tools of the trade

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

phishbeatles wrote:Theres definetly something sketchy about this. The fact that this Jason kid didnt even mention in his reply back to the seller about a trade, when the seller said he would end the auction early and work something out is definetly sketchy.

Its pretty sad that he polices ebay. Its like dude go brainstorm a design for a new poster, then maybe you won't have to reuse images every other week.

Isn't this the part where someone chimes in "Great first post! Welcome!" :roll:
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

Dont you remember that one of Rxel's first posts was similar. He was like " I know more important people at Obey than this Jason guy" ahahahahaaa
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Molotov Man wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:Theres definetly something sketchy about this. The fact that this Jason kid didnt even mention in his reply back to the seller about a trade, when the seller said he would end the auction early and work something out is definetly sketchy.

Its pretty sad that he polices ebay. Its like dude go brainstorm a design for a new poster, then maybe you won't have to reuse images every other week.

Should we take a vote and see if this is the most ignorant post of all time?

Who the fcuk it this Jason kid? :lol:

Aren't we supposed to be nice to him and welcome him since this is his first post?
Hey, welcome to the board PhishBeatles! Great first post!
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

PDC wrote:
Molotov Man wrote:

Aren't we supposed to be nice to him and welcome him since this is his first post?

See...
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

PDC wrote:Aren't we supposed to be nice to him and welcome him since this is his first post?

Would you welcome me to your house again if, the first time i came over i got drunk and pisssssed in your washing maching? :lol:
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

PDC wrote:
Molotov Man wrote:

yea wait to be a diick till he has at least 30 posts. :lol:
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Molotov Man wrote:
PDC wrote:Aren't we supposed to be nice to him and welcome him since this is his first post?

Would you welcome me to your house again if, the first time i came over i got drunk and pisssssed in your washing maching? :lol:

Hmmm, the drunk part, I wouldn't mind.
The pisssing in my washing machine, banned for life.
noetic
Giant

Post by noetic »

Molotov Man wrote:

:lol: :lol:
I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

PDC wrote:
Molotov Man wrote:

Hmmm, the drunk part, I wouldn't mind.
The pisssing in my washing machine, banned for life.

wait... so you're NOT supposed to tinkle in the washing machine? doesn't it go right down the drain? :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reverend ToneZone
Giant

Post by Reverend ToneZone »

Oh no . . . now you're over here stirring up crepe?!?! Dude you don't even collect Obey prints . . . are you gonna waste your time talking sh!t here too . . . :roll:
Check out the collection, wants, trades, and feedback . . .
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=8633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong." -George Carlin R.I.P.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Yeah... this smells like rxel. But I think that this is some other really ignorant person.

Great start. Welcome!

Id be in to pitch in to get jason a print!
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
Volcom99
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Volcom99 »

noverflow wrote:Yeah... this smells like rxel. But I think that this is some other really ignorant person.

Great start. Welcome!

Id be in to pitch in to get jason a print!

I offered him mine. He should be able to have his own work, its only the decent thing to do.
That's my word.
rollcameraandaction
Giant

Post by rollcameraandaction »

worst first post ever. this is pretty insulting to jason.
"Be disciplined in your life so you can be violent and original in your art."
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

rollcameraandaction wrote:worst first post ever.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

I suppose I should interject at this point and reply on my own behalf before this thread gets too much more out of hand...

And before I get going, let me also say 'thanks' to all of you who emailed and PM'd me, willing and eager to donate/flow/trade your own copy of the SNO/Tools print. The offers were all noble gestures, so again, thanks. (but DON'T you want to keep them all for yourselves!? You should! hahhaah)

Yes, I did place a bid on a SNO/Tools print last week that was listed on EBay. Unfortunately, my bid was cancelled by the seller who apparently felt paranoid or suspicious about my identity/association/professional affiliation. That's fine, and as the seller has apparently posted my reply (elsewhere on 'the internets'! AWESOME!). So, please pardon me if the following is repetitive....

Before the print was released to the public, I was given a small stack of these prints by my employer to do with what I pleased. I had a lonnnng list of friends and family members that I had been eagerly planning to send my first print edition to, so I did. A few months went by and before I knew it, I was completely OUT of prints- I had been a little to generous to everyone and I had given them all away...and I still had people on my personal list waiting for a print!

"No problem", I thought, without panic, "I'll just buy a few 'used' ones from EBay, and gift those out. And get one for myself, too".

So I found one, placed a bid, and instead of waiting for a print to show up in the mail, I have people on 'the internets' accusing me of 'policing' Ebay and trying to 'bust' Obey Giant customers.......hmmmmm.

Guess what?

I don't care what anyone does with their own time/property/print collection/consumer goods/etc.

Guess what else?

When I am on the clock, I spend most of my time making art and design. When I am not on the clock, I spend the rest of my time making art and design. (Oh, and sometimes I come on this forum, when others play NICELY). I don't have time to play detective and comb 'the internets' trying to find Ebay flippers.

Since this auction has ended, I have managed to acquire a second small stack of prints, thanks to Shepard's generosity.
Last edited by Jason Filipow on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

You're right....something WAS sketchy. The seller wanted me to trade my 'Monkey Pod' (valued in the $500 range) for some crappy 'Tools of the Trade' (valued in the $100 range) print by a jerk that nobody has heard of or even cares about!
ca77
Giant

Post by ca77 »

weird.

knew it.
Our influence will be gigantic.
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

Jason Filipow wrote:

You're right....something WAS sketchy. The seller wanted me to trade my 'Monkey Pod' (valued in the $500 range) for some crappy 'Tools of the Trade' (valued in the $100 range) print by a jerk that nobody has heard of or even cares about!

you should just print some more AP's 8)
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

funny how there's always more to the story!!!
on point like a decimalist?
mcnail
Swindler

Post by mcnail »

While this is all well and good, it is kind of hard to act like the idea of Obey employees policing Ebay is out of the question, especially when it has been publicly stated on the Obey front page that such practices would happen. Also, people always get asked numbers of Obey prints for that purpose, whether it is from Obey directly or a third party that is out to inform you. I don't necessarily agree that he should've canceled your bid (especially after your honest reply), but I don't think it's unreasonable to question your intentions. Jist sayin'.

From ObeyGiant.com

"As many of you know, we have been taking some aggressive action against ebay sellers/flippers and the incredible prices of the prints sold on ebay"

Again, I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption.
noetic
Giant

Post by noetic »

ill be surprised if Mr. phishbeatles sticks around to make a 2nd post
I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Post by superfly snuka »

noetic wrote:ill be surprised if Mr. phishbeatles sticks around to make a 2nd post

remember that awesome SNL commercial...ooops i crapped my pants... :D
bleuachdu
Posse

Post by bleuachdu »

Jason Filipow wrote:When I am on the clock, I spend most of my time making art and design.

Well when I'm on the clock, i spend most of my time looking at art and reading about design. I don't bother carrying out most of the duties of my actual job.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

no because phish sucks and anyone who likes phish sucks as well
phishbeatles
Punk

Post by phishbeatles »

mcnail wrote:While this is all well and good, it is kind of hard to act like the idea of Obey employees policing Ebay is out of the question, especially when it has been publicly stated on the Obey front page that such practices would happen. Also, people always get asked numbers of Obey prints for that purpose, whether it is from Obey directly or a third party that is out to inform you. I don't necessarily agree that he should've canceled your bid (especially after your honest reply), but I don't think it's unreasonable to question your intentions. Jist sayin'.

From ObeyGiant.com

"As many of you know, we have been taking some aggressive action against ebay sellers/flippers and the incredible prices of the prints sold on ebay"

Again, I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption.

Exactly it wasn't unreasonable, and he even offered to trade the print to Jason if he wanted to and Jason didnt even mention anything in his reply back or in his post. And like the person stated above its been said they try to take aggresive action against sellers/flippers.

I just don't see how the people who have the first print are not upset about him reusing the image. Big woop it's a little different being an offset, its still the same thing.

But just be warned the more you don't speak up about this kinda stuff, the more hes going to keep reusing images. If you make an edition of 300 then leave it at that. That's just my opinion but if you guys like that kinda thing, then great. Just realize the more he does this the more the first prints are going to dive in value, and while we all know from being collectors of art etc.. that we initially don't buy a print hoping we can cash in on it years from now, it is nice knowing that yeah 10-15 years down the road you will be able to sell the print at a profitable price and can semi justify spending all the time and money on one of your passions. I definetly would be annoyed knowing I paid 200 bux for one of these only to find out a couple weeks later I could have gotten the same thing for 30 bux.

I just don't understand if he can't come up with a new design then just don't release a print, most artists don't release a print every week, your creative juices have to run dry at some point and there is nothing wrong with that. Why not pick out the best images and use them and disregard the stuff that is just mediocre?

I almost compare this to Phish, yes I said Phish omg.... At least in 2004 when they realized they were basically half assing there fans by not practicing, getting slopy, and were in bad shape personally they decided to hang up the towel and step back instead of just going throw the motions and keep on chugging.

So why does he not do this for his fans? Why does he use an old image instead of not releasing one? Because he knows he can still make money off of it and thats the bottom line.

So yeah bash away do whatever. I respect you guys enough as fellow collectors to not post here anymore and leave it at this. But hopefully you guys think about what I said above when in a couple months he does this again and your sitting on a piece that was worth a few hundred dollars but nobody will give you the time of day for that piece because they can just get the "offset" for alot cheaper.

And yeah I actually enjoy some of this guys work (sunsets are to die for) nice piece, and a few others as well, but I will not own anything just cause I think some of the things he does is decieving like doing this offset thing, besides the fact about policing ebay.

And oh yeah, GREATEST FIRST POST EVA!