ebay listing removed

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
extremeimages77
Giant

ebay listing removed

Post by extremeimages77 »

yup i got shafted today...dont know if there makin the rounds or not but i do see lots of others like this on ebay...so you may want to do some editing before you too LOSE you fees...from ebay

You recently listed the following Fixed Price listing:

130185742848 - Shepard Fairey Obey Giant Street Weapons MINT+ banksy

The listing was removed because it violated the eBay Keyword Spamming policy. The violation occurred when you included the following information in your listing:

Shepard Fairey Obey Giant Street Weapons MINT+ banksy

We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

Keyword spamming is the practice of placing inappropriate words in searchable text to draw attention to Web content. To ensure that members' searches produce relevant results, sellers are not permitted to put brand names or other inappropriate keywords in a listing title or description for the purpose of attracting members to a listing. Sellers can only include a brand name under certain limited conditions.

* Use of Brand Names: eBay policy does not permit members to include any brand names in the listing title other than the specific brand name used by the company that manufactured or produced the item offered in the listing.

* Custom-made items: Even if an item has been fabricated to visually match a specific product line of a recognized brand name, members are not permitted to include the name of the product line or the related brand name in the listing title.

* Use of Celebrity or Artist Names: eBay policy does not permit members to include celebrity names or the names of artists, authors, or other known figures in the listing title other than the specific celebrity or known figure that created, wrote or officially endorsed the item offered in the listing. Under eBay policy, celebrity names are treated as being synonymous with brand names.

This means that although a celebrity may have worn a similar item or made such an item popular, members are not permitted to use the name of the celebrity or known figure in the listing title.

eBay policy permits a seller to use *one* name as a comparison within the subtitle or description section of the listing.

For more information on Keyword Spamming visit the following Help page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/keyword-spam.html

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
T.C.z.
Posse

Post by T.C.z. »

I see this a lot, and while almost everyone does it, I often wonder how many times this type of stuff results in someone finding your auction who wouldn't have found it anyway. I get it if you're selling something like a completely unknown artist, but who is searching for bansky, running into an obey listing, and bidding on the auction when they never would have found the listing without "banksy" in the title? I just can't imagine it's many.
shawndoc
Posse

Post by shawndoc »

Quit keyword spamming and you have nothing to worry about. If I want a SF print, I'll search for his name. If I want a Banksy I'll type in his name.

If I'm looking to buy a transformer, I don't want to see listings of GoBots. If I want a Megatron, I don't want to see listings for Optimus.
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

shawndoc wrote:Quit keyword spamming and you have nothing to worry about. If I want a SF print, I'll search for his name. If I want a Banksy I'll type in his name.

If I'm looking to buy a transformer, I don't want to see listings of GoBots. If I want a Megatron, I don't want to see listings for Optimus.

yup this really annoys me too.

Ebay mostly relies on people reporting items, so its either an annoyed banksy fan who has had to wade through 100's of items to find the proper banksy stuff

or another seller knocking out the competition
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

stickee wrote:
shawndoc wrote:Quit keyword spamming and you have nothing to worry about. If I want a SF print, I'll search for his name. If I want a Banksy I'll type in his name.

Ebay mostly relies on people reporting items, so its either an annoyed banksy fan who has had to wade through 100's of items to find the proper banksy stuff

i was thinking a tire kicker with nothing better to do
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

extremeimages77 wrote:
stickee wrote:

i was thinking a tire kicker with nothing better to do

yup that too!
jwaddle
Posse

Hype

Post by jwaddle »

I've always viewed this as HYPE. I have never been a fan of HYPE. One can only be a victim of HYPE.

There is so much HYPE on e-bay that any reduction at all would be a blessing.

List an item on it's own merits. If you believe e-bay descriptions then every Shepard Fairey print is really rare, sold out immediately and this will be your last chance to get it so you better bid what ever it takes to buy this one because you will never get this opportunity again, ever.

If you want to make a comparison with Banksy or Warhol or Jack the Ripper then do it in the description. You can do that and still be within the rules and anyone really searching seriously for something will look for key words in both the title and the description. You have that option already.

I think e-bay needs more controls not less. All auctions always have many rules and if you don't like the rules then don't participate in the auction.
Jerry @ Ducky Waddle's Emporium
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

At least make a sticker or promise a .jpg of a Banksy picture. I mean, rules are rules. :wink:
jwaddle
Posse

rules are rules

Post by jwaddle »

Gigantico wrote:At least make a sticker or promise a .jpg of a Banksy picture. I mean, rules are rules. :wink:

:lol: :lol: rules are made to be broken and lawyers are paid to find loopholes.
Jerry @ Ducky Waddle's Emporium
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

I guess if ebay could actually prove that Banksy and Shepard are definately two different people they would have a rock solid arguement. :wink:
lb1469
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lb1469 »

Gigantico wrote:At least make a sticker or promise a .jpg of a Banksy picture. I mean, rules are rules. :wink:

eBay also considers the offering of an insignificant item like "a free Banksy sticker" as a spamming technique. I know it happens all the time, but that is just because eBay is not notified of those infractions most of the time, but if you read the rules carefully, it's in there.

Yeah, and I hate it too. Try searching for a legit Banksy on eBay and see how much crepe everyone is trying to pawn off.