Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (NO.)

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Anographics Aluminum Obey prints: Are they authorized? (

Post by whyhoo »

jojobadass wrote:woohoo!

YES!!!!

great first post dude :lol: took you long enough!
on point like a decimalist?
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

Official or not - Most have still been beaten with the ugly stick
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

BadJustin wrote:
justin wrote:Oh, I love memes. More!

lol, admins on this board just twitched. But i digress, I still wouldn't pay 250 for one sight unseen. I'm not a gambling man.
i love memes, too :D
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

djsp wrote:
Optimus Rabbit wrote:
I didn't buy a piece, and your still assuming that this dude did something wrong. You dont have any reason to say "it sets a terrible precedent"; you've built a narrative of what occurred here in your imagination. The guy clearly did nothing wrong, and Obey just confirmed it.

So irritating.
Well Obey has yet to confirm it. Pete posted to EB unless I am mistaken. We were given some info from Omethod which basically was "we shut this down", sooo yeah I would believe him more than old Pete. If they back tracked and decided to work it out then fine, so be it. But honestly man, lay off the White Knight stuff. "Go through the interwebs and clean up this guys name"? What cleaning up? This went on here and on EB. I'm sure he'll survive.
That's a cool story. Anyways, I was just trying to fend the pack of wolves off of a business owner until he was proven guilty.

For a group of "Art Lovers", this community will act very quickly to destroy an artist.
s_k_y
Propaganda Engineer

Post by s_k_y »

Optimus Rabbit wrote:
For a group of "Art Lovers", this community will act very quickly to destroy a printer.
Fixed.
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

s_k_y wrote:
Optimus Rabbit wrote:
For a group of "Art Lovers", this community will act very quickly to destroy a printer.
Fixed.
Not really. But, whatever. It's been interesting watching all of the investors on this forum scurry over the last week.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Just disappointing really to see an OG iconic image released in so many random @ss color variants. Trivializes it IMO... never really liked the print color variants either, but oh well, moving on.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Still seems shady as sh!t. But given Shepard's wacky track record as far as signing bootlegs, wonky editioning and general craziness with his releases, this new chapter comes as no surprise. I think bottom line Shep is a very, and probably too, nice (and busy!) dude and the last thing he wants is more static and/or court battles.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

Optimus Rabbit wrote: That's a cool story. Anyways, I was just trying to fend the pack of wolves off of a business owner until he was proven guilty.

For a group of "Art Lovers", this community will act very quickly to destroy an artist.
It is a cool story isn't it. I enjoy stories that are based on what happened. You are wonderfully dismissive Rabbit. Good for you. And yes, I know I should probably just stop responding at this point, but ya know, why start being reasonable now? :lol:
Whatever changed changed, and this is where we are now. You are as "right" as I was "wrong". Initially he was selling without authorization. Established by him in the email that said to some degree "Shep didn't say I could sell, but didn't say I couldn't". His post. Then Omethod supported that consent was not established by pointing out the sales page was taken down. These are things that happened. Now probably something financially was worked out and they are coming up with a new category of authorized unsigned printers proofs or whatever. In the end you chose to believe what the "artist" (your term, not mine) was saying. I chose to believe the trusted source of info that has been a member of this board for years. To each their own.
aust449
Swindler

Post by aust449 »

I agree with Optimus Rabbit that this guy wasn't committing any sort of intentional misrepresentation and that it is best to wait until all the facts are present before piling on someone.

At the same time, the release was misguided. He didn't spell Shepard's name correctly, he grossly oversold the prints, accidentally accepted payments from everyone he oversold to, then never sent out confirmation emails to those who actually did score (I still haven't gotten a confirmation email and have 1 or 2 which have shipped). With a little due diligence he likely could have avoided this whole mess and probably gotten a better return on his sale. Live and learn.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

OMethod- can we please get some type of confirmation from the Obey camp so this disaster can be put to rest?
BadJustin
Posse

Post by BadJustin »

spagucci1 wrote:OMethod- can we please get some type of confirmation from the Obey camp so this disaster can be put to rest?

that ^^ times 1,000,000,000.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

Baby Jesus, all this hot girl wants for Easter this year is for this thread to be buried like an Easter egg that is never unearthed once hidden.

please baby Jesus, please.....

- i really don't ask for much. ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

:lol:
easycraig wrote:.

Baby Jesus, all this hot girl wants for Easter this year is for this thread to be buried like an Easter egg that is never unearthed once hidden.

please baby Jesus, please.....

- i really don't ask for much. ec
s_k_y
Propaganda Engineer

Post by s_k_y »

aust449 wrote: With a little due diligence he likely could have avoided this whole mess and probably gotten a better return on his sale. Live and learn.
The due diligence should have been done before he ever sold them. We'll never know what Shepard would have said before, so now that they have all been sold and shipped his options are limited.

Why bother suing him now? Will he ask for the profits? If he 'authorizes' them you could make the argument that it cheapens the 'real' ones. It's pretty much a lose/lose for Shepard and all because this printer didn't do what he should have done before hand.

And no, Optimus Rabbit - he is not an artist. He is a printer.

BadJustin wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:OMethod- can we please get some type of confirmation from the Obey camp so this disaster can be put to rest?

that ^^ times 1,000,000,000.
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

I love all of you people. :mrgreen:
s_k_y
Propaganda Engineer

Post by s_k_y »

Optimus Rabbit wrote:
s_k_y wrote: And no, Optimus Rabbit - he is not an artist. He is a printer.
Thanks for that, I've been waiting for an expert to chime in on this.
I'm not trying to diminish the technique and skill needed to create the final product, but rather point out that he did not design any of the images that he's selling (at least from what I can see). If he does in fact come up with original ideas and put them to paper/metal them then I'll happily rescind my comment and admit that I was wrong. In this particular example though he's the printer and I don't really see how you could make the argument otherwise.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

s_k_y wrote:
aust449 wrote: With a little due diligence he likely could have avoided this whole mess and probably gotten a better return on his sale. Live and learn.
The due diligence should have been done before he ever sold them.
Yeah, I don't understand how people are overlooking that. The fact that he just wrote that they are "now official" means that they weren't before when he first tried to sell them as such.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

let's bid that bad boy up to 50k!
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

2.5k is a bit ambitious... Although, that is one of the best looking ones that I have seen.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

summoner wrote:2.5k is a bit ambitious... Although, that is one of the best looking ones that I have seen.
it's one of the best looking ones because it uses the same colors as the original. my problem with this particular one is that huge stain across her face and the light blue marks on the sides of the face, both results from the anodizing process. to me, making these anodized added absolutely nothing to the final image. in fact, i think the process actual ruined this piece and served no purpose other than saying their anodized.
TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Post by TheOmethod »

I can confirm the accuracy of this statement:

"Petecasso wrote:
Well, Iv'e just got of the phone with Obey Giant Art, and have reached an agreement with them"
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Oh jeez.
Who's got my old stickers?
justin
Giant

Post by justin »

Well, darn, poor guy on eBay with inaccurate description.