amanda called and apologized to peter for all the crazy people online jumping up his a$s because at the end of the day this is all amanda's fault for asking peter to make a birthday present for shepard. so then peter was all like "sh1t sh!t who the fvck is shooting us? launch our missles!" and then australia was like "WTF".

exactly!!! haha
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

whyhoo wrote:

let's keep it going!

Good one. But, what if it was Vivi saying she wants an anniversary present for her parents. She told Peter she liked the PG image and brought her Crayloa box and said she likes all the colors in the box and wondered if he could use them ALL. Peter says "Sure thing". Then 3 years down the road, Peter realizes Vivi was just a baby and it was all a dream. Now, he has 60+ pieces and doesn't have the room to store them all.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

whyhoo wrote: let's keep it going!

Mind = Blown :.o