Prints rolled way too tights

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Whoever is packaging the prints for Shep is rolling them way to tight, so tight that there are minor creases in the print.
So a bit of advice for the Obey Shipping crew, lightly roll the prints so they fight perfectly in the shipping tube. -From a bitter a lil skipper
User avatar
skipperdoodledoo
Punk
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 5, 2012

skipperdoodledoo wrote:Whoever is packaging the prints for Shep is rolling them way to tight, so tight that there are minor creases in the print.
So a bit of advice for the Obey Shipping crew, lightly roll the prints so they fight perfectly in the shipping tube. -From a bitter a lil skipper

Wrong.

I have been collecting prints for nearly 15 years and have been shipping prints for a very long time and I can tell you with absolute certainty that loosely packing prints into a tube is the worse thing anyone could do. Rolling them tightly helps prevent damage that occurs during shipping. If a print is rolled loosely then any ding to the the tube itself, no matter how big or small, would damage the print.

It's not the tightness of the rolling of the print that caused you creasing, it was caused by the person rolling it.

FYI, if you experienced any damage to the print then you might want to contact obey directly to try and get it resolved. This is a fan forum, owned and run by fans.
User avatar
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness
 
Posts: 10661
Joined: Jan 12, 2007

letting the print open in the tube so it rests against the sides is the silliest thing - i'm not sure why so many people believe that's the best way! if the tube takes a hit it's guaranteed to get damaged.

TRUE FANS MAKE THE SMART MOVE

ROLL SMALLER THAN THE TUBE!
on point like a decimalist?
User avatar
whyhoo
itsame
 
Posts: 7551
Joined: May 20, 2007
Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat

I roll a little smaller than tube. Not tight. I agree obey has been rolling too tight lately. Hey, u should always insure for piece of mind anyway. CYA.
User avatar
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Jan 29, 2012

Jessica Ravelo wrote:I roll a little smaller than tube. Not tight. I agree obey has been rolling too tight lately. Hey, u should always insure for piece of mind anyway. CYA.


This may not be a popular opinion, but if you pack properly you should not insure. I've been buying and selling online for 15 years and have claimed insurance exactly one time. Since I stopped insuring about 7 years ago, I've had to give one refund on a $600 print that got creased in half when shipped flat (my bad for sticking with the artist's original packing method instead of just rolling the durn thing). After flattening it as best I could, I resold it damaged for $250.

So out of about 1000 uninsured packages, I lost $350 - if I had insured them all it would have cost at least $3000, maybe more. Just make sure everything has tracking and you know how to pack.
User avatar
Solar
Giant
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: May 8, 2007

I don't sell nearly as much so I never ran the numbers. Out of the hundred or so I've shipped I have never had anything damaged and I almost always get the insurance. So long as the shipper accepts that any damage will fall back on them I see no problem with skipping insurance. If I sold more I might consider being self insured.
Last edited by jjttdw on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jjttdw
Mono Enojado
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Dixie

Solar wrote:
Jessica Ravelo wrote:I roll a little smaller than tube. Not tight. I agree obey has been rolling too tight lately. Hey, u should always insure for piece of mind anyway. CYA.


This may not be a popular opinion, but if you pack properly you should not insure.


if you sell on this forum then it's mandatory to include shipping:

SELLING & TRADING RULES!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24290

shipping:

insurance is mandatory unless waived by mutual agreement, and a uniform code of shipping should be followed (with regard to tube, tracking, etc.).
User avatar
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness
 
Posts: 10661
Joined: Jan 12, 2007

I'm self insured. If the print is damaged, I assume the loss and refund the buyer.
User avatar
Solar
Giant
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: May 8, 2007

Solar wrote:I'm self insured. If the print is damaged, I assume the loss and refund the buyer.


i like this idea, may have to try it out! i heard the same from someone else recently.
on point like a decimalist?
User avatar
whyhoo
itsame
 
Posts: 7551
Joined: May 20, 2007
Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat

whyhoo wrote:
Solar wrote:I'm self insured. If the print is damaged, I assume the loss and refund the buyer.


i like this idea, may have to try it out! i heard the same from someone else recently.

you guys are just some big ballers to accept that kind of responsibility. im sure im packing well cause ive had no complaints. still wanna cover my arse. you guys are right about it adding up. Also seems to give me more piece of mind i guess. You guys are on some next level stuff :lol:
User avatar
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Jan 29, 2012

Solar wrote:I'm self insured. If the print is damaged, I assume the loss and refund the buyer.



Agreed .

All this insurance paranoia is akin to signing up for the extended warrenty nonsense that they try and sell you whenever you go into a white-goods shop (fridge -cooker-tv etc) and you end up paying nearly double what the original item costs in the first place "for your peace of mind sir" , these postal delivery firms are making a fortune out of us in added extras.

Im constantly seeing prints , and all kinds of other goods , with BIN prices of $40-$50 then wanting belt-and braces postage with insurance charges of $65 , and week after week they are relisted as unsold...little wonder.

Here's a novel idea , make the postage costs reasonable and you might actualy sell them. Assume the very small risk of their loss or damage yourself and watch your bank account soar as you begin to learn that the good guys out there outnumber the bad guys who are out to "scam" you by 99.9% to 1.
User avatar
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Dec 15, 2011

Fattyramone wrote: white-goods shop (fridge -cooker-tv etc)


I agree Fatty. And I love the fact that you have to translate from English to English. :lol: :lol:
User avatar
jjttdw
Mono Enojado
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Dixie

Jessica Ravelo wrote:
whyhoo wrote:
Solar wrote:I'm self insured. If the print is damaged, I assume the loss and refund the buyer.


i like this idea, may have to try it out! i heard the same from someone else recently.

you guys are just some big ballers to accept that kind of responsibility. im sure im packing well cause ive had no complaints. still wanna cover my arse. you guys are right about it adding up. Also seems to give me more piece of mind i guess. You guys are on some next level stuff :lol:


Totally agree.. I've had multiple tubes crushed en route to me (always usps) so now I always insure. One trashed tube will more than set you back the cost of multiple insured deliveries. Just build it into the cost. Foolish are the uninsured.
User avatar
unioneighteen
Swindler
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Jun 8, 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

.


i always think of this song whenever i hear about prints being rolled too tight..... lol :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpGbwWQGkI

carry on... :lol: ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
User avatar
easycraig
Giant
 
Posts: 5881
Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Location: Hot Girl Giant !

easycraig wrote:.


i always think of this song whenever i hear about prints being rolled too tight..... lol :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpGbwWQGkI

carry on... :lol: ec

I always think of duckywaddles...lol..seems the newbs always complaining
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
User avatar
extremeimages77
Giant
 
Posts: 2986
Joined: Oct 8, 2007
Location: Boston MA

unioneighteen wrote:Totally agree.. I've had multiple tubes crushed en route to me (always usps) so now I always insure.


Your mail carrier must hate you or I must be lucky because I've only received two things that got banged up on their way to me. One was Peace Woman that some idiot rolled in craft paper and stuck directly in a triangle box. The triangle box was crushed. The idiot seller said he'd never had a problem shipping that way and implied that any insurance shortfall would land on me. EBay thought differently. The other was After the Rain from Eelus which has 30 or so pages on EB devoted to all those whose prints arrived damaged. Happily, my replacement After the Rain arrived today. :D
User avatar
jjttdw
Mono Enojado
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Dixie

jjttdw wrote:
unioneighteen wrote:Totally agree.. I've had multiple tubes crushed en route to me (always usps) so now I always insure.


Your mail carrier must hate you or I must be lucky because I've only received two things that got banged up on their way to me. One was Peace Woman that some idiot rolled in craft paper and stuck directly in a triangle box. The triangle box was crushed. The idiot seller said he'd never had a problem shipping that way and implied that any insurance shortfall would land on me. EBay thought differently. The other was After the Rain from Eelus which has 30 or so pages on EB devoted to all those whose prints arrived damaged. Happily, my replacement After the Rain arrived today. :D


I don't know, maybe. I guess I'm just unlucky, or maybe your mail carrier things you're super special and takes extra care of your stuff. You should just keep shipping your prints without insurance. Thanks.
User avatar
unioneighteen
Swindler
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Jun 8, 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

unioneighteen wrote:
Jessica Ravelo wrote:
whyhoo wrote:
Solar wrote:I'm self insured. If the print is damaged, I assume the loss and refund the buyer.


i like this idea, may have to try it out! i heard the same from someone else recently.

you guys are just some big ballers to accept that kind of responsibility. im sure im packing well cause ive had no complaints. still wanna cover my arse. you guys are right about it adding up. Also seems to give me more piece of mind i guess. You guys are on some next level stuff :lol:


Totally agree.. I've had multiple tubes crushed en route to me (always usps) so now I always insure. One trashed tube will more than set you back the cost of multiple insured deliveries. Just build it into the cost. Foolish are the uninsured.


Whatever works for you, man. Personally I think it's foolish to give the USPS $3 for every tube I ship when they've only ruined one out of every um...750 or so. That's $2250 to cover $250 worth of damage. Sounds like a great deal!

Of course, now they're including like $60 in free insurance when you ship Priority Mail at their newly jacked up prices, so you don't really have much of a choice - they're 'building it into the cost' for you.
User avatar
Solar
Giant
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: May 8, 2007

unioneighteen wrote:
jjttdw wrote:
unioneighteen wrote:Totally agree.. I've had multiple tubes crushed en route to me (always usps) so now I always insure.


Your mail carrier must hate you or I must be lucky because I've only received two things that got banged up on their way to me. One was Peace Woman that some idiot rolled in craft paper and stuck directly in a triangle box. The triangle box was crushed. The idiot seller said he'd never had a problem shipping that way and implied that any insurance shortfall would land on me. EBay thought differently. The other was After the Rain from Eelus which has 30 or so pages on EB devoted to all those whose prints arrived damaged. Happily, my replacement After the Rain arrived today. :D


I don't know, maybe. I guess I'm just unlucky, or maybe your mail carrier things you're super special and takes extra care of your stuff. You should just keep shipping your prints without insurance. Thanks.


We give the mail carrier a gift card over the holidays so maybe that buys a little extra care on the last leg of the journey. I think USPS service varies as to where you live. Its great where I live now but was terrible when I lived in Chicago.

I usually include insurance because I'm too much of a chicken to self insure. Now that USPS includes $50 insurance I will probably skip it for items under $100-150 in value.
User avatar
jjttdw
Mono Enojado
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Dixie

.

im with solar on this issue.... i never insure anything.... i just make sure its packed right..... i have had a few items go missing for a couple months.... ( usually when shipped over seas ) - but they both eventually came back fine.

-the key is to pack right..... and to get some proof of delivery... but the insurance is a waste... the one time i did try to collect, the post office said since i did not have the original shipping box (person i sent it to, threw it away) - they would not refund.... lol..

-just my 2 cents..... - kinda glad i don't sell much anymore.... happy thursday folks... !!! ec :D
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
User avatar
easycraig
Giant
 
Posts: 5881
Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Location: Hot Girl Giant !

Self insurance means call the buyer a lier when print arrives damaged. I get it. :lol: just kidding.
User avatar
Jessica Ravelo
Propaganda Engineer
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Jan 29, 2012

Jessica Ravelo wrote:Self insurance means call the buyer a lier when print arrives damaged. I get it. :lol: just kidding.


That made me laugh out loud.
User avatar
jjttdw
Mono Enojado
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Dixie


Return to Giant vs Giant

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest