official Ebay WOW this print went high Thread

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sessone »

robotoil wrote:Dude, you have to see it in person to truly appreciate it's beauty. I think it marks a transitional place in Shepard's work. It's wild with the strobe light and the belly dancers too. :-)

hahah...im just suprised that a poster that sat around without selling for that long would sell for that high a mere week or so after it finally sold out...

i dont think its that ugly myself...better than the man/woman on obey with caution! :)
ChapPKP
Propaganda Engineer

Post by ChapPKP »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-Prin ... dZViewItem

It blows me away when the poster sells for this much...A few months ago I couldn't sell my signed/numbered print for this much
Check Out my EBAY Auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZchappkp
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Well, it really did not sell for a lot. Unless you consider $43 a lot and in some parts of the world that may be a years salary. However, I may have to agree with you on this considering that I find this one of the most unattractive posters Shepard has ever put out. I don't think I'd want this one for $5.
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

ChapPKP wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-Print-OBEY-GIANT-Mike-GiantOne-poster_W0QQitemZ150062759787QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20149QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It blows me away when the poster sells for this much...A few months ago I couldn't sell my signed/numbered print for this much

$43 for the unsigned is expensive, I bought a signed and numbered edition last week for $48 from a guy in Germany, waiting for my prints (this Shep vs Giant + a Kinsey + a Mike Giant)... paid in $ but for me in €uros which is a good thing !!

XXXXX
ca77
Giant

Post by ca77 »

robotoil wrote:Well, it really did not sell for a lot. Unless you consider $43 a lot and in some parts of the world that may be a years salary. However, I may have to agree with you on this considering that I find this one of the most unattractive posters Shepard has ever put out. I don't think I'd want this one for $5.

you're nuts.
Our influence will be gigantic.
dus
Posse

Post by dus »

nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

lepublicnme wrote:
ChapPKP wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-Print-OBEY-GIANT-Mike-GiantOne-poster_W0QQitemZ150062759787QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20149QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$43 for the unsigned is expensive, I bought a signed and numbered edition last week for $48 from a guy in Germany, waiting for my prints (this Shep vs Giant + a Kinsey + a Mike Giant)... paid in $ but for me in €uros which is a good thing !!

XXXXX

This one is fake. This guy makes them himself.
henna
-

Post by henna »

how can u tell?
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

henna wrote:how can u tell?

It's been discussed a few times now. I bought one once. I have no idea how to explain this, but when he made the one I got it wasn't 100% lined up when he copied it.

He has two diffrent Ebay ID's and sells all the time. Jerry Waddle and I have both mentioned this guy a few times. The other on he sells is the DJ Shadow print.

How you tell, is he describes them as posters, not prints, and he makes no reference to them being signed or numbered.
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

henna wrote:how can u tell?

note the word 'poster' instead of print. very purposeful, as it is not the print that everyone is expecting when they click on the auction but a litho poster not done/authorized by Obey Giant.

the market has been flooded with non-screenprint knock-offs of Giant vs. Giant II. Check the sellers other items and his feedback negatives and you can see a pattern with him.
Last edited by mose on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McKenna
World's Smallest Giant

Post by McKenna »

Amazingly, people are paying the crazy prices set by uk_art_prints. Prices are usually double the going rate for the print, but this one is particularly bad:

Obey offset poster set for $157.97. It's still available for $35 from ObeyGiant!
henna
-

Post by henna »

that guy is my idol!
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

There is supply, demand and then there is ignorance.
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

Amazingly, people are paying the crazy prices set by uk_art_prints. Prices are usually double the going rate for the print, but this one is particularly bad:

Yet I scored a Mr Spray a few weeks ago from him for $425, not bad IMO. Id think hed charge a G for that one. He had $425 for Mr Spray and $700+ for Godfather set, ???
henna
-

Post by henna »

Just goes to show that there are good deals everywhere if you are willing to look.
hightimecarrsim
Punk

Post by hightimecarrsim »

dus wrote:This is goin up pretty good

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shepard-Fairey-prin ... dZViewItem

annoyingly so as i am only 1 of the 2 bidders
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

wow is right. I didn't buy that one. I didn't like the print. I think that is when the runs went up to 300. That is going up nicely.
byrnexxx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by byrnexxx »

keep in mind with the UK prints the prices are adjusted for currency conversion
Mike Panic
Giant

Post by Mike Panic »

yea i know... i posed the US conversion of the prints...
Mike Panic photography & travel journal
GO! Tattoo Removal Eastern PA Laser Tattoo Removal
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sessone »

i think the dollar is also really weak against the pound sterling, so it makes stuff all the more expensive when its converted in dollars...same thing with the euro.

time to bomb some more folks i reckon.
cause i wreck when i tangle...
Mike Panic
Giant

Post by Mike Panic »

sessone wrote:i think the dollar is also really weak against the pound sterling, so it makes stuff all the more expensive when its converted in dollars...same thing with the euro.

time to bomb some more folks i reckon.

the $ is at a 20 year low to the pound sterling
Mike Panic photography & travel journal
GO! Tattoo Removal Eastern PA Laser Tattoo Removal
sessone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sessone »

Mike Panic wrote:the $ is at a 20 year low to the pound sterling

/starts dumping tea into boston harbor
cause i wreck when i tangle...
henna
-

Post by henna »

I think the value of the dollar is a signifigant factor for the recent jump in prices on the secondary market. I've made a number of sales to UK buyers lately for pretty high prices. But with the dollar down against the pound, 100 USD is less and less money to them every day.

I'm curious to what extent the UK / European purchases are pushing prices up. I mean, as the dollar = less and less of a brit's paycheck they don't mind spending more and more USD's on prints. Those of us in the US are looking at it as prices skyrocketing, but in reality, we sellers earn more in dollars than what they lose in pounds or euros.

The increase in Obey popularity due to banksy has increased the number of people looking for shepard's work. While at the same time the sliding dollar has made OG prices cheaper and cheaper to foreign buyers. This might explain such drastic jumps in the 2ndary market as an increase in demand with a fall in price would obviously create a sort of buying frenzy.

There has been a lot of speculation as to whether or not people buying shepard's work with the intent to flip it are going to get burned. Personally, I'm going to keep an eye on the value of the dollar as a major indicator of the OG market. As the dollar begins to rebound, I'll move my risk out of OG, if it continues to fall, I'll push more into OG prints.

Comments?
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

henna wrote:Comments?

nah, you really nailed it IMO....