Evolve Devolve Ebay Scam - Help needed

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Crunge99
Punk

Evolve Devolve Ebay Scam - Help needed

Post by Crunge99 »

So I fell for an Ebay scammers trick and won an offer for a "Sold Out" Evolve Devolve poster. Turns out it was the 24x36 version. The seller (who flips a lot of Obey posters on Ebay) claims that at the time of his original posting (April 2013) that the offset version of Evolve was sold out.

He would have me believe that in 11 months of having this on ebay, he never checked back to the Obey site to see if the offset Evolve was available...while simultaneously selling other Obey posters.

After contacting the seller to cancel, he's going to ding me with a non-paying-bidder rep, even though his title was misleading and wrong.

So forum members, can you tell me... To your knowledge, has the offset version of Evolve Devolve ever been "sold out?"
summoner
Giant

Re: Evolve Devolve Ebay Scam - Help needed

Post by summoner »

The 24x36 version of these is an Open Edition and does go in and out of stock from time to time on Obey's site.

At the end of the day though, you should be doing your own research on pricing/availability before you buy and not relying 100% on the word of an eBay seller.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

"sold out" is definitely not a metric when it comes to describing a print, and it's definitely not one that ebay would call "misleading" or a "scam". print size and medium should tell you all you need to know! "sold out" is very subjective and not easily defined in this context. did the seller previously "sell out" of this print? are they referring to shepard having "sold out" when he made this design? word play on my end obviously but you see what i'm getting at.

the picture is pretty telling as well, this is obviously the litho version (notice the collage detail that's not present on the screenprint):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVOLVE-DEVOLVE- ... 7675.l2557

sounds like a classic case of failed due diligence on your part, certainly NOT a SCAM and it seems to be your assumptions that have misled you - there is nothing misleading in that seller's listing.

and really at the end of the day how will a non paying bidder mark effect you? unless you do it often it won't, so i wouldn't sweat it. :D

this seller looks trustworthy according to their feedback.

(not my listing, FWIW)
on point like a decimalist?
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

I have to throw this in there too, just hung my Evolve Devolve AP up after the move.

jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

summoner wrote: At the end of the day though, you should be doing your own research on pricing/availability before you buy and not relying 100% on the word of an eBay seller.
Nice framed corner Summoner.
therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

whyhoo wrote:sounds like a classic case of failed due diligence on your part, certainly NOT a SCAM and it seems to be your assumptions that have misled you )
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

Unless he added it later, it says right in the auction:

Information:
Technique: Offset Lithograph
Size: 24" X 36"

This one is on you...