tools of the trade

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

So, are your smeared or just don't understand that Shepard and Jason are two different people???? :roll:
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Molotov Man wrote:So, are your smeared or just don't understand that Shepard and Jason are two different people???? :roll:

it does seem that something is awry with his argument. is this even on topic?
Mirage17738
Punk

Post by Mirage17738 »

...he even offered to trade the print to Jason if he wanted to and Jason didnt even mention anything in his reply back or in his post....

As per Jason on page 2 "You're right....something WAS sketchy. The seller wanted me to trade my 'Monkey Pod' (valued in the $500 range) for some crappy 'Tools of the Trade' (valued in the $100 range) print by a jerk that nobody has heard of or even cares about!"
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

Molotov Man wrote:So, are your smeared or just don't understand that Shepard and Jason are two different people???? :roll:

Either he doesn't understand that the print Jason was trying to buy was one that he created and not Shepard Fairey or he split the topic and started talking about Proud Parents offset....personally I am going with the fact he doesn't understand.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

1. Off topic...wrong thread...wrong print
2. Rehashed argument...try reading some other threads
3. The PP print and the offset are different....also it's obviously what people want
4. Bye, not nice knowing you
5. Phish Sucks
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

Gigantico wrote:5. Phish Sucks

That was just mean.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
DangerousBri
Swindler

Post by DangerousBri »

Backpackpunk wrote:

That was just mean.

Sometimes the truth hurts
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

DangerousBri wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:

That was just mean.

Fair
TBlaze
Giant

Post by TBlaze »

DangerousBri wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:

That was just mean.

Sometimes you have to reinstate the thruth.

easycraig wrote:I'm in.... whats another $900 when you owe THOUSANDS!!!!!
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

guys, just a general note that doesn't really need saying because the vast majority of the time it is how things go down....

differences of opinion are very cool.....thoughtful, well-reasoned discussions of differences are gold....mindless negativity, either first or in response, is eh....
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

mose wrote:guys, just a general note that doesn't really need saying because the vast majority of the time it is how things go down....

differences of opinion are very cool.....thoughtful, well-reasoned discussions of differences are gold....mindless negativity, either first or in response, is eh....

I agree with you, but this...

"I respect you guys enough as fellow collectors to not post here anymore and leave it at this."

...Isn't a discussion, it's a hit-and-run trolling.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

this is all very confusing.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

phishbeatles wrote:
And yeah I actually enjoy some of this guys work (sunsets are to die for) nice piece, and a few others as well, but I will not own anything just cause I think some of the things he does is decieving like doing this offset thing, besides the fact about policing ebay.

there are plenty of people who will buy the prints you "would have" bought on tuesdays. You are more than welcome to be here, just get a new user name first. :lol:
ca77
Giant

Post by ca77 »

phishbeatles wrote:
mcnail wrote:While this is all well and good, it is kind of hard to act like the idea of Obey employees policing Ebay is out of the question, especially when it has been publicly stated on the Obey front page that such practices would happen. Also, people always get asked numbers of Obey prints for that purpose, whether it is from Obey directly or a third party that is out to inform you. I don't necessarily agree that he should've canceled your bid (especially after your honest reply), but I don't think it's unreasonable to question your intentions. Jist sayin'.

From ObeyGiant.com

"As many of you know, we have been taking some aggressive action against ebay sellers/flippers and the incredible prices of the prints sold on ebay"

Again, I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption.

Exactly it wasn't unreasonable, and he even offered to trade the print to Jason if he wanted to and Jason didnt even mention anything in his reply back or in his post. And like the person stated above its been said they try to take aggresive action against sellers/flippers.

I just don't see how the people who have the first print are not upset about him reusing the image. Big woop it's a little different being an offset, its still the same thing.

But just be warned the more you don't speak up about this kinda stuff, the more hes going to keep reusing images. If you make an edition of 300 then leave it at that. That's just my opinion but if you guys like that kinda thing, then great. Just realize the more he does this the more the first prints are going to dive in value, and while we all know from being collectors of art etc.. that we initially don't buy a print hoping we can cash in on it years from now, it is nice knowing that yeah 10-15 years down the road you will be able to sell the print at a profitable price and can semi justify spending all the time and money on one of your passions. I definetly would be annoyed knowing I paid 200 bux for one of these only to find out a couple weeks later I could have gotten the same thing for 30 bux.

I just don't understand if he can't come up with a new design then just don't release a print, most artists don't release a print every week, your creative juices have to run dry at some point and there is nothing wrong with that. Why not pick out the best images and use them and disregard the stuff that is just mediocre?

I almost compare this to Phish, yes I said Phish omg.... At least in 2004 when they realized they were basically half assing there fans by not practicing, getting slopy, and were in bad shape personally they decided to hang up the towel and step back instead of just going throw the motions and keep on chugging.

So why does he not do this for his fans? Why does he use an old image instead of not releasing one? Because he knows he can still make money off of it and thats the bottom line.

So yeah bash away do whatever. I respect you guys enough as fellow collectors to not post here anymore and leave it at this. But hopefully you guys think about what I said above when in a couple months he does this again and your sitting on a piece that was worth a few hundred dollars but nobody will give you the time of day for that piece because they can just get the "offset" for alot cheaper.

And yeah I actually enjoy some of this guys work (sunsets are to die for) nice piece, and a few others as well, but I will not own anything just cause I think some of the things he does is decieving like doing this offset thing, besides the fact about policing ebay.

And oh yeah, GREATEST FIRST POST EVA!

tldr 2thamax
Our influence will be gigantic.
Propaganda Minister
Punk

Post by Propaganda Minister »

Dude if you check you art history carefully you'll see that many artists like to re-use images they produce, Edvard Munch, Frieda Kahlo, Picasso and especially Salvador Dali- he re-used the scene of Port Lligat, the rocks near his home, the figures he lifted from Jean Francoise Millet's "The Angelus" were especially used to great effect in more than a dozen paintings as well as drawings and also woodcuts for his illustration of Dante's "Divine Comedy"! The Proud Parents print was so good that it demanded an offset run because the 18 x 24 is a little too small, and if I could have afforded one of the HPM's I would have gone for it too. I personally am happy as hell to have both sizes in my collection. AND as a painter myself I know that it's not easy to come up with a brand new idea every week like clockwork, these guys do have family responsibilities and other concerns weighing on thier minds, give people a chance.
"Artists don't really see their work until someone takes it and puts it up on the wall someplace"-James Rosenquist 2003.
Propaganda Minister
Punk

Post by Propaganda Minister »

Oh and since "Sunsets" is my favorite piece ever, I would gladly give almost anything for a large size offset. Wouldn't you?
"Artists don't really see their work until someone takes it and puts it up on the wall someplace"-James Rosenquist 2003.
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Typhoon »

Phish is actually pretty good. Not sure why those would say the suck, cus they don't. I'm partial to the older stuff anyway. Stopped going to see them around 96. Shows I did see before that were top notch.
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037
phishbeatles
Punk

Post by phishbeatles »

Backpackpunk wrote:

Either he doesn't understand that the print Jason was trying to buy was one that he created and not Shepard Fairey or he split the topic and started talking about Proud Parents offset....personally I am going with the fact he doesn't understand.

Talking about Proud parents in the other paragraphs, glad someone has a half a brain around here! :shock:
phishbeatles
Punk

Post by phishbeatles »

Gigantico wrote:1. Off topic...wrong thread...wrong print
3. The PP print and the offset are different....also it's obviously what people want
5. Phish Sucks

Funny what band do you think is so godly? I would love to know. You saying Phish sux just prooves to me your ignorant when it comes to music and you've probably never picked up a musical instrument in your life.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:

Talking about Proud parents in the other paragraphs, glad someone has a half a brain around here! :shock:

You didn't really make that clear.

phishbeatles wrote:
5. Phish Sucks

Funny what band do you think is so godly? I would love to know. You saying Phish sux just prooves to me your ignorant when it comes to music and you've probably never picked up a musical instrument in your life.

At the Drive-In and Refused.
phishbeatles
Punk

Post by phishbeatles »

Propaganda Minister wrote:Dude if you check you art history carefully you'll see that many artists like to re-use images they produce, Edvard Munch, Frieda Kahlo, Picasso and especially Salvador Dali- he re-used the scene of Port Lligat, the rocks near his home, the figures he lifted from Jean Francoise Millet's "The Angelus" were especially used to great effect in more than a dozen paintings as well as drawings and also woodcuts for his illustration of Dante's "Divine Comedy"! The Proud Parents print was so good that it demanded an offset run because the 18 x 24 is a little too small, and if I could have afforded one of the HPM's I would have gone for it too. I personally am happy as hell to have both sizes in my collection. AND as a painter myself I know that it's not easy to come up with a brand new idea every week like clockwork, these guys do have family responsibilities and other concerns weighing on thier minds, give people a chance.

Definetly understand, hell Ryden does it alot to. The difference is those artists you name above probably don't take the same exact image make it bigger and call it a new release. Which in itself is pretty sad, to say that these guys have family responsibilites is kind of stretching it though. Your acting like he needs to put a print out every week to keep food in his families mouth, which is probably not the case as most artists don't release a print every week. He's just doing it because he knows you guys will lap it up regardless if its the same image. He's cashing in plain and simple.
phishbeatles
Punk

Post by phishbeatles »

Backpackpunk wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:

phishbeatles wrote:
5. Phish Sucks

Laugh are you serious dude, wow you just made my day. When's the last time Drive-in and Refused sold out a stadium? Are they able to throw festivals by themselves with 60-80,000 people their?
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:

phishbeatles wrote:
5. Phish Sucks

Laugh are you serious dude, wow you just made my day. When's the last time Drive-in and Refused sold out a stadium? Are they able to throw festivals by themselves with 60-80,000 people their?

Just because a band can't sell out a 60,000 person event doesn't mean they were not very influential as a band.
Also both bands had relatively short life spans compared to Phish so who knows what would have happened if they continued to be a band.
phishbeatles
Punk

Post by phishbeatles »

Backpackpunk wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:

phishbeatles wrote:
5. Phish Sucks

Just because a band can't sell out a 60,000 person event doesn't mean they were not very influential as a band.
Also both bands had relatively short life spans compared to Phish so who knows what would have happened if they continued to be a band.

I'm sure they would have been selling out stadiums if they would have stayed together :roll:
Yeah because screaming into a microphone and playing power chords takes talent since when? Thats the problem with your so-called hard core, it hasnt changed in 30 years, bad brains was doing that in the early eighties.
baxterpop
Giant

Post by baxterpop »

phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:
phishbeatles wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:

phishbeatles wrote:
5. Phish Sucks

justin timberlake sells out stadiums does that make him as good as phish? :lol: