How fake are these Beatles?

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

How fake are these Beatles?

Post by pennylesspig »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTI-Shepard-Fai ... 1c2d21db18

Signatures look nothing like any of the prints I've ever had from that era.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: How fake are these Beatles?

Post by jjttdw »

Wildly inconsistent signatures. I wonder if the seller knows they are fake
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

A bit late on the reply here, but honestly those prints could very much be real. My Beatles set has sigs like that and my set is legit. When I got my set, I was thinking WTF in regards to the sigs. The sigs are really a bit rough from that era.
JErikR
pennylesspig
Propaganda Engineer

Post by pennylesspig »

JErikR wrote:A bit late on the reply here, but honestly those prints could very much be real. My Beatles set has sigs like that and my set is legit. When I got my set, I was thinking WTF in regards to the sigs. The sigs are really a bit rough from that era.
Could you possibly post pictures of the sigs on your set?
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

I once owned a 6-piece Beatles set, that was 100% real. I originally purchased the first 5 from the Japanese stash + the 4 giant beatles from Downlowsf.

There were signature differences, and several were obviously signed when printed(1996) and others when sold(2000).

That being said, if I ever entered the market to obtain another Beatles set, which is very likely in the future as I miss it, I would be very, very concerned about source. There are a lot of fakes out there, many which appear to have originated in Boston, and you really need to touch the paper stock to determine. Even then, people claim the thin knock-offs are actually 'pasters' from the era which complicates things as there were pasters of these images released at that time.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

I still don't understand where the notion that someone is making fake Beatles prints. I get that the signatures may be fake, but the prints? Where does this come from?
Check out my T-shirt quilts
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Typhoon »

Well here's my story.
I bought a lot of prints from a local pawn shop. Most of the prints were from the last few years but there was a Big Brother from 1999.

http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Big_Brother

So my eyes widened and negotiated a nice price of under $600 for ten or so prints.
I get the prints home and check out the big bro, and it is printed on some weird vinyl like paper, but what do I know about old prints?
I hit the board and message Mr. Revs here, who is looking for older prints, tell him what I got and email him pictures.
He tells me that the signatures look fake to him and now I'm really sad.
I reach out to a contact at Obey Giant, TheOmethod, and he says "send me some pics and I'll let you know what I think".
After reviewing the pics he says signature is bad and the paper is bad. Fake for sure.

But looking at the signatures on these beatles, the signatures on my "fake" Big Brother are the same.

So what was the final outcome with these Beatles prints?
Good sig or bad and what kind of paper are they on?
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037