Dear Posse

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Dear Posse

Post by admonkey »

"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

hahaha

now could you imagine the problems with the server if that was next weeks print?
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

It's like, come on already.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

robotoil wrote:It's like, come on already.
Xpoc
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Xpoc »

Gigantico wrote:
robotoil wrote:It's like, come on already.
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

today sucked
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
McKenna
World's Smallest Giant

Post by McKenna »

That's hilarious.
"Opportunities seem more valuable to us when their availability is limited"
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Gosh darn it, do I have to post an image to say A$s?
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

right? but honestly... even a little cluster consisting of a few dedicated application servers and a couple of DB servers behind a load balancer does cost some coin ($100k+ / year)... probably not the kind of coin obey is willing to drop to alleviate the hassle so the flippers can get the prints that much easier.

at least it makes it a little more fair if everyone is dealing with the same BS.
lb1469
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lb1469 »

whyhoo wrote:right? but honestly... even a little cluster consisting of a few dedicated application servers and a couple of DB servers behind a load balancer does cost some coin ($100k+ / year)... probably not the kind of coin obey is willing to drop to alleviate the hassle so the flippers can get the prints that much easier.

at least it makes it a little more fair if everyone is dealing with the same BS.

I think amount of frustration one has to go through to get a print from OG has the opposite affect on flipping.

I think the more frustrating and time consuming it becomes to get a print, the more attractive the after market becomes to more people and the more disappointed people there are, the higher the prints will sell on eBay or elsewhere.

I gave up after an hour. I’m a big Gehry fan and really wanted this print, but my time is worth more than what I will end up paying for this print next week on eBay.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

I have a feeling today was a bit of an anomaly, I think you might have seen a small spike for this print because of the Gehry fans and flippers hoping to make the same amount that the Zeppelin prints went for, but I don't think that would have caused the server to melt down that much. The biggest problem besides the server meltdown was the interaction between paypal and OG.com, I have a feeling that there may have been some issues with the code "breaking" (for lack of a better term). The reason I say this is because as there were less people trying to get this print 3-4 hours after it went up there were still some problems with the site. Give it a week and we will be back to our usual 30 minutes of hair pulling and fist pounding instead of the 3-4 hour crepe we went though today.

PS I still think OG could do something about making a better site though.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
lb1469
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lb1469 »

I don't know. I didn't have any trouble with PP because I could not get the Obey site to load for the first 3 hours. Never happened to me before. I think others were in the same boat.
PROTECT ME FROM WHAT I WANT
lb1469
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lb1469 »

But I hope your right about the return to "normal" BPP.
PROTECT ME FROM WHAT I WANT
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

something was definitely up today... my guess is that someone inadvertently launched a minor denial of service attack by trying to get a script to buy the print for them. or a bunch of people tried the same script... or something to that effect...
on point like a decimalist?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

whyhoo wrote:right? but honestly... even a little cluster consisting of a few dedicated application servers and a couple of DB servers behind a load balancer does cost some coin ($100k+ / year)... probably not the kind of coin obey is willing to drop to alleviate the hassle so the flippers can get the prints that much easier.

true dat, but you could outsource it and just pay for the extra bandwidth during releases. They would be better prepared to thwart a DOS too.

If it stiffels flippers then I don't mind.
Last edited by cybernigel on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

hehe... $100k/ year IS outsourcing it and letting someone else do what they do best! and with a huge peak spike once a week, i think they're already paying out the nose for bandwidth alone.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

whyhoo wrote:hehe... $100k/ year IS outsourcing it and letting someone else do what they do best! and with a huge peak spike once a week, i think they're already paying out the nose for bandwidth alone.

Nah, you can get a beast of processing, storage, and **18Tb** of public data transfer for under $2.5K/mo from these guys:

http://www.layeredtech.com/hosting-solu ... puting.php
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

I agree it is time to start making waves.

I know i posted it 2 times before but seen as the top image is so good and were on the subject.

robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

whyhoo wrote:something was definitely up today... my guess is that someone inadvertently launched a minor denial of service attack by trying to get a script to buy the print for them. or a bunch of people tried the same script... or something to that effect...

hahahaha. "inadvertently".
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

cybernigel wrote:
whyhoo wrote:hehe... $100k/ year IS outsourcing it and letting someone else do what they do best! and with a huge peak spike once a week, i think they're already paying out the nose for bandwidth alone.

Nah, you can get a beast of processing, storage, and **18Tb** of public data transfer for under $2.5K/mo from these guys:

http://www.layeredtech.com/hosting-solu ... puting.php

ahhhh... but do they have "fanatical support"?!

:wink:
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

i honestly get the feeling like they don't really care, or have bigger fish to fry. this server traffic issue has been around since they went to the 1 per-person limit and scheduled releases back in '06.

some of the tech related people tried kicking and screaming back then and nothing has changed except for a new non-paypal based cart that sucks more. i guess the only consolation is that it took care of the refunds we were getting back when it was a paypal based shopping cart without real-time inventory control.
"I don't know how to play chess, but life is a chess game for me." - MBW (haha!)
"When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down"
my design portfolio
online reef tank profiles and marine aquarium blogs
80's BMX bikes
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

bboy! check yur pm's mate!
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Bumping this feels appropriate.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

admonkey wrote:Bumping this feels appropriate.

seriously
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

admonkey wrote:Bumping this feels appropriate.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.