official Ebay WOW this print went high Thread

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
Cookie Head
Giant

Re: official Ebay WOW this print went high Thread

Post by Cookie Head »

hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

fribhey wrote:
That auction had to be completely BS
I think it's legit. Unless the seller has cornered the market on kiss me deadly sets, there is little to gain from shilling a buy it now listing.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

hundreddollarhorse wrote:
fribhey wrote:
That auction had to be completely BS
I think it's legit. Unless the seller has cornered the market on kiss me deadly sets, there is little to gain from shilling a buy it now listing.
+1

"Worth exactly what you are willing to give up in order to get it"
on point like a decimalist?
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

anodyne13 wrote:Is this high or am I out of touch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-Chin ... 483dfbf758
Yeah, it's high. Most non-HPM woods are 2200 (primary), up to maybe 4500 for a primo image. That said, I believe the sale is legit. If someone really, really digs the image and doesn't care about getting their money back in the next 5 years, that price isn't completely shocking.
smartussi
Giant

Post by smartussi »

The sale is "legit"
....but the buyer said they bought it by accident and backed out of the deal.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

smartussi wrote:The sale is "legit"
So in other words, not "legit"
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
comiconart
Propaganda Engineer

Post by comiconart »

It was a "buy it now" listing. How do you "buy it by accident"?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Backpackpunk wrote:
smartussi wrote:The sale is "legit"
So in other words, not "legit"
exactly, how is sale legit if the buyer never meant to buy it in the first place?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

comiconart wrote:How do you "buy it by accident"?
:lol: Right?
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

there needs to be a way to show that this sale didn't complete on ebay, in the old listing.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

anodyne13 wrote:Is this high or am I out of touch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-Chin ... 483dfbf758
This is a great image and I don't think this is high for this piece.
propogandadan1
Posse

Post by propogandadan1 »

I would not have guessed this image would go for this much: http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-Obey ... _1260wt_85
add 'em
Swindler

Post by add 'em »

add 'em subtract 'em
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

i think that's one of the best prints he's done but $975 seems pretty high for it... either people are just starting to really appreciate it or they already have been appreciating it but it doesn't become available too often
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

not a print but definitely a lot a crack was smoked by the person who bid $57 for a blue "hello my name is" sticker:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0597124128

i got this same sticker on ebay last week for $5 :P
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

fribhey wrote:not a print but definitely a lot a crack was smoked by the person who bid $57 for a blue "hello my name is" sticker:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0597124128

i got this same sticker on ebay last week for $5 :P
There is def something afoot with Shep's prices recently. Seems like a clear trending back higher over the past month or so for everything. Or maybe I'm imagining things.
toobs
Giant

Post by toobs »

A Tyler Stout Thing jus went for $2,036 last night on fleBay, wow!!! I have a feeling that a ton of shill bidding was goin on, they've been sellin for 1000-1300 in the last 6 months and outta no where 2k, i think eBean folks like organizing and rigging auctions to up the avgs on prints, jus my conspiracy theory.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

toobs wrote:A Tyler Stout Thing jus went for $2,036 last night on fleBay, wow!!! I have a feeling that a ton of shill bidding was goin on, they've been sellin for 1000-1300 in the last 6 months and outta no where 2k, i think eBean folks like organizing and rigging auctions to up the avgs on prints, jus my conspiracy theory.
The EB folks are definately inflating prices with fake auctions.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

spagucci1 wrote:
toobs wrote:A Tyler Stout Thing jus went for $2,036 last night on fleBay, wow!!! I have a feeling that a ton of shill bidding was goin on, they've been sellin for 1000-1300 in the last 6 months and outta no where 2k, i think eBean folks like organizing and rigging auctions to up the avgs on prints, jus my conspiracy theory.
but what's the point of that? do they have their own auctions bid up and then after the auction file a claim that it wasn't paid - then re-list after they get their fees back and hope for a payday? seems like way too much hassle.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

fribhey wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
but what's the point of that? do they have their own auctions bid up and then after the auction file a claim that it wasn't paid - then re-list after they get their fees back and hope for a payday? seems like way too much hassle.

it's pretty easy: "buyer and seller have agreed not to complete the transaction". still shows as a sale.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

whyhoo wrote:
fribhey wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

it's pretty easy: "buyer and seller have agreed not to complete the transaction". still shows as a sale.
right, but what's the point? i can understand if the seller has a stash of the same or similar prints they want to unload but to do it on a print by print basis seems like a waste of time.
toobs
Giant

Post by toobs »

whyhoo wrote:
fribhey wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

yea, its gettin messy out there, then they come back to the last real bidder and give them a second chance offer at some stupid price, more power to the person whos willing to pay that kinda cash for a movie poster thats not even signed by the artist a majority of the time.

I guess maybe its not so much to inflate avgs but more so to inflate the final price of the sale, which in turn also inflates avgs