Ebay / Paypal Seller Protection Policy - IMPORTANT!

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
wildbill
Posse

Ebay / Paypal Seller Protection Policy - IMPORTANT!

Post by wildbill »

If you ever sell an item through ebay, all you have to do is follow these steps to be protected from fraud:

11.3 Qualification Requirements. In order to qualify for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, you must meet the following requirements:

a. You must have a Verified Business or Verified Premier Account at the time of the transaction,

b. The transaction must be between a US, UK or Canadian buyer and a US, UK or Canadian seller,

c. The payment must be listed as "Seller Protection Policy Eligible" on the "Transaction Details" page, or cleared by PayPal through Payment Review,

d. You must accept a single payment from one PayPal Account for the purchase,

e. You must not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal,

f. You must ship the purchased item to the address listed on the "Transaction Details" page, and that address must be identified as a Confirmed Address,

g. You must ship the item to the buyer within 7 Days of receiving payment,

h. You must have trackable online proof of delivery from an approved shipper to the address on the "Transaction Details" page. For transactions involving $250.00 USD or more, you must provide a proof of receipt that was signed or otherwise acknowledged by the buyer and can be viewed online, (If you paid in a currency other than US dollars, the following amounts apply for this section: $325.00 CAD, €200.00 EUR, £150.00 GBP, ¥28000.00 JPY, $350.00 AUD, 330.00 CHF, 1,600.00 NOK, 2,000.00 SEK, 1,500.00 DKK, 800.00 PLN, 55000.00 HUF, 6,000.00 CZK, $400.00 SGD, $2,000.00 HKD, $380.00 NZD), and

i. You must respond to PayPal's requests for information within the time period PayPal specifies.
Please note that in order to qualify for our Seller Protection Policy you must ship the item as required in this section. If you hand deliver an item, or provide delivery in any manner other than required in this section, your transaction will not qualify for the Seller Protection Policy.
wildbill
Posse

Post by wildbill »

If you don't follow these steps you're extremely exposed to fraud.

I won't explain publicly exactly how the scam works, but its very easy for anyone to pull and in the end Paypal and the Buyer get you're money and the item.

It happened to me 1 month after I had already shipped the item, received a thank you from the buyer, and positive feedback. Paypal took the money directly out of my account and told me "better luck next time"
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Paypal isn't taking the money, the buyer is, right?
wildbill
Posse

Post by wildbill »

PDC wrote:Paypal isn't taking the money, the buyer is, right?

Well, Paypal takes the money out of you're account, gives it back to the buyer or credit card company and wipes therir hands clean of it.
Case open and close just like that.....nothing you can do. Buyer gets item, credit card company gets money back, you get f*cked. You can file a police report after the fact, but thats the only other legal option that I'm aware of.
subculture
Punk

Post by subculture »

Wildbill wrote:
h. You must have trackable online proof of delivery from an approved shipper to the address on the "Transaction Details" page. For transactions involving $250.00 USD or more, you must provide a proof of receipt that was signed or otherwise acknowledged by the buyer and can be viewed online

This may be their policy but it is often not followed.

I purchased a Space Invader print on eBay from a UK seller and never got it. Filed a claim with PP but they found in favor of the seller because Royal Air showed that it was delivered to the US.

No proof that it was delivered to me or even my state, but PP didn't want to hear it. I was out the money. Not cool.
scud80
Disposable Assassin

Post by scud80 »

that's why you need to make sure you use a credit card for anything remotely expensive through paypal. if paypal says they won't help, call your CC and dispute the charge. i've done this successfully several times when paypal wouldn't do anything for me.
subculture
Punk

Post by subculture »

Yup. I learned my lesson.

It's tempting to keep a balance in PP to use as "mad money". Sometimes it stings less when you buy that print you really shouldn't be buying if you don't charge it or take it out of your bank account.

In reality its all the same, but...
password
Giant

Post by password »

Do Canadian and UK buyers all have confirmed addresses now (for US sellers)?
McKenna
World's Smallest Giant

Post by McKenna »

password wrote:Do Canadian and UK buyers all have confirmed addresses now (for US sellers)?

I noticed that my address is now verified, and I'm in Ireland. If Ireland has it, the UK will certainly have it. Not sure about Canada, but I'd imagine it's probably the same.
"Opportunities seem more valuable to us when their availability is limited"
password
Giant

Re: Ebay / Paypal Seller Protection Policy - IMPORTANT!

Post by password »

wildbill wrote:If you ever sell an item through ebay, all you have to do is follow these steps to be protected from fraud:

11.3 Qualification Requirements. In order to qualify for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, you must meet the following requirements:

f. You must ship the purchased item to the address listed on the "Transaction Details" page, and that address must be identified as a Confirmed Address

Is section f. no longer a requirement? You can ship to the address on the payment even if it is not a confirmed address, correct? Does anyone have a Paypal or eBay help link that explains this? It's hard as heck to find information about these kinda things.
wildbill
Posse

Re: Ebay / Paypal Seller Protection Policy - IMPORTANT!

Post by wildbill »

password wrote:
wildbill wrote:If you ever sell an item through ebay, all you have to do is follow these steps to be protected from fraud:

f. You must ship the purchased item to the address listed on the "Transaction Details" page, and that address must be identified as a Confirmed Address

Is section f. no longer a requirement? You can ship to the address on the payment even if it is not a confirmed address, correct? Does anyone have a Paypal or eBay help link that explains this? It's hard as heck to find information about these kinda things.

This thread is from last November. A new seller protection policy took effect three weeks ago. Here it is:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... spp-policy

^^section 11 is seller protection

Paypal customer service number: 402-952-8899
password
Giant

Post by password »

Great, thanks. One more stupid question I have is...where exactly does it say eligible or ineligible for seller protection on the transactions details page? Is that check mark logo thingie on the top left it?
kentt
Punk

Re:

Post by kentt »

McKenna wrote:
password wrote:Do Canadian and UK buyers all have confirmed addresses now (for US sellers)?

I noticed that my address is now verified, and I'm in Ireland. If Ireland has it, the UK will certainly have it. Not sure about Canada, but I'd imagine it's probably the same.

Yes Canadian can have confirmed addresses. I have one in Canada.